The reason why I rarely render female warriors

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

Well if you are talking comic books the men & women are drawn as human beings, sexual creatures that they are so how are you going to avoid that realistically? However, as a child reading those their character was good, bad, funny, or grouchy and so on, and sexuality didn't occur to me about the way they were dressed. Sexuality occured reading those comics when the character in the comic expressed sexuality so then I don't remember a time they did express their sexuality (I stopped reading them in '77 for the most part). It was restricted to boyfriend / girlfriend or husband / wife public social dynamic that a child doesn't really consider sexual but polite.

So why are the comic book heroes, male and female, in revealing leotards and bright colors? Probably much more practical storytelling reasons: differentiate them from normal folk and non-heroes (you'll see criminals in normal clothing much more often than the heroes) and the speed and ease of inking a very simple nude to appear to be dressed in leotards - no clothing folds and wrinkles, no complex fabric patterns like flowers, paisley, or whatnot so I think this bit about insinuating that these human form revealing costumes and armour is done to sell this art and these stories is overstated. They are heroes and reading comics the reader expects heroism not sex just like a doctor expects nudity in a completely 'not lusting for sex' context.

In the 3D art realm I think if you consider why armor is so popular it is in large part because flesh and metals are the two things that DAZ is best at 1) we known the painstaking work the artists do to get realistic skin but 2) portraying metals after that is almost like an easy realistic freebie, especially in iRay and you still have to consider that as in comic book days the heroes and to a lesser extent the villians need to be made unique and memorable. Only thing that I don't like is the modern addition of blood and gore to the old comic styles as it's sort of a dim equalizer spattered all over the page and detracts from the dialogue and plot which used to be quite over-the-top and comic. Well that and the price. Comic books are DAZ expensive nowadays, even more if you stick the the Platinum Club+. 

...I hear you on this.  I used to work with hand drawn, inked, and coloured comic illustration, and those colourful skin tight suits were a major time saver production wise.  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941

..it is not just fantasy/historic armour either.  I find a a fair amount of post apocalyptic and futuristic armour to be very impractical as well as often, the largest target, the lower abdomen, is left unprotected.. One of the worst wounds is a gut shot which is often fatal. 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

There's a time and place for everything. The truth is, realism and reality is usually quite boring and when telling a story the last thing you want to be is boring. How fun would sci fi movies be with space battles without sound or explosions? For in reality, neither is possible in space. In movies in general, it's more important that things (and people) looks good than they being accurate. Ever wondered why there's always a good looking actor/actress playing the lead in movies based on real events/persons? Or my personal pet peeve, someone being trapped in the same place for a week without ever having to use a toilet. Although movies may not have armours as skimpy as the most extreme ones in the DAZ store, the list over unrealistic features in an avarage movie is long.

But I digress. What I wanted to say about skimpy female armours in fiction is that even if you personally dislike it, they can still have their place. For example, why would an immortal goddess need to cover herself up in protective gear? Appearance and appeal would most likely be more important than protection from weapons that couldn't do any significant damage to her anyway.

I'll end as I started. There's a time and place for everything. Even skimpy armour.

• JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661

The Fantasy genre is what got me into Poser and DS. Frazetta and Vallejo had major influences in my renders.  I suppose practicality isn't the priority in this type of doodles. I'd say render what you feel and what makes you happy.

This one is kitbashed with elements of Genesis 3, V3 and V4, Some of the new, some old. For some of you 'oldtimers' you may recognize them.

• NathNath Posts: 2,771
    kyoto kid said:

..it is not just fantasy/historic armour either.  I find a a fair amount of post apocalyptic and futuristic armour to be very impractical as well as often, the largest target, the lower abdomen, is left unprotected.. One of the worst wounds is a gut shot which is often fatal. 

Oh, yes; I love the 'stab/shoot here' cutouts in armour laugh

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

This one hasn't been mentioned yet, and it's a fully covering, actually protective suit that still has a feminine look...

https://www.daz3d.com/elven-armor-for-genesis-2-female-s

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    Valandar said:

This one hasn't been mentioned yet, and it's a fully covering, actually protective suit that still has a feminine look...

https://www.daz3d.com/elven-armor-for-genesis-2-female-s

Indeed.  That's one of my go-tos (along with Mercenary maid Lady of War) for women's breastplates.  I don't always use the leg plates, but that's usually because the character wouldn't wear them (in which case I either use the Mercenary maid slacks and boots, or cross-fit the Wolf King boots and slacks.)

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I just saw this in the Daz Gallery and wanted to post a link.

PROOF that bikini armor actually works!

Bikini Armor

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    dracorn said:

Bikini Armor

Yep, that's mine.  It's inspired by this very thread, and some conversations over the years with various gamers about how practical chainmail bikinis actually are...

The gals I render generally wear a LOT more protection than that, but I was in a silly mood...

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

The one that gets me is  "Winter Warrior"  for G3F .. Given what I call winter, thats hypothermia/severe frostbite damage in no time flat..

• FabeFabe Posts: 222

The future cop out fit is one the really bothers me. with out the exposed mid drift and sleeveless arms this could be a really good unisex out fit.

https://www.daz3d.com/future-cop-for-genesis

• FabeFabe Posts: 222
    edited May 2017
    isidorn said:

There's a time and place for everything. The truth is, realism and reality is usually quite boring and when telling a story the last thing you want to be is boring. How fun would sci fi movies be with space battles without sound or explosions? For in reality, neither is possible in space. In movies in general, it's more important that things (and people) looks good than they being accurate. Ever wondered why there's always a good looking actor/actress playing the lead in movies based on real events/persons? Or my personal pet peeve, someone being trapped in the same place for a week without ever having to use a toilet. Although movies may not have armours as skimpy as the most extreme ones in the DAZ store, the list over unrealistic features in an avarage movie is long.

But I digress. What I wanted to say about skimpy female armours in fiction is that even if you personally dislike it, they can still have their place. For example, why would an immortal goddess need to cover herself up in protective gear? Appearance and appeal would most likely be more important than protection from weapons that couldn't do any significant damage to her anyway.

I'll end as I started. There's a time and place for everything. Even skimpy armour.

It seems to be to diffrent standers when it comes to making men and women look good in fiction. Men can look good while still wearing out fits that at least look practical even if in reality they're not while women seem to need  be made as sexy as possible and practicality be damned. 

Yeah there is time and a place even for sexy warrior women. It would just be nice to actually have the choice ,which is the compliant most of us seem to have. It seem the  majority of female outfits here whether it sci-fi fantasy or just real world is all sexy. Yeah sure stuff like the image JVRenderer are nice to look at( I like it) but it would be nice to  render a woman warrior who is more then just eye candy and is wearing some thing  that looks like it could actually give her some protection. 

Post edited by Fabe on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    dracorn said:

Bikini Armor

Not to take anything away from that render. This is an old classic from out in the interwebs and I believe it's been posted here on the forums before in similar discussions. Not only are bikini armour very effective. Full plate armours are also ridiculously useless cheeky

I seem to remember the old Dragon Magazine or some such having a cartoon as well back in the day... I felt the need to do a Daz version of the concept just because!

This might be it:

My render also pays a small homage to Bruce Lee, as Aiko's got 'tude!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Nath said:
    kyoto kid said:

Haha. :)

I saw this image and liked it, they saw the sword and knife.

A girl wearing that is definitely going to have to know how to use em in such a 'world'.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 803

I always figured the lovely ladies were the leaders and had Herioc +5 MAGIC armor with way more protection than the physical coverage!

• GatorGator Posts: 1,293
    fastbike1 said:

@Angel - Wings     " I guess I'm just more of a realist. Which means that very few armors make it in my basket... Even the full armor sets... "

And you wonder why you can't find product? You don't buy the full armor sets that are out there, so they don't sell, so PA's give up on them.

If you really were a realist, you would rarely render womon in battle anyway. To the best of our knowledge, women warriors were a rarity. Maybe you should make your own armor.

This.  If you want to be real, I don't think you'd really have warrior women in full armor to start with.  They were far more sexist about gender roles then than now.

You could just fit male armor to a woman, since realistic armor wouldn't have any boob cups or anything, as also mentioned in the thread plate armor is designed to deflect away from the chest. 

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    fastbike1 said:

@Angel - Wings     " I guess I'm just more of a realist. Which means that very few armors make it in my basket... Even the full armor sets... "

And you wonder why you can't find product? You don't buy the full armor sets that are out there, so they don't sell, so PA's give up on them.

If you really were a realist, you would rarely render womon in battle anyway. To the best of our knowledge, women warriors were a rarity. Maybe you should make your own armor.

This.  If you want to be real, I don't think you'd really have warrior women in full armor to start with.  They were far more sexist about gender roles then than now.

You could just fit male armor to a woman, since realistic armor wouldn't have any boob cups or anything, as also mentioned in the thread plate armor is designed to deflect away from the chest. 

Just one clarification... nearly a third of the skeletons found on some ancient Celtic battlefields, and a nearly similar proportion on some Medieval Japanese battlefields, were female.

edited May 2017

Also, keep in mind that pretty much everything was handmade back then.  Sure, there may be starting molds that the blacksmiths used for metal armor pieces, but after that there was a lot of hand work involved to get to the final product.  Rolls of sheet steel wasn't a thing back then....

So if they needed to provide a little extra room up there for the bosoms, well that's what the hammer and anvil are for, at least for metal breastplates...

And yeah, armor was pretty unisex back in the day.  Of course, keep in mind that many of the artists here on Daz these days are doing fantasy oriented renders, not historical ones, and in many fantasy settings women warriors are more common.

Many of our historical cultures also have mythologies and historical accounts of women warriors.  This Wiki entry details a few of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_ancient_warfare

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • GatorGator Posts: 1,293
    Valandar said:
    fastbike1 said:

Just one clarification... nearly a third of the skeletons found on some ancient Celtic battlefields, and a nearly similar proportion on some Medieval Japanese battlefields, were female.

In armor?  With text of actual accounts of them in armor?

When your village is gonna get wiped out, yeah, I'd guess some women would grab a weapon and try to defend themselves along with the dudes.  But actual armies that travelled about?  Not trying to be sexist, but from what I read there isn't concensus among experts of women in armies.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,933

Whats the point of armor if it reviels as much skin as humanly possible? I wanna know what warrior shows up on the battle field in what appears to be a chastity belt, a metal bra, and a spear.

Um... a large number of the Celts and Gauls often fought naked, as did some of the Greeks, and pretty much any warrior from Africa, Polynesia or Meso America prior to the start of the 20th century would have been wearing less... and both the ZUlus and Maori repeatedly kicked the British's rears even though the latter had guns.  More recently there were the Viet Cong sapper infiltrators (clothes were more likely to snag on barbed wire than bare skin), Suni donga warriors in Sudan and Ethipoia, and an entire battalion in Libiya under the command of  General Butt Naked" Joshua Blahyi .  .  And, needless to say, the original Olymics were conducted in the nude, as were some of the Roman gladitorial games.  In the end, climate and availability of resources (especially things like pack animals capable of carrying a lot of armor) plays as much a role in armor as tactics and technology, and sometimes it's simply used for psychological advantage.  .        

• Vaskania said:

Yea I agree with you there. Personally, the "warrior" style I enjoy most is similar to that of the Grounders from the tv show The 100- very apocalyptic and primal. I'm all about that layered rough look. lol

Dont get me wrong, I dont want artists to END their art style... But... Mixing it up a bit would be nice. I would love to see an outfit like this for G3.

Practical, intimidating, but still feminine. Without looking like she just crawled out of a 12th century strip club.

I agree.  We need more imaginative armor.  A lot of what I'm seeing these days doesn't have much to it beyond your stereotypical armors or oversexualized outfits.  They rarely have an actual "art style" to them.

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 750
    Scavenger said:

Because since day one, warrior outfits are not practical. The way they are desined, sex appeal take priority over practical use. Whats the point of armor if it reviels as much skin as humanly possible? I wanna know what warrior shows up on the battle field in what appears to be a chastity belt, a metal bra, and a spear.

Spartans went into battle wearing sandles, sword, shield, and brand new hair styles.

Spartans also wore armor, the bare chested warrior thing was a ridiculous fabrication  that was used in the movie. Spartans wore at the very least a breastplate that covered the chest and abdomen that was up to an inch thick and made of bronze. (from something I read on Spartans  yesterday actually Not sure about the inch thick part, because that would be some thick ass armor when they only really needed about a quarter inch to stop any weapon of the day that I am aware of.) There may have been nude warriors back  in far antiquity, but the Spartans were not them. They also carried a spear to go with their shields.

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 750
    Nath said:
    kyoto kid said:

Yeah those are what makes me NOT buy armor sets.

I think the idea of heavily stylized armor is the best suggestion. Truly interesting armor from and ART point of view where the armor can take a big part of the focus I would find great. Then I can put in emotion poses for even more of an editorial look.

edited June 2017
    Malandar said:
    Scavenger said:

Because since day one, warrior outfits are not practical. The way they are desined, sex appeal take priority over practical use. Whats the point of armor if it reviels as much skin as humanly possible? I wanna know what warrior shows up on the battle field in what appears to be a chastity belt, a metal bra, and a spear.

Spartans went into battle wearing sandles, sword, shield, and brand new hair styles.

Spartans also wore armor, the bare chested warrior thing was a ridiculous fabrication  that was used in the movie. Spartans wore at the very least a breastplate that covered the chest and abdomen that was up to an inch thick and made of bronze. (from something I read on Spartans  yesterday actually Not sure about the inch thick part, because that would be some thick ass armor when they only really needed about a quarter inch to stop any weapon of the day that I am aware of.) There may have been nude warriors back  in far antiquity, but the Spartans were not them. They also carried a spear to go with their shields.

While 300 was an interesting over the top movie, I kinda like the older 1962 version of the story more, that being The 300 Spartans.

I don't dislike the Frank Miller inspired movie adaptation, and indeed Frank Miller says that the 1962 movie changed the course of his creative life.  The sequel to 300 was fun to watch as well but again a bit over the top.  I guess I should be happy that I can appreciate both takes on the story.  The History Channel documentary about the Spartans is in my video collection as well, as well as the 2003 British TV movie Boudica, but that's a completely different story (although it does relate to this thread).

The Spartans in the 1962 movie wore armor, perhaps in part 'cuz Frazetta hadn't taken hold of our movie connscience yet and big budget movies were more conservative back then.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited June 2017

Why is it sad that sex sells?

Practical armor is pretty darn boring, even for guys. Hauberks, pot helms, a couple hard plates, done.

A lot of fantasy armor is really impractical. That female image above with the oversized-for-American-football shoulder pads, giant-arse gauntlets with heavy metal flanges (that would catch on things something fierce)? Ridiculous. Yeah, I get that some want the equivalent of Full Metal Burqas, but that is not what everyone should have.

(ALSO... think of how that would all deform as Conforming clothing. It would be horrible.)

Sure, I like the concept of a Jeanne d'Arc, but keep it in the real. Chevaleresse was a super kit like that. Gentle Paladin (including a Jeanne texture pack), Saint Armor, Elven Knight, Knight Armor for G3F. And this is just looking at metal armors at the moment. How many styles of full plate do you need?

I do not want weird football player armor with exaggerated flanges that have no practical use except to compensate with flanges for the lack of skin. This is NOT creativity, in my opinion. This is the substitute of one impracticality for another, and it's quite frankly I do not want or need that.

It's NOT like these things do NOT exist. They do exist, and people do buy them... but people also like skin. Many prefer skin. What is so wrong with that?

The hypothesis that there are no options for covered female warriors? I think it's very misleading.

Have you seen men's fashion in the real world? Borrrring. Men don't get so much stuff in Daz either, but that's also because men's outfits ARE boring.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109
    dracorn said:
    avxp said:

Careful with Red Sonja. Conan (I LOVE Me some Conan - oh man, the Savage Sword B&W reprints are such a huge inspiration) ran around in, basically, a loin cloth.

No shirt either...even though I know he's supposed to be from the 'north' they depected him in wintery climates with no shirt on. 

But it's not just armor. Superhero suits are the worst.

Chain maile bikinis!

I've been to ren faires and comicons that have actual chain maille bikinis.  They are not nearly as uncomfortable as they look if they are well made.  the trick is smaller rings and the rings all have to be closed just about perfectly.

Back in a previous millenium, when I had time to go to Cons (before the term Cosplay was even invented), there used to be any number of vendors who made everything from chain mail veils to long dresses, in steel, copper, and aluminum.   I recall  a member of one of the New Orleans SciFi clubs was wandering around a major con in Texas, wearing a long chain mail tunic, a chain mail headpiece, and a thong (and that is all).  Suddenly, one of her nipples became caught in one of the steel rings somehow, resulting in serious discomfort.   Male onlookers literally fell over each other trying to rush to her aid.  There were no permanent injuries.  The temporary solution was the use of "pasties" (which actually were available in the dealer's room).  This incident stressed the importance of small, well-formed rings in the mail, or wearing padding under the mail.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

Avxp: Personally, I think those loud nerds can go stuff it.

Phasma looked awesome and I'm absolutely sick of robofetishgeishamon in 99% of female depictions.

Also, sportsbras and binders and other things work for many women who need to not be flopping all about as they try not to get shivved.

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Fight-like-a-girl-2-656659945

Thank you Will Timmins for robofetishgeishamon - best laugh I have had in a long time!   Takes me back to the days I used to watch Digimon with my sons.  Geishamon digi-volves toooooo.....Robofetishgeishamon!

I agree with many folks above.   As much as I like renders of warriors wearing "armor" from Fredericks of Hyperborea, I need simple, practical armor for some graphic novel projects.  I am glad to see there are finally some examples that I can actually use for this.   Would love to see some metal scale armor for both male and female characters.

Thanks also to everyone for the many humorous bits!

Honestly I would love to see most of the standard armor from Pathfinder/DnD represented as I do a lot of requests for my local players for depictions of their RPG characters. Leather, studded leather, ring, scale(as above) chain and a lot more before we get to full plate would all be an auto purchase. And in both male and female!