!!! The most detailed Circus model

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

the Moscow Circus is in town here and I see at least 6 creepy inflatable huge clowns in front yards on my way to work.

Maybe some of those too enlightened

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688

@th3Digit - Maybe... I'll think about it ;-)

The American Circus also has his own electric plant truck...

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited July 2018

That is quite a project you have going with all that detail in the scene. You must have quite the computer ;-)

The night scene shots are great, but so is everything!

Great stuff!

Post edited by Rakuda on
    Rakuda said:

That is quite a project you have going with all that detail in the scene. You must have quite the computer ;-)

Great stuff! Would love to see some real dramatic lighting on some of these.

Thank you @Rakuda

I am waiting for the right Idea to come up! :-) But meantimes I keep building and sooner or later I will come up with something spectacular. One thing bothers me with Iray... That surfaces like mirrors and sequins, don't reflect light! That would be awesome! :-)

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    edited July 2018
    Ralf1958 said:

High wire act...

I have been watching your thread, waiting to see the tight rope. smiley  Are trapeze in the works?

Post edited by gitika1 on

@gitika1 - Believe it or not, I was thinking about it right last week when I went over some old pictures. Yes, I am definitely going to create one. :-) Stay tuned!

Btw, the render of the high wire, is a reproduction of my parents act from back in the 1950's. :-)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    Ralf1958 said:
    Rakuda said:

Great stuff! Would love to see some real dramatic lighting on some of these.

Thank you @Rakuda

I am waiting for the right Idea to come up! :-) But meantimes I keep building and sooner or later I will come up with something spectacular. One thing bothers me with Iray... That surfaces like mirrors and sequins, don't reflect light! That would be awesome! :-)

Those surfaces should reflect light; Iray has no problem with that. If you're rendering in Studio, you need to add mirror/sequin shaders to the appropriate surfaces. 

There's a free mirror shader at http://www.sharecg.com/v/81125/favorite/21/DAZ-Studio/Iray-Mirror-Shader - usage rights are both commercial and personal, so if you want to offer this project for sale if/when you move it out of Sketchup, you would be able to use that shader for your surfaces setting.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    Ralf1958 said:

@gitika1 - Believe it or not, I was thinking about it right last week when I went over some old pictures. Yes, I am definitely going to create one. :-) Stay tuned!

Btw, the render of the high wire, is a reproduction of my parents act from back in the 1950's. :-)

Are those the Flying Wallendas?

vwrangler said:
    Ralf1958 said:

Are those the Flying Wallendas?

No. The Wallendas never were able to perform the 6-Person Pyramid. My father created this one, it was his own special and secret trick. The Wallendas were always performing the 7-Pyramid. Actually the 6-Pyramid never got copied! :-)

edited July 2018
    vwrangler said:
    Ralf1958 said:
    Rakuda said:

Those surfaces should reflect light; Iray has no problem with that. If you're rendering in Studio, you need to add mirror/sequin shaders to the appropriate surfaces. 

There's a free mirror shader at http://www.sharecg.com/v/81125/favorite/21/DAZ-Studio/Iray-Mirror-Shader - usage rights are both commercial and personal, so if you want to offer this project for sale if/when you move it out of Sketchup, you would be able to use that shader for your surfaces setting.

The problem with Iray is that it reflects surfaces that are emitting light, but it does nor reflect light coming from a Spot light. The mirror shader reflects only the environment, so when it is totally dark and you only use a spot light, there is nothing to reflect and the effect is gone. The only way I found are metallic Flakes. But they cannot really be adapted the way a need them, since they are randomly applyed.

Post edited by Ralf1958 on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Just read through your thread all I can say is WoW!!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    Ralf1958 said:

A few more. I stopped the render earlier then supposed, it takes at least 24 hours to complete one. But I think for a preview these came out nice. :-)

These are really looking great with the crowds into it now.

I know I would sure buy this if it was in the Daz Store!!!

carrie58 said:

Just read through your thread all I can say is WoW!!

Thank you @carrie58

edited July 2018
    Ralf1958 said:

I am glad you like the results @saphirewild 

I am not sure if these items will ever be available for sale. Not that I wouldn't like to share them but in the first place, there are "I don't know how many" different items in the project, probably thousands! And, since I didn't knew this project was getting this massive, I didn't really cared about organizing all the files, so they are all spread around my computer. Ok, with a bit of effort I could get them al reorganized... very time consuming...

The second point is, that DAZ is very picky about their products. A while ago I wanted to sell a travel trailer in the store. I spent months to build it. Well... after it was completed, they came back to me, telling me they did not like the look of some shaders, they didn't like the look of the courtains and of the matrasses... bla bla bla. That's the point where I gave up! :-)

I don't even want to think about how many complaints they would have to this project. I actually understand that they want a certain quality standard but, compared to some products I bought in their store, my travel trailer was "light years" better! But... that was their decision... :-)

Maybe one day the whole set it will be available at rendo... :-) Who knows...

edited July 2018

This is the trailer I built a few years ago... it's the one from the movie "the long, long trailer" with Lucille Ball... sadly I couldn't get it in the store :-(

I for one would have loved to have that long long trailer for sure but I am only one of many I guess!!

I do look forward to you selling it maybe at Rendo!!!!

I for one would have loved to have that long long trailer for sure but I am only one of many I guess!!

I do look forward to you selling it maybe at Rendo!!!!

I love to create things, and they always do good for my purposes, since I know how I want them to look. But honestly, since I am creating everything in Sketchup, I have no idea about UV-mapping and texturing. Most of the times I use materials and shaders from other people. I am working on finding and learning a way to create proper textures. The day I will be good at it, I will retexturize everything and try to put it onto a store. Actually the trailer itself is not using any special texture but if anyone would like to put a specific design on it, it would be a challenge because the UV's are a total mess! :-)

Here is a problem which I am not really able to solve. In the first image, as you can see, the shadows are like in real life on a stage, sharp and crisp but the sparkles of the sequins on the costume are not popping out at all. I used a spotlight with "point light".

In the second image I was able to have the sparkles pop out but the shadows are totally washed out. Here I used a spot light set on "disc" with a diameter of 200.

In the third image I cheated and used two spotlights coming from exactly the same place. One setted as "point" and the second one as "disc". This is kind of the effect I was trying to get, sharp shadows AND sparkling sequins.

The sequins only reflect light when it's coming from a mesh light. Any way to get the effect I am looking for, just using a spotlight with "point light"? Any ideas on how to get those sequins to pop out dramatically???

Ralf1958 said:
    Ralf1958 said:

I am glad you like the results @saphirewild 

I am not sure if these items will ever be available for sale. Not that I wouldn't like to share them but in the first place, there are "I don't know how many" different items in the project, probably thousands! And, since I didn't knew this project was getting this massive, I didn't really cared about organizing all the files, so they are all spread around my computer. Ok, with a bit of effort I could get them al reorganized... very time consuming...

The second point is, that DAZ is very picky about their products. A while ago I wanted to sell a travel trailer in the store. I spent months to build it. Well... after it was completed, they came back to me, telling me they did not like the look of some shaders, they didn't like the look of the courtains and of the matrasses... bla bla bla. That's the point where I gave up! :-)

I don't even want to think about how many complaints they would have to this project. I actually understand that they want a certain quality standard but, compared to some products I bought in their store, my travel trailer was "light years" better! But... that was their decision... :-)

Maybe one day the whole set it will be available at rendo... :-) Who knows...

Ack!  Oh No!  I have this thread bookmarked, particularly watching for it's release!!  Circus themes work so well with primary students and this would knock the socks off of anything I have created with 2d graphics. You don't have to wait for the "BIG" picture; I could/would start playing with small sets if you released them.  The center ring is most engaging; you could consider making the audience/crowd a single graphic that surrounds the ring as part of the initial set.  (Sorry,I consider myself still very new and can't think of the correct lingo - I have seen it with images of forests that encircle a setting in kits I have purchased.)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Ralf1958 said:
    vwrangler said:
    Ralf1958 said:
    Rakuda said:

The problem with Iray is that it reflects surfaces that are emitting light, but it does nor reflect light coming from a Spot light. The mirror shader reflects only the environment, so when it is totally dark and you only use a spot light, there is nothing to reflect and the effect is gone. The only way I found are metallic Flakes. But they cannot really be adapted the way a need them, since they are randomly applyed.

Most impressive work!!! I'm a 3DL user so no IRay expert, but the caustic sampler (in the render settings tab) should make it possible to have light bounce from reflective surfaces. Good luck with your project, I'm really impressed that you actually made a 3d audiencesurpriselaugh

gitika1 said:
    Ralf1958 said:
    Ralf1958 said:

Ack!  Oh No!  I have this thread bookmarked, particularly watching for it's release!!  Circus themes work so well with primary students and this would knock the socks off of anything I have created with 2d graphics. You don't have to wait for the "BIG" picture; I could/would start playing with small sets if you released them.  The center ring is most engaging; you could consider making the audience/crowd a single graphic that surrounds the ring as part of the initial set.  (Sorry,I consider myself still very new and can't think of the correct lingo - I have seen it with images of forests that encircle a setting in kits I have purchased.) 

@gitika1 - I know, I know... like I already mentioned, this whole project was never intended to be sold anywhere. This idea came up later, as people started to ask for it. And, as I said, there are tons of different pieces in the set. Many of them, like the costumes of the performers, are made with items I bought and modified, so I couldn't sell them even if I wanted to. Many pieces can only be used if you own the original products. Like the parade wagons, they need DAZ Horse 2. For other things it needs the Indian Elephant. For the crowd, LoRez people are needed... 

I thought about making the crowd like a single graphic, but no matter how, the result will always look really fake since the perspective is never correct. You can do this with trees in a forest but it doesn't work with people.

But, do not give up your hope! Maybe one day I will find a solution on how to put online some stuff. Which one would you like to see first?

Ralf1958 said:
    vwrangler said:
    Ralf1958 said:
    Rakuda said:

Most impressive work!!! I'm a 3DL user so no IRay expert, but the caustic sampler (in the render settings tab) should make it possible to have light bounce from reflective surfaces. Good luck with your project, I'm really impressed that you actually made a 3d audiencesurpriselaugh

@Sven Dullah - Caustic sampler, yes, I know where to find it. What does it do? Never used it before.

The set up you provide in the attached image you posted, with a pair of trapeze.  smiley  From there anyone can go nuts with animals/characters/use wardrobe they currently own with other shaders.   

As for the crowd, perhaps still the graphic idea (being placed in as a background) with a half dozen perspectives.  i.e. If attention is on the tight rope - a backdrop crowd that fits that perspective.  Just mental musings, I am still a DS infant. 

dc645be824c0be08a15f3e5f5f0439.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Ralf1958 said:
    vwrangler said:
    Ralf1958 said:
    Rakuda said:

Yikes! I tryed the caustic sampler... my computer gave up un that one! I need a bigger harddrive! It run out of space! I still have about 30 GB but it wasn't enough...

edited July 2018

First attempt for a trapeze render. I know some of you were waiting for it. This render wasn't completed.

For now I modelled a "Washington Trapeze", next project will be a "Flying Trapeze", for those of you who know the difference. ;-)

For the spotlights I am using the "epic godrays & volumetric light" product.

Your work on just the tents and stuff is nothing short of amazing to say the very lest @Ralf1958

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

for the sequins in Octane I would use the glare filter and some bloom, iray should have some equivalent, I am just not familiar with it and it takes forever so I tend to not use or explore anything that adds to it either, certainly caustics sound as if they would work.

Your work on just the tents and stuff is nothing short of amazing to say the very lest @Ralf1958

Thanks Saphirewild, you make me turn red :-)

th3Digit said:

for the sequins in Octane I would use the glare filter and some bloom, iray should have some equivalent, I am just not familiar with it and it takes forever so I tend to not use or explore anything that adds to it either, certainly caustics sound as if they would work.

To bad my computer gave up on caustics. But I will give a try with a less complex scene :-)

Good morning guys! :-)

Yesterday i decided to try out a render with the caustics filter on the same scene above. It's not finished yet, since it's taking a very long time, I guess about 24 hours... but... WOW! For what I can see for now, there is a drastical change in how the lighting is turning out! I had to increase the strenght of the spot lights about 5 times in order to see the circles of the spot lights pop out on the tent. Somehow the caustics filter handles the way the light reflects, a lot different. As you can see in the last render above, the character turned out flat and dull, now, with the caustics on, it looks totally different, way more realistic.

My last try of a render with both filters (caustics and architechtural) turned on, ended up with a "no more space on hard drive" screen. So I ordered a bigger hard drive!!! As soon as I get it, I will go for a new try. I know it will take even longer than the actual, but I am very curious about seeing the differences on the result.

So, for now, I am just waiting for the actual render to finish and then I will show you guys the incredible difference to the previous one. :-)