!!! The most detailed Circus model

Comments

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited July 2018

Here we go! This is the render above, after 18 hours with the caustics filter enabled. What a difference! But I think I can even do better...

Post edited by Ralf1958 on

Another try, without the godrays, renders faster...

With just caustics on, the render turns out more grainy, but I really like the way the light looks. With both filters on, the whole scene gets a bit more light but kind of takes away the effect of the golden costume. Hmmm...

Which one looks better???

edited July 2018

Finally got what I wanted! It was there, just in front of my eyes! With both caustics AND architectural samplers turned on, I just had to increase "crush blacks" to 0.5 and it gave me this result. Now I will turn the godrays back on and see what happens next.

Ok! I am happy with this render, now I know how to get the light I wanted. This is my last render of this scene, with Godrays. The godrays are taking away a bit of the golden shininess from the costume, but I can live with that. Stopped the render after 4 hours, but if I would have waited longer, even the last bit of graininess would have been gone. Since my new harddrive finally arrived, tonight I will start a new render of the parade, adding the Godrays and enabling caustic and architectural samplers. Hope my computer will survive this attempt! Wish me good luck! :-)

Well... no luck! I started the Iray preview last night, before going asleep. This morning nothing was happened. Computer was almost frozen. That parade scene is definitely to HUGE for all those filters. This afternoon I will start a new try with only caustics. Maybe that will work. Bummer!!! :-(

To bad! The Iray preview in the viewport was awesome! Then I started the render... and here my PC crashed badly! :-( Probably I have to downsize the render. Next try over night...

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Following your progress with great interestsmiley! As I mentioned I only render in 3Delight, so can't really advice on IRay, just thinking it seems like IRay has a harder time coping with massive scenes, like yours, than 3DL. I kinda wonder what it would look like if you made an indoor HDRI with IRay and used IBL-master by Parris to render the final image in 3DL...just thinking out loud herewink...

All kinds of atmospheric effects are slow, no matter what render engine you use, so maybe some postwork would work better for this particular project?

As a side note, I'm trying to imagine making a 30 sec animation of that lady, crowded house and all, in IRaylaughsurprisedevil

Following your progress with great interestsmiley! As I mentioned I only render in 3Delight, so can't really advice on IRay, just thinking it seems like IRay has a harder time coping with massive scenes, like yours, than 3DL. I kinda wonder what it would look like if you made an indoor HDRI with IRay and used IBL-master by Parris to render the final image in 3DL...just thinking out loud herewink...

All kinds of atmospheric effects are slow, no matter what render engine you use, so maybe some postwork would work better for this particular project?

As a side note, I'm trying to imagine making a 30 sec animation of that lady, crowded house and all, in IRaylaughsurprisedevil

I can't remember when I used 3DL the last time. I think, not anymore since Iray came out :-)

Actually, I cannot follow you on that "indoor HDRI with Iray". What exactly do you mean?

And... you just made me laugh! A 30 seconds animation? I think I need to buy a new computer just for that scene and let it run a few weeks... what is it? 30 frames per second? So... just 900 renders??? Peanuts!!! Done in 5 minutes!!! Hahaha! :-) But it surely would look nice once done :-)

Woohoo!!! I downsized the render to 1600 by 900 px and it's rendering! I can't believe it! :-) Hope it doesn't die somewhere in the middle...

Ralf1958 said:

Woohoo!!! I downsized the render to 1600 by 900 px and it's rendering! I can't believe it! :-) Hope it doesn't die somewhere in the middle...

yesNice!

Have a look at https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/266136/hdri-s-i-had-a-weird-idea#latest. How to make your own HDRIs inside DS!

Ralf1958 said:

yesNice!

Have a look at https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/266136/hdri-s-i-had-a-weird-idea#latest. How to make your own HDRIs inside DS!

This sounds really interresting! I will give a try :-)

Getting closer... after 12 hours, over night, I stopped the render. I am almost there... I like the way the light reflects on all the sequins. Just a bit to much fog caused by the godrays props. Next try! :-)

Ralf1958 said:

yesNice!

I just stopped my plans and decided to give a try for an interior 360° render. Starting with a very low resolution of 2048 x 1024 px. Just curious about how this turns out. Pretty sure it will take a very very long time to render a bigger one that can be used as dome. I know how to make HDRI in Photoshop, so it sounds interesting. If I will be successful, I promise, I will post the result as free download :-)

The major problem I see here, is that using this render as dome, it's going to difficult to position any performer inside. The fact that besides of rotating and maybe going a bit forward or back, you can't really move the camera to much inside the environment. Since the camera is located in the middle of the center ring, there is not much room to move around. Maybe I should position the cam more like from an audience view. That could work... any suggestions on this?

I see a big problem here... I had this small render 2048 x 1024 px going on for two hours. No filters involved besides of the bloom filter. After those two hours, it's not even close to what I consider a finished render. This means that if I want to render a 20k x 10k image, it would probably take a week! Or is a bigger image reducing render time?

Ralf1958 said:

Getting closer... after 12 hours, over night, I stopped the render. I am almost there... I like the way the light reflects on all the sequins. Just a bit to much fog caused by the godrays props. Next try! :-)

Impressive!!!

Ralf1958 said:
    Ralf1958 said:

yesNice!

I just stopped my plans and decided to give a try for an interior 360° render. Starting with a very low resolution of 2048 x 1024 px. Just curious about how this turns out. Pretty sure it will take a very very long time to render a bigger one that can be used as dome. I know how to make HDRI in Photoshop, so it sounds interesting. If I will be successful, I promise, I will post the result as free download :-)

Ralf1958 said:

The major problem I see here, is that using this render as dome, it's going to difficult to position any performer inside. The fact that besides of rotating and maybe going a bit forward or back, you can't really move the camera to much inside the environment. Since the camera is located in the middle of the center ring, there is not much room to move around. Maybe I should position the cam more like from an audience view. That could work... any suggestions on this?

Ralf1958 said:

I see a big problem here... I had this small render 2048 x 1024 px going on for two hours. No filters involved besides of the bloom filter. After those two hours, it's not even close to what I consider a finished render. This means that if I want to render a 20k x 10k image, it would probably take a week! Or is a bigger image reducing render time?

Hi! Hmm, I'm afraid you're right, using just the HDRI as a background won't be very practical, as there will be issues with camera placement as you said. In 3DL you could render the actual geometry using the IBL-Master and hide the HDRI, just use it as a light source. It wouldn't be as realistic as your IRay renders, but it could come pretty close I think. And using the HDRI that way doesn't require a mega render, since it will be used for lightning only, 2048x1024 would be more than sufficient, I believe. And atleast for me (Mac user, CPU rendering only) it probably would reduce rendertimes significantly. And there are the AoA products to create godrays/fog. Well that was what I thought I would like to try, and will try, if you decide to sell your product here in the store;)

Sorry if I took you onto the wrong track and caused you a lot of extra work=)  Anyway, as I said, your latest render is very cool and the audience looks so goodsmiley.

And Good Lucksmiley!

Ralf1958 said:
    Ralf1958 said:

yesNice!

Ralf1958 said:

Ralf1958 said:

Hi! Hmm, I'm afraid you're right, using just the HDRI as a background won't be very practical, as there will be issues with camera placement as you said. In 3DL you could render the actual geometry using the IBL-Master and hide the HDRI, just use it as a light source. It wouldn't be as realistic as your IRay renders, but it could come pretty close I think. And using the HDRI that way doesn't require a mega render, since it will be used for lightning only, 2048x1024 would be more than sufficient, I believe. And atleast for me (Mac user, CPU rendering only) it probably would reduce rendertimes significantly. And there are the AoA products to create godrays/fog. Well that was what I thought I would like to try, and will try, if you decide to sell your product here in the store;)

Sorry if I took you onto the wrong track and caused you a lot of extra work=)  Anyway, as I said, your latest render is very cool and the audience looks so goodsmiley.

And Good Lucksmiley!

No problem :-) I just had another idea, so I just tryed again and I had it let run over night. Now it's done, 2048 x 1024px. Just a simple jpg but... still usable :-) I think it's funny.

Here is the jpg...

And here is how it looks on FB :-)

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanCircusVirtual/posts/355571921642470

I love how it turned out :-)

Ralf1958 said:
    Ralf1958 said:
    Ralf1958 said:

yesNice!

Ralf1958 said:

Ralf1958 said:

And Good Lucksmiley!

No problem :-) I just had another idea, so I just tryed again and I had it let run over night. Now it's done, 2048 x 1024px. Just a simple jpg but... still usable :-) I think it's funny.

Here is the jpg...

And here is how it looks on FB :-)

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanCircusVirtual/posts/355571921642470

I love how it turned out :-)

Nice!

I tried to make another render of the parade in higher resolution with the caustics sampler turned on. It's not working. My computer manages 1600 x 900 px but if go over it, it stops rendering and I get a warning message about no more RAM available. Oh well... I think I have to live with that now! :-)

Since I wasn't happy with the godrays in the last renders, I created my own light beams for the spot lights. Seems to turn out well but probably on the end they will need to be adjusted. Trying to find out the correct settings :-)

A real spot light beam starts very strong and it looses power as further it goes. So I'm trying to get exactly that look :-)

There is an issue which I am encoutering here. So far, if I use only one spot with one beam, it looks great. Using two of them gets problematic if they intersect. The light in the beam geometry gets cut and it looks weard. But I will find a solution even for that. :-)

edited July 2018

Happy with this one :-)

It took almost 24 hours. I think it looks pretty good :-)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Your scenes are amazing.  Hope you get the computer resource thing sorted out because you have a real gem here.  Congrats.

Diomede said:

Your scenes are amazing.  Hope you get the computer resource thing sorted out because you have a real gem here.  Congrats.

Thank you so much @Diomede ! - I have 16GB RAM installed, it seems like they aren't enough. At first it was telling me it was the harddrive and I bought a bigger one, now it tells me it's the RAM. Actually I don't really have a clue what they built into my PC. I had it specially built for DAZ3D and all I do on it is DAZ and Photoshop. Nothing else. It's working fine, nothing I can say... beside of those very very heavy renders... I will see how much money they want to install a bigger RAM and if it's worth to me. It's not that I am always rendering such gigantic files :-) And... it's just a hobby... very expensive hobby!!! :-)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

This has been an amazing thread. I love all the circus stuff. Nice work.

This has been an amazing thread. I love all the circus stuff. Nice work.

Thank you @Knittingmommy! :-)

Ralf1958 said:

It should go straight into the Guinness Book of World Recordslaugh

Ralf1958 said:

It should go straight into the Guinness Book of World Recordslaugh

Thank you Sven! Now, that's a compliment!!! :-)

The Bob Gerry Troupe - High Wire Sensation

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

its all so very awesome

BTW if you ever did try an animation, composition is your friend, you layer image series like the pro's do, nobody does it all in one scene at that scale

a series of 360 renders on concentric spheres with alpha channels with just the ring animated is another way in DS itself

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,461

First off, way to fill a niche. I love it when folks notice something from the real world not represented in the 3D world and decided to fill that missing item with new content! As others have noted, you are sleighing this. Congrats!