Scene Optimizer [Commercial]

Comments

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049

@V3Digitimes

Thanks for creating this product!  smiley  yes

A few questions.  

1. For Iray - If you have multiple instances of an object, I assume that it will reference the single texture for each map (diffuse, bump, normal, etc)?

2. If I drop down the texture maps of a Genesis 3 or 8 figure, can I save that as a subset, and then import that into future scenes?  It takes a while to run on a big scene, was thinking this could speed up workflow on background characters with different scenes.

For #1 for example, I have FG-Tavern by Fugazi which has many instances of items (mugs, plates, etc).   Of course for one, a mug is right in front of the camera.  I assume that keeping that one at it's native resolution and reducing the size of the others would be counterproductive - even if the maps are reduced by x4 or x8, there would still be two maps per mug (full and reduced) instead of one.

Hi! You are welcome :)

1. For Iray, I presume this is the case. This is the interest of the instance, having the same object at different places, so this should be the case. Just seeing the end of your message. Try to save and reload the scene after reducing the maps. By default instances have no "material" for themselves, they use the one of the "duplicated" object. So when you reload the scene, only the LR maps should be seen, even for the instances. I have not tried to confirm, but it would be the logical behavior of instances. 

2. Yes of course, everything can be saved as a subset with the LR maps / LR mesh, there is no issue at all doing this. I already did it for some key figures I often work with. 

Let me know if you do the test with instances, I'm pretty sure it works because when I developped the Medina cityscape Generator with Ansiko, I think I changed the maps several times on the duplicated objects, and each time all the instances where affected.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,302

I am another one that would prefer to specify where the generated maps go, even for non DAZ Connect installed stuff.

I try to keep my library where the DIM stuff is installed as clean as possible, so I do not want any extra files added to it. That way, if I uninstall a product I know it has not left anything behind. I also use multiple computers, and I do not duplicate the DIM library (since it is by far my biggest library), so it means if I try to open a scene optimised with this script elsewhere, it will not find the reduced texture files, even if I have all the products I need installed in the other location.

Files I create myself, plus derivative files created by scripts like this one, I prefer to have in a separate library (which is cloned to all my other computers).

Since this script can put DAZ connect stuff elsewhere, would it be a huge change to allow stuff installed via DIM (or manually) to also place the reduced textures elsewhere?

Havos said:

I am another one that would prefer to specify where the generated maps go, even for non DAZ Connect installed stuff.

I try to keep my library where the DIM stuff is installed as clean as possible, so I do not want any extra files added to it. That way, if I uninstall a product I know it has not left anything behind. I also use multiple computers, and I do not duplicate the DIM library (since it is by far my biggest library), so it means if I try to open a scene optimised with this script elsewhere, it will not find the reduced texture files, even if I have all the products I need installed in the other location.

Files I create myself, plus derivative files created by scripts like this one, I prefer to have in a separate library (which is cloned to all my other computers).

Since this script can put DAZ connect stuff elsewhere, would it be a huge change to allow stuff installed via DIM (or manually) to also place the reduced textures elsewhere?

OK I understand your reasons. What you would need is to "force" the new files to be generated in a given content library, or to be able to move them (I mean them physically on the hard drive location with the new path specified for Daz). You are the second one to ask for that in a few weeks, so I think I'm gonna consider it. I don't like the idea to have this in the main script which is already pretty complex. For now (but I can change my mind if I see an issue doing this) I'd prefer making an utility which would move the corresponding runtimes (with only the LR maps, not all the maps) to a given content folder people could choose. I think moving is not complex (provided I can delete file afterwards, I never did that), what I have to be sure is that I pick-up the new files only, not the original ones (for instance if a PA originally called a map "map 2048x2048"). The second solution would be to add a script "path configuration for DIM content", which would write in the windows/mac registry your choice of having them either in the default installation folder or in a specified content folder. The change in the main script would be less heavy to make, and the interface would not change for the user. I have to think about this.

Yet for now I am finishing a project, and after that I have to go on with my projects for september (which I hope will be ready on time!), this is why I will not be able to have a look at this before 15th of August, but at this time I will have a look at this, to see if I see a good solution for people like you.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,302
    Havos said:

OK I understand your reasons. What you would need is to "force" the new files to be generated in a given content library, or to be able to move them (I mean them physically on the hard drive location with the new path specified for Daz). You are the second one to ask for that in a few weeks, so I think I'm gonna consider it. I don't like the idea to have this in the main script which is already pretty complex. For now (but I can change my mind if I see an issue doing this) I'd prefer making an utility which would move the corresponding runtimes (with only the LR maps, not all the maps) to a given content folder people could choose. I think moving is not complex (provided I can delete file afterwards, I never did that), what I have to be sure is that I pick-up the new files only, not the original ones (for instance if a PA originally called a map "map 2048x2048"). The second solution would be to add a script "path configuration for DIM content", which would write in the windows/mac registry your choice of having them either in the default installation folder or in a specified content folder. The change in the main script would be less heavy to make, and the interface would not change for the user. I have to think about this.

Yet for now I am finishing a project, and after that I have to go on with my projects for september (which I hope will be ready on time!), this is why I will not be able to have a look at this before 15th of August, but at this time I will have a look at this, to see if I see a good solution for people like you.

Sounds good, thanks for considering this, I fully understand that any new products take precedence.

• xXQuatroXxxXQuatroXx Posts: 173
    edited May 2018

Hi

I have a problem with after reducing to a lower texture setting. First rab and option 2 where victoria hd model turns black I have retried it with out LIE setting unchecked but same result. It has to do with some moisture file thats nkt from victoria 8 hd but from the kalisto model thats some how attached to victoria 8 hd.

Maybe when when i was trying out settings on the model and applying different make up styles from othermodels Here is the issue i get:

https://gyazo.com/315941ef45938316a638139a3f3a1966

https://gyazo.com/9d979a265cdeee590fb87fb9635822c8

https://gyazo.com/48129242fbc9c9bc0f64a65e85a61e66

Something to do with moisture, the file pops up like 4 times all asking for the same file. Anyone has a solution? Thanks

Post edited by xXQuatroXx on
    Havos said:
    Havos said:

Sounds good, thanks for considering this, I fully understand that any new products take precedence.

Thanks!

Hi

I have a problem with after reducing to a lower texture setting. First rab and option 2 where victoria hd model turns black I have retried it with out LIE setting unchecked but same result. It has to do with some moisture file thats nkt from victoria 8 hd but from the kalisto model thats some how attached to victoria 8 hd.

Maybe when when i was trying out settings on the model and applying different make up styles from othermodels Here is the issue i get:

https://gyazo.com/315941ef45938316a638139a3f3a1966

https://gyazo.com/9d979a265cdeee590fb87fb9635822c8

https://gyazo.com/48129242fbc9c9bc0f64a65e85a61e66

Something to do with moisture, the file pops up like 4 times all asking for the same file. Anyone has a solution? Thanks

Hi, sorry to hear about this issue. exr files are not supposed to be reduced. Actually the internal image software of Daz does not handle them correctly. Well actually exr files are not "supposed" to be used on figures, and this is the case in 99.999 % of the figures... Except this one obvisouly. I am very astonished to see that there was an exr file in the textures image maps. Now when I see the fact that they are used for the bump of eye moisture, I could propose to you to remove them completely (should not make a big difference) or to convert the exr to jpg before reapply them to the bump of eye moisture. For the black face, not 100% sure this is linked to this exr or not, this is why I wonder : are you sure that you have updated the Scene Optimizer? I made an update in january which has, so far, always solved this issue (it skips the reduction of the png in Diffuse Overlay slot). What I see on the face is typical of a png used on the Diffuse Overlay of the face and which has been reduced whereas it should not be? Could you check this? That the update is well made? 

Let me know if after doing all that you still have issue ;)

• GazukullGazukull Posts: 96

Hello!  Quick suggestion for an update or in a future version of this product.  Just the preset to make all of the scene objects subD 0 but render subD 2.  Or even 0 / 3.

So in this part of the interface.  0 preview / 2 render or 0 preview 3 render would be awesome sauce.  

Thanks for your time!

Gazukull said:

Hello!  Quick suggestion for an update or in a future version of this product.  Just the preset to make all of the scene objects subD 0 but render subD 2.  Or even 0 / 3.

So in this part of the interface.  0 preview / 2 render or 0 preview 3 render would be awesome sauce.  

Thanks for your time!

Hello!

I understand what you mean because, during the development stages, I had two independent drivers for preview and render resolution. It was problematic both for me and my private beta testers, because in Daz Studio, these two properties are linked, (when you increase/decrease preview, render increases/decreases too). The consequence of it was that you could not change the preview one without automatically changing render one, even in the script, and rapidely, we got lost in what were the final settings for both. When I tried to solve this, it ended with "bad loops" in the script... 

I can have a look if at least I can "remember" the render Subd, and apply 0 for the preview, and "reapply" the render Subd (hoping this will not change the preview once again). A kind of "keep current render Subd and set 0 for preview". If it works fine I can add it to the update. But I cannot work on it before mid August. 

• GazukullGazukull Posts: 96

Thanks much for taking a look!  The hardest part for me is to remember to turn the subD back up :D

XD!

edited September 2018

Hello all!

It took me longer that expected to finish the "Wet and Tanned Skins for Genesis 8", which was a mammoth task (a herd of big mammoths!), this is why I began to work on scene optimizer updates later than announced.

There should be, normally during september if everything goes fine, an update to Scene Optimizer. The obligatory purpose of the update is to adapt the "instances" part of the script to the new way to handle instances preview in Daz Studio 4.11. Thanks to Richard's help and to Rob's inputs, I managed to have this working, and I would like to warmly thank them here for their help on the subject! The other updates are minor big fixing (invisible for the user) and enhancements, the enhancements being based on your remarks on this thread. I cannot promise to include everything asked, but I wil try to add them when possible and see what are the consequences of adding these enhancements to the optimizer (sometimes adding new features can be problematic).

I'll let you know about all this.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

This has probably menitoned somewhere in the 7 pages before, sorry for asking:

I'm trying to find the pfd that accompanies the scene optimizer (I finally got myself treated with this).

The read me first user note in the DS popup is a bit hard on the eyes with 8pt lettering white on grey, so I hope the infromation is in the PDF as well

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Did you look in: MY daz 3D Library/Readme's/41479 scene-optimizer-user-guide? 

Or just look here: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/41479/41479_scene-optimizer-user-guide.pdf

Thank you @dragonfly_2004 I looked at the readme files but I didn't expect there to be a number in front of the main name. With that I found it now!

yes

edited December 2018
    Linwelly said:

This has probably menitoned somewhere in the 7 pages before, sorry for asking:

I'm trying to find the pfd that accompanies the scene optimizer (I finally got myself treated with this).

The read me first user note in the DS popup is a bit hard on the eyes with 8pt lettering white on grey, so I hope the infromation is in the PDF as well

Hello, I'm sorry yes the information is in the pdf, and you will find the in the pdf much more than in this text (which is made for people who hate reading bigger documentations). If the text of the pop up of  first "ReadMe" is too small, you can select all and copy and paste it in a text editor to be able to see it bigger. It is only a brief a summary of what you will find in the whole documentation, which is much more complete. Sorry about that, next products I'll have a look if I can change the size font in the comment box (not sure I don't remember I ever did this).

Thanks a lot dragonfly_2004 for answering for me!

Edit : additional news about Scene Optimzer . The updates planned for this product have been implemented, especially the one allowing to have the reduced images placed in the same folder as the one chosen for Daz Connect products if you want (and not only in their original folder as it was the case). I wanted to go on with testing this during the holyday for an update submission early next year.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on

Thanks a lot for this V3D, another solution for me would be to finally get some glasses to read the small stuff LOL I'm getting old

Lol! Now that you mentioned it, I must recognise that the font is pretty small. Today I tried to change the size of the font of a TextEdit (the box I use to include my help texts), without success. Finally I decided then to use the ability of this type of widget to accept html text. And this is really cool. This, plus the possibility to zoom in and out on the text (which I had not remarked before), and the possiblity to have colors and other html presentation elements (lists) will allow me to have much more clear "mini in-script documentations" included in my next products (I already added these features to the project that I am developping). So let's say that without your old eyes (lol), I would never have improved my projects in this directions :). This way, you helped me. As I aready said, any remarks, feedback, questions are welcome, if they are justified and if I know how to solve things, I try to work on it :)

Just for the fun, I join the test script I made today here, so that you can test your eyes (you can change the size of the text with the zoom in and out buttons at the bottom, and you can click plenty of times if you need).  XD

dse
    dse
    test font sizeC.dse
    896B

Ha! very cool! I tested it and worked fine and that zoom option is really neat.  ...That means I can wait buying glasses a bit longer ;) and I really should start learning html after all

I finally released the march 2019 upate, which is ready for a while, but I wanted to test it a lot...

• Instance visibility utilities are now compatible with Daz Studio 4.11 and above versions too.
    • The function linked to checking the “Overwrite previous existing low-resolution maps when they already exist” checkbox has been updated so that, if a png image file has already been reduced, it is now not automatically loaded when you reduce the image maps size. This was previously the case (it was reloaded even if you asked the png files with transparency not to be processed), and this was a bug, which showed in very rare occasions, with eyebrows as diffuse overlay mainly and when a scene optimizer had already been executed at least once with the “Also reduce LIE maps / Also replace on surfaces png files with alpha transparency” option checked.
    • A new checkbox is available : “Also use this folder for Maps of other installation methods (DIM, Manual)"
      • It is by default initially unchecked. If you check this box, then once you click on “Set Lower Resolution Maps For Elements Selected In The List” it will remain checked for the next sessions of the script. If you uncheck this box, then once you click on “Set Lower Resolution Maps For Elements Selected In The List” it will remain unchecked for the next sessions of Scene Optimizer. Checking this button allows you to use the Content folder defined in the “Where will you save the low-Resolution Maps OF DAZ CONNECT PRODUCS?” also for files coming from a manual or DIM installation. This corresponds to users’ requests who wanted to clean more easily their computers, and this makes it easier since now everything can be gathered in a single content folder.
      • If this is unchecked, the reduced image maps of DIM or manually installed files will be placed as previously in their original product runtime folder.
    • Now there is a version number (v 1.1) so that it easier to identify the version people are working with in case of questions.

• Jack238Jack238 Posts: 117

Thank you for the update. 

Thanks! Will download as soon as Daz makes available for DIM.

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480

Thanks for the update.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Has the update gone live?  I do not see: A new checkbox is available : “Also use this folder for Maps of other installation methods (DIM, Manual)"  nor a version number anywhere.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited March 2019

It's interesting Scene Optimizer does not show up in my Dimm . but it does in my account library , Does the update apply to manual downloads? there is no date indicating so

Capture1.JPG
    840 x 669 - 28K
    Capture2.JPG
    1618 x 821 - 220K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • RainbowArtistRainbowArtist Posts: 101
    edited March 2019

Also Scene Optimizer does not show up in my Dimm . Don't know why not.

However, it is available via manual download and is the updated version 1.1.

SceneOptimizer-update-v1.1.PNG
    674 x 296 - 36K
    Post edited by RainbowArtist on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Thanks for the information Rainbow.

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

Is the optimizer intended for still images or animations or both?

Mouser said:

Is the optimizer intended for still images or animations or both?

It can be used for both.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Thanks for this; not use really as didn't like maps in the same folders and product. Very useful though, expecially now.