Scene Optimizer [Commercial]

Comments

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

OK, panic over. It seems that I must have run the Oprtimizer on the scene before I had exited from SB3. Thankfully I had saved the skin MAT Presets so re-applied them and ran the Optimizer again and now the reduced resolution textures are placed in the correct (and permanent) folder.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049

I confirm, that this is VERY IMPORTANT tool to have. Why? It is almost impossible to render something on GPU with 6GB VRAM without it. It almost always switch to CPU, because of memory requirements for scenes.

This tool helps very FAST and EASY to adjust scene that it will render on GPU. For me it usually takes a few click, where I pick downsize all background object by 2 and that is it. 

I do not know if I do it right, but before I use it, I save copy of my DUF file, open it and select only "V3DSO 02 Scene Optimizer".

I do not restore anything after, because I am sure that original file has not been changed and so far I understand, it doesn´t rewrite original file in library, so ...

For those they want to see how it works, I found nice video on youtube. For me this video is better then manual, but that is me.

So thank you for this tool and I hope you will continue to improve it :)

Thank you for your very nice comment! Concerning the video, I just want to mention that the creator of the video says that is is not important to restart DS before rendering. Yet it is important if you want to benefit fully of the speed enhancement. 

marble said:

I have just bought and started using Skin Builder 3 and when I completed a character with her new skin I ran the Scene Optimizer and all looked perfectly good. Except that SB3 creates temporary files which need cleaning out frequently (that one character created 1.8GB of tempory files). By clearing them out, however, the saved scene I created earlier with Scene Optimzer now doesn;t find the textures - I get lots of "file not found" errors. Can someone give me a hint on how to work around this problem - I know that people do use these two utilities together.

I don't have SB3, it is hard for me to answer. I know that with SB2, there are files created in the temp folder of DS. What I would do for SB2 is to make a "Store" first to get a copy of the temporary files in a permanent folder, since "Store" is also a LIE baker. Then I would make eventually a restore on the figure only, and then run the optimizer, I think it should work fine this way. If SB3 works the same, the same procedure should work too.

marble said:

OK, panic over. It seems that I must have run the Oprtimizer on the scene before I had exited from SB3. Thankfully I had saved the skin MAT Presets so re-applied them and ran the Optimizer again and now the reduced resolution textures are placed in the correct (and permanent) folder.

OK sorry I had not seen your latest comment. So this is fine now, ignore my proposal for solving the issue ! Nice to see you solved your issue :)

• Not sure if this has been asked or covered somewhere in this thread, but WHERE do the textures end up?

Seeing if I reduce the textures and reload my scene, where are those textures stored and does this mean at some point my main drive will fill with reduced textured files?

Or are they stored in my Daz runtime....

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited September 2017
    avxp said:

Not sure if this has been asked or covered somewhere in this thread, but WHERE do the textures end up?

Seeing if I reduce the textures and reload my scene, where are those textures stored and does this mean at some point my main drive will fill with reduced textured files?

Or are they stored in my Daz runtime....

You choose where to save them. There is a button in the Scene Optimizer interface that lets you browse for a folder to store them in. Scene Optimizer will create subfolders in that selected folder. Scene Optimizer will remember the folder you selected and use it each time, until you choose to change it by selecting a different folder. You don't have to select a folder on your main drive. I have mine on a different drive than my OS.

The second promo image on the store page for the product shows this interface.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Good to know, thanks.

I get nervous saving and moving files around in Daz.

A few too many things seem to break when you mess with their default.

Scene Optimizer sometimes gives me errors saying it can't find certain textures upon reloading the scene.

edited September 2017
    avxp said:

Good to know, thanks.

I get nervous saving and moving files around in Daz.

A few too many things seem to break when you mess with their default.

Scene Optimizer sometimes gives me errors saying it can't find certain textures upon reloading the scene.

Hello

this is weird because nobody contacted me so far with such an issue so this is pretty unusual I guess. There must be a solution for you. First where are the files saved.

For all the content installed manually or using DIM the files are written in the original folder meaning the same runtime as the one used for the full sized images. So normally there should never be issues for them.

For all the content installed by smart connect, this was not possible this is why in the interface you have the choice of the main folder location for these images. The best is to choose a one from the dropdown list proposed because these are the mapped content folders for daz. If you prefer to choose another location on your hard drive, don't forget to specify to daz studio that this must be a mapped content folder.

Let me know if it solved your issue. If not in which case are you? Manual install? DIM install? Daz Connect install?

So that we can see how to solve it in case it would not have worked...

PS : about how it fills your computer. The files which are supposed to be created are analysed so that if they already exist they are not overwritten or written again. The job is only made once this preserves the hard drives.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • This product is great! A scene to large to be swallowed by my GTX980TI was processed in minutes.....only one character had dark skin due to a wrongly translated (and incorrectly used IMHO by the original PA in the early days of iRay), but a reprocessing by hand of the said opacity map solved that. And then a scene using Fern Lake and 2 fully dressed G3 characters which would make my GTX creak of fear rendered like a charm due to greatly reduced memory usage.

Greets,

• ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209
    edited September 2017

And to Darkspaceworker, may I add it makes no sense most of the time, DAZ's charachters and clothing are made for close-ups......i a 5000 x 8000 render.....a 4K texture map makes no sense when you render a full character as part of a scene. It always bothered and hindered me, until this script came along.

Greets,

Post edited by ArtisanS on
  • ArtisanS said:

And to Darkspaceworker, may I add it makes no sense most of the time, DAZ's charachters and clothing are made for close-ups......i a 5000 x 8000 render.....a 4K texture map makes no sense when you render a full character as part of a scene. It always bothered and hindered me, until this script came along.

Greets,

same, yet i was using a 10000x10000 render.

• ArtisanS said:

This product is great! A scene to large to be swallowed by my GTX980TI was processed in minutes.....only one character had dark skin due to a wrongly translated (and incorrectly used IMHO by the original PA in the early days of iRay), but a reprocessing by hand of the said opacity map solved that. And then a scene using Fern Lake and 2 fully dressed G3 characters which would make my GTX creak of fear rendered like a charm due to greatly reduced memory usage.

Greets,

Thanks for the comment! That's what Scene Optimizer is made for... With a 780 Ti, I did not really had the choice :)

ArtisanS said:

Greets,

Yes you are right, most of the time, some 1024x1024 can be enough, but when PA, as I am, make some texture, we are forced to anticipate the fact that some users want to make close ups, this is why maps are in general 4K.

ArtisanS said:

Greets,

same, yet i was using a 10000x10000 render.

..... o_O..... Does it really exists?

• I lack the funds for this as I need to save up for my Threadripper build, but this is a must-have for me! Along with your Blender tutorial, wish-listed for now!

• BruganBrugan Posts: 365

Just had to stop by this thread again and say thank you for making this product. I have been using it a ton since I currently have a 4gb card and it's amazing, especially with the smooth texture reduction you can hardly tell the textures have been reduced most of the time, even at 4x reduction. This is truly a must-have for anyone using DS.

• I lack the funds for this as I need to save up for my Threadripper build, but this is a must-have for me! Along with your Blender tutorial, wish-listed for now!

Thanks! I understand :)

Brugan said:

Just had to stop by this thread again and say thank you for making this product. I have been using it a ton since I currently have a 4gb card and it's amazing, especially with the smooth texture reduction you can hardly tell the textures have been reduced most of the time, even at 4x reduction. This is truly a must-have for anyone using DS.

You are really welcome! Indeed most of the time the textures can be strongly reduced if you don't render close ups without visible effect after rendering. Thanks a lot for this nice comment again :)

• Due to my basic and small renders taking days to render, I bought this due to a recommendation (I'd missed it in the store at the time so didn't even know when it was released, let alone it existed).

Anyway, I followed the instructions for texture reduction and after reopening the scene (after having saved it before closing DS as instructed), all textures still showed the originals. What have I missed? Do the items need to be selected in both the Scene and Surfaces tabs before doing the optimizer?

• Due to my basic and small renders taking days to render, I bought this due to a recommendation (I'd missed it in the store at the time so didn't even know when it was released, let alone it existed).

Anyway, I followed the instructions for texture reduction and after reopening the scene (after having saved it before closing DS as instructed), all textures still showed the originals. What have I missed? Do the items need to be selected in both the Scene and Surfaces tabs before doing the optimizer?

Hello! First thanks for using this tool!

Your issue is weird, nobody ever mentioned this to me - well it worked for everybody I know so far - so I feel comfortable to tell you we should find a solution to your problem.

Here is what you can do first : When you apply the optimizer, make sure that all the items you want to "optimize" are checked in the checklist proposed in the first tab of the interface which opens when you double click on the optimizer. Then, just after you apply the optimizer, go and have a look at the Surfaces Tab / Editor for at least one of these optimized items (the ones checked in the checklist). Normally in the surface Editor, the names of the maps should have changed, for instance if the map name was "TheFace.jpg", now the new map face should be "TheFace 2048x2048.jpg" or something like that (depending on the image name and of its initial resolution). The best way to check this is to have a look at the "diffuse color" or "base color" image map. You just have to place the mouse cursor above the little map slot to see the name of the map displayed.

Normally :

- if the name has changed, you can save your scene and when you re-open it, then the maps are still the lower resolution ones.

- If the name has not changed, it means that the maps was not reduced, so in this case let me know here it did not work, so that I can try and find out what was wrong in this specific case of figure.

Is it OK for you to proceed this way to solve your issue?

•  

Hello! First thanks for using this tool!

Your issue is weird, nobody ever mentioned this to me - well it worked for everybody I know so far - so I feel comfortable to tell you we should find a solution to your problem.

Here is what you can do first : When you apply the optimizer, make sure that all the items you want to "optimize" are checked in the checklist proposed in the first tab of the interface which opens when you double click on the optimizer. Then, just after you apply the optimizer, go and have a look at the Surfaces Tab / Editor for at least one of these optimized items (the ones checked in the checklist). Normally in the surface Editor, the names of the maps should have changed, for instance if the map name was "TheFace.jpg", now the new map face should be "TheFace 2048x2048.jpg" or something like that (depending on the image name and of its initial resolution). The best way to check this is to have a look at the "diffuse color" or "base color" image map. You just have to place the mouse cursor above the little map slot to see the name of the map displayed.

Normally :

- if the name has changed, you can save your scene and when you re-open it, then the maps are still the lower resolution ones.

- If the name has not changed, it means that the maps was not reduced, so in this case let me know here it did not work, so that I can try and find out what was wrong in this specific case of figure.

Is it OK for you to proceed this way to solve your issue?

Thank you for your response. Before I had even posted here I had re-read the pdf, reapplied the scene optimizer (making sure all I wanted to change was checked) and, after re-application, I did check the surfaces tab to see if the names of the textures had changed. They hadn't. I even checked the directory where the reduced maps were written and they are there but the textures' names hadnt changed. Both times of applying the scene optimizer, I had saved and closed, waited a few minutes then reopened and still the textures hadn't changed to the optimised versions.

However, today (my today since I'd posted my issue yesterday my time), I've opened and checked and the new optimised textures are attached. So, goodness knows what was going on.

So, I thank you for trying to help but it seems it was just my poota having a brain dead moment; figuratively speaking, of course lol.

JUST FOR INFORMATION :

JANUARY 2018 PLANNED UPDATE :

As some of you may have noticed, there are more and more png with alpha transparency used for make up or the eyebrows of Genesis 8 females. The map reduction of these, due to the transparency, often leads to a "black face" phenomenon. The logical solution should be to unchek the checkbox in the interface "Also reduce LIE maps / Also replace on surfaces png files with alpha transparency by their lower resolution version (see comments bottom of this tab)" and rerun the script, but it presently does not work, because until today, if the "black map" has already been created, it is loaded anyway, unless you physically remove the "black reduced image" from the content folder.

The bug which this january update solves is this bug : if you already had reduced these maps with transparency, then they were reloaded even if you unchecked the checkbox mentioned above. After this update (to be submitted before the 11th of january), this box will be unchecked by default, and the automatic load of the reduced maps with transparency will be disabled. This will prevent the "black face" phenomenon and if, by error, you check this box and the face becomes black after running the script, then you simply have to undo the script in Daz Studio, and re-run it without checking the box. The counterpart will be that the maximum width and height displayed by the interface for your figure will remain unchanged since the size of the maps with transparency will not change.

The update is ready, I still want to test a few cases of figures and then prepare the update package before submission. Believe me I'm sorry about this issue.

• Jack238Jack238 Posts: 117

Hi

Thanks for the update. 

You are welcome. The update is live today ;)
  • Thank you for the update :)

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited April 2018

I have a question. There are a few objects that don't retain optimization once the file is saved, closed and re-opened. I'm wondering if this is because they were originally added to the scene as part of a scene subset. (A character with clothes and hair.)

ETA: LOL, it isn't even applying them before save, according to re-running the script. Hmm. Except the file name itself (and the file) IS shrunk, so it's just that the script is reporting it at way, way reduced, and I've been shrinking my textures down to nothing by running it over and over again. That's no good. I do wonder if it's somehow related to the scene-subset thing though.

Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

It doesn't seem like the optimizer is saving reduced files where it says it's supposed to.  I've got a specific path set to my own runtime.  When I reduced the Tween Julie texture files, all the new files were written into the default Runtime\DAZ\Characters\Genesis3\TweenJulie7 folder and not the one I specified.  Is this how it's supposed to work?  And if  so, why is there a big message saying the files will be stored somewhere else?  See attached screenshots.

ScreenOptimizer.jpg
    639 x 415 - 85K
    DAZ Tween Julie Folder.jpg
    486 x 244 - 69K
  • ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

It is doing the same thing for me.  There are no newly-generated files inside of the directories which I created.  They are all inside of the products' original Runtime/textures location.  I would have to say there is a bug in the script.

The folder you specify in that dialog is where low resolution files are saved for products that you installed with Daz Connect. That is stated in the text in the dialog box itself, visible in your screenshot. The product documentation PDF file will give you more information about this, too.

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

I did miss that.  So is there a way for Non_Connect installed maps to be targeted on the save?

edited April 2018
    Connatic said:

I did miss that.  So is there a way for Non_Connect installed maps to be targeted on the save?

Not that I recall off the top of my head. I'm not at my DS computer now, so I can't check. Does the PDF User Guide address that question? I use Daz Connect almost exclusively, so this has not been an issue for me.

I have this thread bookmarked, but I didn't get a message that there were new posts, so maybe v3Digitimes didn't either. I stumbled upon it in the Recent Messages list. Hopefully V3Digitimes will see that people are posting here again.

Post edited by barbult on

Hello,

indeed I had not seen there were new messages here. Thanks Barbult for letting me know.

To answer the questions, ONLY the image maps coming from Daz Connect (cloud) products are placed in the content folder you choose. This was obligatory because there was no way to place them in the cloud folder.

If you work with objects coming from a manual or a DIM installation, then the new files are  paced in the original product folder. While developping I hesitated to add a button so that you can specify that in this second case you also send the file to the specified folder but there were technical issues so I forgot the idea.

I have a question. There are a few objects that don't retain optimization once the file is saved, closed and re-opened. I'm wondering if this is because they were originally added to the scene as part of a scene subset. (A character with clothes and hair.)

ETA: LOL, it isn't even applying them before save, according to re-running the script. Hmm. Except the file name itself (and the file) IS shrunk, so it's just that the script is reporting it at way, way reduced, and I've been shrinking my textures down to nothing by running it over and over again. That's no good. I do wonder if it's somehow related to the scene-subset thing though.

This has been tested on seen subsets too. I have never been mentioned such an issue and I am interested to know if you solved it or, if not what is the scene subset you used so that I can debug.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

@V3Digitimes

Thanks for creating this product!  smiley  yes

A few questions.  

1. For Iray - If you have multiple instances of an object, I assume that it will reference the single texture for each map (diffuse, bump, normal, etc)?

2. If I drop down the texture maps of a Genesis 3 or 8 figure, can I save that as a subset, and then import that into future scenes?  It takes a while to run on a big scene, was thinking this could speed up workflow on background characters with different scenes.

For #1 for example, I have FG-Tavern by Fugazi which has many instances of items (mugs, plates, etc).   Of course for one, a mug is right in front of the camera.  I assume that keeping that one at it's native resolution and reducing the size of the others would be counterproductive - even if the maps are reduced by x4 or x8, there would still be two maps per mug (full and reduced) instead of one.