Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    I've been a way for a bit, but I am back now... here is a modification of a previous Bryce scene I did

Impressive, I like the effect you have achieved here. Simple yet sophisticated.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Your latest dragon goes way beyond cool, neat, wow, etc. It's as though that dragon just walked out of the fog behind it. Nice work.

@Rareth: That's a fantastic image, IMHO, but I love that type image anyway.

Some time back someone gave a link to Xfrog, where nice looking trees were being given for free; a limited time I think it was. I saw one tree I really liked, a cherry I think, and an idea started floating around between my ears. I'd thought of using the tree on a rolling terrain but then David showed how to make grass using a modified tree.

If these images display in the correct order, the first image is my attempt at David's tree grass. Since I know dead grass sometimes can be seen amongst growing grass, I added dead grass as well. The second image is my attempt at using someone else's idea on making clouds using spheres. Which I know has been around for awhile but I'd never tried. Both of these are still in the WIP phase, since I haven't decided which of the cherry trees I downloaded from Xfrog I'll use. Once I put the three pieces together then I've got to do lighting, sky, etc. As usual, comments are gladly welcomed.

Tree_Foliage_Grass_5.png
    750 x 750 - 426K
    Tree_Foliage_Grass_2_2.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - very nice, like chains with diamonds.

@GussNemo - nice start.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

... Horo's handy little program).

Details please, if possible ... :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo.

Okay, I decided which tree from Xfrog to use, a cherry, one of three in the file I downloaded, and this is my first render with the grass, clouds and tree. Sun was adjusted a bit, clouds in Bryce sky adjusted, and I tried using TA. In this image I see two animals in the clouds. One is a Poodle the other is an elephant, neither one intentional. Hint: Poodle is on the left, elephant on the right.

Tree_Foliage_Grass_6.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

you missed the bunny wabbit

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GussNemo - I'm a sucker for saturated colors - enjoyed your render. I wish more days in my area were that colorful.

edited December 1969

@Pam: There are two rabbits, cotton tails actually. The head of one is straight left of the elephant, the elephant is in the middle on the right. And right below the cotton tail is a full image of another cotton tail. This one looks like it's going to take somethings head off. And, and...if you look at the bottom right you'll see a fish.

@sjhayes2: Thank you. I almost took the purple color out but as the render progressed I like how it looked in the sky.

I forgot to say the title of the image is Lone Tree. The image in my previous post was rendered at 4 RPP in 1 1/2 hours. The first image in this post was rendered at 9 RPP and rendered in about 2 1/2 hours. The second image was rendered at 16 RPP and rendered in a little over 5 hours. I was going to do another at 64 RPP but I thought a little over 11 hours was a bit much for this image.

I'll leave to you folks to determine which of the three looks the best, I'm sort of render blind at the moment. Like always, comments are welcomed.

Tree_Foliage_Grass_6_2.png
    750 x 750 - 1017K
    Tree_Foliage_Grass_6_1.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - the elephant is rather a mammoth and the bunny is cute. Such ambiguous figures ignite the imagination.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

I do see the bunny upside down in the left cloud bank

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

David –wow that looks really awesome.

Rareth –That’s a beautiful abstract.

Guss- your renders are cool. My fav – the last render. Thanks for the remainder -- using spheres for clouds, I also read it somewhere but forgot about it. The grass is looking good. There are still so many of David's tutorials to try.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited June 2013

Always good to drop by and get a dose of Bryce rendering. The discussion here is so much different than the DS rendering threads. It seems Brycers tend to be more technically minded, which isn't that surprising given the nature of the program and rendering engine.

Edit: Seems you guys are mostly staying out of the Genesis 2 apocalypse that has so many boarding up doors and windows. There's a full review up on my blog if any of you are still undecided on it.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Rareth...great depth-of-feel to this one...would imagine an anaglyph would push the effect even further.

Guss...while I can't see much difference in the last two images, however, for some unknown reason the bottom image looks better (bet you're subliminalimaging us 'smile'). Like the surreal feel of it, too, but as for the pareidolia...hahaaa...we could be here all day seeing things.

Jay

edited June 2013

jimzombie said:
    Always good to drop by and get a dose of Bryce rendering. The discussion here is so much different than the DS rendering threads. It seems Brycers tend to be more technically minded, which isn't that surprising given the nature of the program and rendering engine.

Edit: Seems you guys are mostly staying out of the Genesis 2 apocalypse that has so many boarding up doors and windows. There's a full review up on my blog if any of you are still undecided on it.

I'll put reading that on my "to do" list. Thanks Jim, it looks pretty comprehensive.

Edit (this "to do" done - yes I'm with you on the omission of the SSS maps and I suspect that Rashad would agree with you also since I'm certain I remember him explaining the importance of the variation of SSS response across texture maps - or something to that effect - in his own exhaustive experiments in Bryce to try and emulate the illusive yet strangely critical SSS skin effect).

I would use more figures in my scene if the DS bridge worked as it should and not in the half-hearted way it works for me most of the time.

That said, here's some renders I did this morning to put Horo's clever little conversion program through its paces. And in there you will see a Vicky!

Oulined15.jpg
    800 x 800 - 320K
    Oulined14.jpg
    800 x 800 - 314K
    Oulined13.jpg
    800 x 800 - 330K
    Oulined12.jpg
    800 x 800 - 149K
    Oulined11.jpg
    800 x 800 - 163K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

You're making big progress, David. Of the above, none is better than the other. They are different and it is good to know that things are so versatile.

edited December 1969

It's been years since I sat outside looking at the clouds for figures, animals, etc. While none of what can be seen in the images was intentional I almost instantly saw many animals. Hmmm...an upside down bunny? Guess I missed that one Trish.

@mermaid: Thanks.

@Jay: I'm in agreement with you about the third one being better for some reason. I've looked at all three several times and I believe the reason is due to the amount of RPP used for rendering. It's subtle, but if you look at the grass near the tree in the first image, then the second, then the third, I think you'll notice that grass is becoming more defined with the higher RPP used. It isn't a shouting change, but it's there all the same.

@David: Those are really neat images. Nice job.

edited June 2013

I took a scene I made 9 years ago, set the camera differently, bolted the EWL lens on it and changed the aspect ratio. Then I changed it for a toon look and added an HDRI to brighten up the shadows. Rendering it as 2000 x 2000 pixel with IBL quality 512 took 4 minutes and 20 seconds. Rendering the mask for the outlines in the same size took 1 minute and 32 seconds; converting the mask another 20 seconds. The final render in the same size 1 minute 15 seconds. The render as shown here rendered in 21 seconds.

burg05-comb.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 222K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I took a scene I made 9 years ago, set the camera differently, bolted the EWL lens on it and changed the aspect ratio. Then I changed it for a toon look and added an HDRI to brighten up the shadows. Rendering it as 2000 x 2000 pixel with IBL quality 512 took 4 minutes and 20 seconds. Rendering the mask for the outlines in the same size took 1 minute and 32 seconds; converting the mask another 20 seconds. The final render in the same size 1 minute 15 seconds. The render as shown here rendered in 21 seconds.

This version is good, but I think I like the all white version better.

Here's another slack hand full of experiments. Again courtesy of Horo's clever programming.

Also, is it my imagination or is this website less broken than it was? Only I've made two posts today without the usual rigmarole of having to submit it seven times over.

Oulined20.jpg
    800 x 800 - 210K
    Oulined19.jpg
    800 x 800 - 192K
    Oulined18.jpg
    800 x 800 - 125K
    Oulined17.jpg
    800 x 800 - 146K
    Oulined16.jpg
    800 x 800 - 373K
    edited December 1969

This version is good, but I think I like the all white version better..

That one? It took 21 seconds to render - normal priority.

The outlines you show are all extraordinary. I really like with what you're coming up.

burg05-cel.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 135K
    edited June 2013

Horo said:

I showed this to someone, just from the large render screen and asked then what they thought it was done in.

I sahll whisper what the asnwer was, cos you may not like it

He said "Colour by numbers"

I think it's quite amazing what can be done in Bryce, when you know how.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I see - though the colours were made before the outlines came, so it's the other way around.

Bryce has so many possibilities I think even the developers weren't aware of. It's all here to discover. A heaven for the tinkerer and a nightmare for the artist who has to meet deadlines.

edited June 2013

I know, I love coming back to this thread and discovering what else someone has done with Bryce, even if I do then go back and yet another bucolic landscape.

It was always my fave part of art studies, either landscape painting or fashion design. (the 2nd one of which does explain my website, and is the only thing I have ever made any money from, artwise)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Very Interesting and amazing work by David and Horo.

David I think you are having a good day with he forum. This is my fifth attempted to post a short reply.

edited June 2013

Very Interesting and amazing work by David and Horo.

David I think you are having a good day with he forum. This is my fifth attempted to post a short reply.

Thank you! Both for your interest and also for the feedback over the forum. Hmn... you know, to be fair, I figured the chances of me being lucky were about evens with the chances of something having been fixed. DAZ do fix things, it would be unfair to suggest otherwise, but... sometimes, also, I'm quite lucky. In the case of Bryce, very lucky at times, exceptionally so! Partly to find a hobby that I enjoy, but mostly to find a community that shares my enjoyment of this hobby.

In this case, to give credit where credit is due, Horo has done something that is beyond my capability in writing a program to bridge the gap between what Bryce can save and what the Terrain Editor can load. This - which he will no doubt claim is a modest achievement - is a small application with a lot of untapped creative potential. Here it is used to generate accurate outlines for "toon" shaded images, but that is not the limit of what can be done with it. Unfortunately real world work has me in its grasp at the moment, but without a doubt (given the economic situation) work will dry up and then I'll have a chance to see what else can be achieved with this program.

Edit. A new video about some experiments I've been conducting. Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Extreme diffuse response - by David Brinnen

Start_point_for_experiment5.jpg
    512 x 512 - 100K
    Start_point_for_experiment5i.jpg
    512 x 512 - 100K
    Start_point_for_experiment3i.jpg
    512 x 512 - 99K
    Start_point_for_experiment2i.jpg
    512 x 512 - 85K
    Start_point_for_experiment2.jpg
    512 x 512 - 85K
    edited June 2013

Extreme light from TA optimsed HDRI balanced against extreme negative ambient in the material to give very high contrast results.

Oulined21.jpg
    800 x 800 - 160K
    Extreme_TA_conterast2.jpg
    512 x 512 - 111K
    Extreme_TA_contrast1.jpg
    512 x 512 - 60K
    edited December 1969

@David - the first one of your previous post with the negative response looks great.

And again the first above looks incredible. Noise is a bit of an issue but could also be exploited artistically.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - the first one of your previous post with the negative response looks great.

And again the first above looks incredible. Noise is a bit of an issue but could also be exploited artistically.

Thanks Horo, yes the noise could be an effect or it can be overcome.

Other layering effects are possible too. I'm a bit spoiled for choice in what direction to go in next.

Oulined22b.jpg
    800 x 800 - 231K
    Extreme_TA_conterast3.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 187K
    edited June 2013

Starting with this render I did before and then in a series of renders and "treatments" converting it to a stylised render.

Edit, OK the uploader is playing up so the top image is the finished image and the lower image is the starting image.

New_two_part_boxes2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 415K
    Oulined_hatched2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 240K
    edited December 1969

Overcome, then. Looks excellent. The stylised render looks awesome.

I have been trying to create a blooming effect as we know from oscilloscopes with the brightness set too high. But I haven't been successful.

burg05-Scope01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 126K
    edited December 1969

I like that effect.

This discussion has been closed.