edited September 2017 in The Commons

We just got the confirmation, from the producer,  over 
in the sci fi forum on Google+

Oh well I hope the new Star trek discovery, starting in 23 days,  helps me

support my sci fi addiction.sad

Post edited by wolf359 on

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,127

It had such a promising ending. I was really waiting for a next season of it.

• Doh! And I was getting into it too :(

Not the greatest but it was a good show and had potential for more.

Not sure about the new star trek - I love all the treks, but the trailer for the new one gave it more of the new-movie feel than the older series (TOS or Next-Gen).  I'll give it a go though.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135

And that's why I don't bother with SyFy anymore.  Every show they get that's any good winds up being canceled.  Battlestar is the last one I can think of that was allowed to run it's full course

• I really enjoyed the first two season of DarkMatter, but this thrid season felt different.  Still disappointed to hear the shows cancelled. I'm also looking forward to ST Discovery!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,925
    dragotx said:

And that's why I don't bother with SyFy anymore.  Every show they get that's any good winds up being canceled.  Battlestar is the last one I can think of that was allowed to run it's full course

Believe it or not, they actually seem to have a policy of not letting any of the high-budget shows run for more episodes than is absolutely necessary to sell them into syndication... even if they're still popular.  The cheap reality shows can run longer, but I think Eureka has been the only real exception to the four season rule.  On the other hand, the producers of Battlestar and Warehouse 13 were basically told to wrap their storylines up even though fans were screaming for more. My understanding is that the math works out so that as the actors and other creative personel's contracts come up for renewall, it gets more expensive to produce the same show on a per episode basis and after four seasons it actually gets harder to sell the series profitably. 

And if you think that's twisty, the math behind their original SyFy features is even funkier. 

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135
    dragotx said:

Believe it or not, they actually seem to have a policy of not letting any of the high-budget shows run for more episodes than is absolutely necessary to sell them into syndication... even if they're still popular.  The cheap reality shows can run longer, but I think Eureka has been the only real exception to the four season rule.  On the other hand, the producers of Battlestar and Warehouse 13 were basically told to wrap their storylines up even though fans were screaming for more. My understanding is that the math works out so that as the actors and other creative personel's contracts come up for renewall, it gets more expensive to produce the same show on a per episode basis and after four seasons it actually gets harder to sell the series profitably. 

And if you think that's twisty, the math behind their original SyFy features is even funkier. 

I absoultely buy that, it's about the only way to explain (other than gross incompetence, which I would also believe) why ones like Farscape, Stargate, Eureka, Warehouse 13, etc were canceled when they were.  They just keep killing good shows to replace them with crap like their fake reality shows or Wrestling.  

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910

My husband did tell me about this when he saw the news this morning.  Oh well. :(    I enjoyed the show, but this season has been a little less satisfying for me.  At least Killjoys has 2 more seasons.  As for Star Trek Discovery?  Since it will be on CBS Access, which I believe is another special pay service, I am not sure if I will catch it.  Just like Stargate Origins.  Hopefully some of the other new SciFi series will be enjoyable

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

Our beloved sci-fi is always hit by early cancellations. Meanwhile, they have so many brainless non-funny "sit-coms" that go on ..and on ..and on.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,286

Bummer.  I liked the show a bit too.  +1 on ScyFy always killing the good shows. 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    dragotx said:
    dragotx said:

I absoultely buy that, it's about the only way to explain (other than gross incompetence, which I would also believe) why ones like Farscape, Stargate, Eureka, Warehouse 13, etc were canceled when they were.  They just keep killing good shows to replace them with crap like their fake reality shows or Wrestling.  

Or the endlessly stupid made-for-tv disaster flicks with the same plotline - discredited scientist predicts disaster, is ignored, saves the world with the help of his kids.

At least they let Warehouse 13 have a half-season to do a clean-up. And for those of you who have not purchased the DVD sets - Claudia's "Best job ever"close to the tap-dance sequence  on the sixth and final episode -- was the last line of dialogue shot for the last scene shot and the DVD behind the scenes bit has the second unit camera pull back to show most of the show staff. The line was a call-out of the feelings of everyone who worked on the show.

• It's hard to get excited about new sci-fi shows when you know their days are numbered right from the get-go.  If I like a show, it's pretty much guaranteed to be doomed.

I'm still miffed about SGU being cancelled just when it finally really got good.

edited September 2017
    Morana said:

It's hard to get excited about new sci-fi shows when you know their days are numbered right from the get-go.  If I like a show, it's pretty much guaranteed to be doomed.

I'm still miffed about SGU being cancelled just when it finally really got good.

Oh yes! I totally agree. SGU was awesome - I've watched the entire series (what little there is of it) all the way through like three times. Just miffs me that it ended so abruptly. So many good shows go that way though. I'm like you, hard to get excited about a new sci-fi series when I know it's probably not going to last. Doubly so if it's produced by Fox.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Crap one of the few shows that i watched

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I quit syfy when the shows just started getting real corney (making 20th century refrences in Hurcules and Zena for example) then things just went downhill further when they changed their name from Sci-fi to syfy

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,701
    I'm still angry about Farscape.
    JoeQuick said:
    I'm still angry about Farscape.

Yeah, you and me both. But at least it lasted longer than many other sci-fi series do. I'm glad Claudia Black got to be on SG1 though. Was fun to see her in that series, and I suppose she probably couldn't have juggled both series' - so at least something good came of it. 

• Our beloved sci-fi is always hit by early cancellations. Meanwhile, they have so many brainless non-funny "sit-coms" that go on ..and on ..and on.

I'm totally with you on that one !!!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Dark Matter never really captured me, but I'm still sorry to see any sci-fi show go (at least any sci-fi show that had any kind of effort put into it). 

The Expanse is still going strong, and it's superb, so I'm happy (at least til they cancel it in 3, 2, 1...).  For those who haven't seen it,  it's like Game of Thrones + Firefly/Serenity, with a dash of Total Recall, a hint of Blade Runner, and a bit of Alien. This latest season has the most physically realistic (and therefore exciting imo) ship-to-ship-to-station battle I've ever seen in film.  Amos is one of those characters that sneaks up on you, and suddenly you realize 'that's my favorite character, and I didn't even see it coming'.  It's so good that I still can't believe it's on Syfy, to be honest, and not on HBO or another premium channel known for investing time/effort/money into an elongated storyline (though I guess both Rome and Deadwood woulld probably disagree with my generalization, lol).  It's not perfect in every respect (it really irks me when the Martian marines refer to each other as 'Soldier!'; some things in the future may change I can't imagine that every being something a real marine from any planet would ever do), but I've been delighted at how well it's  done so far.  I wish hollywood would finally learn the lesson:  Stick to the storyline in the books, stupid!  But lately with shows like Expanse, Game of Thrones, Last Kingdom, it seems they might be slowly catching on to this concept.   I saw the film Death Note on netflix the other day and it really struck me how foolish it is for the entertainment industry to shell out lots of money to acquire the rights to a property, then throw everything about that property away and make up a whole (crappy, shallow, stupid) new storyline.  If they're going to go that route, they might as well save themselves some expense and not buy the rights to a previously developed property at all, just make some random forgettable cliche-ridden new thing instead that the public can just ignore, rather than destroying a known storyline so completely.

Jonstark said:

For those who haven't seen it,  it's like Game of Thrones + Firefly/Serenity, with a dash of Total Recall, a hint of Blade Runner, and a bit of Alien. 

That sounds like the greatest sci-fi show ever! I'm going to have to look into that!

• GatorGator Posts: 1,286
    Morana said:

It's hard to get excited about new sci-fi shows when you know their days are numbered right from the get-go.  If I like a show, it's pretty much guaranteed to be doomed.

Oh yes! I totally agree. SGU was awesome - I've watched the entire series (what little there is of it) all the way through like three times. Just miffs me that it ended so abruptly. So many good shows go that way though. I'm like you, hard to get excited about a new sci-fi series when I know it's probably not going to last. Doubly so if it's produced by Fox.

Yeah I enjoyed SGU and they cancelled it when it caught it's stride.  It was shaky at first, but I stuck with it and it was worth it.

Morana said:

Yeah I enjoyed SGU and they cancelled it when it caught it's stride.  It was shaky at first, but I stuck with it and it was worth it.

Absolutely! And I still think Rush was one of the most misunderstood characters in sci-fi history. lol Such a wonderfully complex character. Robert Carlyle did an amazing job playing that part. 

• Another vote for The Expanse.  It has a surprisingly intense level of subplot complexity. 

• I know I need to get over it but I'm still bitter over FireFly's cancellation.  I enjoyb Darm Matter but agree with one of the comments above that the tone of the show changed a lot this season.  I'd keep watching though if it continued.  Killjoys - I wanted to get into but could not.  I'm quite enjoying Salvation which is not sci-fi but sort of futuristic/political/action.  

• Man, that just... uh ,better not use that word here.  I will miss Dark Matter but it seemed a little different this year.  I will really miss Zoie Plamer's portrail of the Android and I thought that stroy line was starting to go somewhere.  Oh well, impatinetly waiting for the next season of The Expanse and Killjoys is still around.  There is a rumor that Killjoys will at least touch the Marvel Universe some how and I heard NovaCore mentioned in one of the episodes so maybe it will stick around for a few more years.

Now if we can just get some UN & MCRN style uniforms and period appropriate Earther, belter, and Mars colony clothing & Props...  Come on PA's we need a lot more near future space content.

• I was so sad when I heard this news. At least Killjoys (which I also like) has been renewed. I had trouble getting into "The Expanse" but by the end of it, I was engaged (though I almost dropped it midwaythrough). I started watching "The Handmaid's Tale" and, though it's not sci-fi, it's amazing so far (I'm on episode 5).

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,925

I was so sad when I heard this news. At least Killjoys (which I also like) has been renewed. I had trouble getting into "The Expanse" but by the end of it, I was engaged (though I almost dropped it midwaythrough). I started watching "The Handmaid's Tale" and, though it's not sci-fi, it's amazing so far (I'm on episode 5).

The Handmaid's Tale IS Science Fiction... it's just that the science that it's constructucted around is sociology. The same goes for The Man In The High Castle and other alternate timeline stories like Groundhog Day and Life On Mars.  That's part of the reason a lof of fans prefer to use the acronym SF, as it can alternately stand for Speculative Fiction to cover things like the works of Kurt Vonegutt and Jack Finney, or Science Fantasy to cover things like Superhero movies and Star Wars.  

And yes, The Expanse is great. I ended up at a party with half the cast at comicon last year and had no idea what the show was about, but have become a huge fan since.  I also fully expect SyFy to cancel it by the end of the fourth season, but at least the books will be there for some kind of closure.  The other SF shows I strongly recomend right now are Westworld, the just wrapped Orphan Black, Dr. Who, I Zombie and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency... the latter being a real suprise as I didn't care for the books even though I'm a huge Hitchhikers fan.  I'm having a similar reaction to Midnight Texas, which I'm also finding to be better structured and written than the original source material.    

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249

I'm sorry to hear that about Dark Matter , I've been enjoying the series:( Many good sci-fi series seem to get cancelled after only 1 or 2 series...SGU, Odyssey 5, Firefly... They never seem to take the lessons from the original Star Trek....

• The third season hasn't made it to Netflix yet, but I enjoyed the first two. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited September 2017
    Morana said:

I like a good SF show but sometimes I feel that it's better to have a good story line that has a satisfying ending rather than endless variations of essentially the same plotline.  SGU was terrible in the beginning but got better once they got rid of the officious Earth military villian.  Then near the end you could see a sense of deep philosophy entering the plot and that they were realizing that it was a never ending trip that would be more of the same ol' same ol'.  And not just for the writers, but for the characters onboard too.  The final ending scene facing the infinite vastness of uncounted galaxies ahead of them was satisfying enough for me.  You can follow deep philosophy only so far before it becomes preaching.

The British seem to have a good approach to TV series.  They turn out to be long novels that have well planned endings.  The American producers on the other hand often milk a plot until the milk turns sour then kick the cow.  Bottom line decisions, and hang any other aesthetics.  I think SF series should follow the plan of Babylon 5 which was luckily allowed to complete the 5 year plan, but only by the skin of their teeth.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited September 2017
    Morana said:

I like a good SF show but sometimes I feel that it's better to have a good story line that has a satisfying ending rather than endless variations of essentially the same plotline.  SGU was terrible in the beginning but got better once they got rid of the officious Earth military villian.  Then near the end you could see a sense of deep philosophy entering the plot and that they were realizing that it was a never ending trip that would be more of the same ol' same ol'.  And not just for the writers, but for the characters onboard too.  The final ending scene facing the infinite vastness of uncounted galaxies ahead of them was satisfying enough for me.  You can follow deep philosophy only so far before it becomes preaching.

The British seem to have a good approach to TV series.  They turn out to be long novels that have well planned endings.  The American producers on the other hand often milk a plot until the milk turns sour then drop it.  Bottom line decisions and hang any other aesthetics.  I think SF series should follow the plan of Babylon 5 which was luckily allowed to complete the 5 year plan, but only by the skin of their teeth.

The final episode of SGU was not satisfying to me. It just left me wanting more - much more. Sad to see it end too soon. However the final episode of SG1, "Unending", was incredible and hugely satisfying to me. You really felt the time passing. You felt the dispair of being stuck, of having your entire life confined to a small ship and a small group of people with no future outside of that. The relationships that developed. Jackson and Vala - "You better not be messing with me." lol And in juxtaposition, the way the final "ending" came around - the fantastic vastness of their future, the endless possibilities of where they could go, of what they could do, of what they could experience - after the dispair and confined emptiness of their previous future. After putting you through that emotional ringer of being "caged", only to let you free to fly at the end. With a future of endless possibilities. Just one of the best endings ever!

Post edited by 3Diva on