Way off topic: SYFY series "Dark Matter" canceled :-(

Comments

• Oh no :(
    Feels a bit as if they had cut off Babylon 5 right when the Shadows showed up, the really big stuff was still to come I think.
    The show creator for Dark Matter seemed to be into it with all his heart and was super exited about the story he had planned for the next two seasons, I`d have liked to see that.

Well, at least I can watch this if I need cheering up ;)

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135
    Flipmode said:

Oh no :(
    Feels a bit as if they had cut off Babylon 5 right when the Shadows showed up, the really big stuff was still to come I think.
    The show creator for Dark Matter seemed to be into it with all his heart and was super exited about the story he had planned for the next two seasons, I`d have liked to see that.

Well, at least I can watch this if I need cheering up ;)

Babylon 5 was always planned out as a 5 year series. Unfortunately they were canceled in their 4th season, so they moved a bunch of stuff forward to tie off the loose ends they could, then filmed a goodbye episode. Then TNT picked them up unexpectedly, so they had to retool and pull up stuff that had been loosely planned out, but was being held for any continue uations they got past the 5 years.
  • That sucks! Really liked this show. However, I am happy that we got 3 seasons. I didn't expect to get past season 1 if I'm honest.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538

I can't believe Kill Joys got renewed, but Dark Matter was cancelled.  I watched both, but Dark Matter was the better shows IMO.  The Expanse is my favorite show on TV right now.  If SYFY cancels that one, I might shun them forever.  I mean come on, what happened to there "new commitment" to the genre?  Their supernatural shows go on forever, but their actual sci-fi shows go prematurly.  Might as well change your name.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited September 2017
    tkdrobert said:

I can't believe Kill Joys got renewed, but Dark Matter was cancelled.  I watched both, but Dark Matter was the better shows IMO.  The Expanse is my favorite show on TV right now.  If SYFY cancels that one, I might shun them forever.  I mean come on, what happened to there "new commitment" to the genre?  Their supernatural shows go on forever, but their actual sci-fi shows go prematurly.  Might as well change your name.

You're surprised that supernatural stuff is more popular than science (even science fiction) stuff?  surprise Take a walk outside of the ivory tower. sad 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited September 2017

I seen some previews for the new fox tv series the Orville it looks like it going to be  funny.

https://www.fox.com/the-orville/

Post edited by Ivy on
    tkdrobert said:

You're surprised that supernatural stuff is more popular than science (even science fiction) stuff?  surprise Take a walk outside of the ivory tower. sad 

Suprised? No.  Annoyed?  Yes. 

A psychotic thinks 2+2=6.  A neurotic knows 2+2=4, but can't stand it.  I maybe a little neurotic.  LOL!

• gederixgederix Posts: 390
    And yes, The Expanse is great. I ended up at a party with half the cast at comicon last year and had no idea what the show was about, but have become a huge fan since.  I also fully expect SyFy to cancel it by the end of the fourth season, but at least the books will be there for some kind of closure.  The other SF shows I strongly recomend right now are Westworld, the just wrapped Orphan Black, Dr. Who, I Zombie and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency... the latter being a real suprise as I didn't care for the books even though I'm a huge Hitchhikers fan.  I'm having a similar reaction to Midnight Texas, which I'm also finding to be better structured and written than the original source material.    

Another vote for the Expanse here, very well done TV sci-fi fare, some really great characters. And Orphan Black is excellent (bbc america, or amazon prime).

Ivy said:

I seen some previews for the new fox tv series the Orville it looks like it going to be  funny.

From what I've read online, McFarlane is not very happy with the advertising for the show, apparently it's not as much a pure comedy as the ads are making it.  It's more of a character driven show with funny bits.  I'll definitely be giving it a shot, but Fox is the network with the second worst track record for cancelling sci-fi shows after SyFy channel itself, so I'm not very optimistic about it's chances.

dragotx said:
    Ivy said:

From what I've read online, McFarlane is not very happy with the advertising for the show, apparently it's not as much a pure comedy as the ads are making it.  It's more of a character driven show with funny bits.  I'll definitely be giving it a shot, but Fox is the network with the second worst track record for cancelling sci-fi shows after SyFy channel itself, so I'm not very optimistic about it's chances.

They didn't market Firefly very well either which hurt it pretty bad.  I'm still pissed about Firefly and Terminater: The Sarah Connor Chronicals.

tkdrobert said:
    dragotx said:
    Ivy said:

They didn't market Firefly very well either which hurt it pretty bad.  I'm still pissed about Firefly and Terminater: The Sarah Connor Chronicals.

Suppsedly the guy behind cancelling Firefly has a very long history of killing fan favorite shows.  Long enough that I'm amazed anyone hires him anymore.  I really think the main reason they picked up firefly was to keep the old UPN (who had snagged Buffy and Angel away from Fox) from getting another Joss Whedon show and kicking Fox's ratings in the teeth with it again.  And the timing on Terminator makes me suspect they were just interested in using it as a way of resetting the timeline so they could move on Terminator: Salvation the way they did.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,926
    edited September 2017
    dragotx said:
    tkdrobert said:
    dragotx said:
    Ivy said:

Suppsedly the guy behind cancelling Firefly has a very long history of killing fan favorite shows.  Long enough that I'm amazed anyone hires him anymore.  I really think the main reason they picked up firefly was to keep the old UPN (who had snagged Buffy and Angel away from Fox) from getting another Joss Whedon show and kicking Fox's ratings in the teeth with it again.  And the timing on Terminator makes me suspect they were just interested in using it as a way of resetting the timeline so they could move on Terminator: Salvation the way they did.

The Terminator SCC thing was especially bad because they had all but told the producer that they were getting another season, so the creators set up that awful cliffhanger.  Meanwhile, the network had all but told Whedon that Dollhouse, which was getting lower ratings than TSCC, woluld most liekly be canceled, so he intentionally went and shot an episode that could serve as a coda for the series.  Then, at the last minute, Fox reversed themselves and kept the lower rated show, so suddenly Dollhouse had to work around an ending that had already been hinted at while Terminator SCC fans were totally hosed.  

The worst cancellation that I can remember, though, was DAY BREAK on ABC.  It was a 13 episode limited series that combined the 'time looping' gimmick of Groundhog Day with a cop show/murder mystery, and all the advertising in advanced talked about what a great idea it was, because the story would have a beginning, middle and end in the manner most UK series do.  And then, of course, with every episode shot and finished, they cancelled it halfway through the season and stopped putting it online because of "music clearance issues."   Eventually they released the unbroadcast episodes online and on DVD, but for months people were left hanging in the middle of the story, knowing that it had been completely finished and done but that they might never get to see it.          

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • Bitten had the same fate as well... I really loved that show.

• Killjoys is worth a watch if you haven't. It's got quite the Firefly feel to it and some great banter.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575

You shouldn't end a season with a cliffhanger unless you can GUARANTEE its resolution will be aired.

pwiecek said:

You shouldn't end a season with a cliffhanger unless you can GUARANTEE its resolution will be aired.

You will still run into ones like Farscape, where they were assured of being renewed so they went with one hell of a cliffhanger (even for a show known for serious cliffhangers), then got canceled after it aired.

• dragotx said:
    pwiecek said:

You will still run into ones like Farscape, where they were assured of being renewed so they went with one hell of a cliffhanger (even for a show known for serious cliffhangers), then got canceled after it aired.

Farscape got a reprieve though.
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,821

"Farscape got a reprieve though."

Yes at least they did that two hour movie that tied up all of the loose ends 
    quite nicely with a great homage to stanley kubricks classic 2001.

dragotx said:
    pwiecek said:

Farscape got a reprieve though.

Only because if how massive the fan uprising was. There was a huge online campaign over it, big enough for the advertising companies to notice
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,821

" but Fox is the network with the second worst
     track record for cancelling sci-fi shows after SyFy
     channel itself, so I'm not very optimistic about it's chances."

Indeed particularly if it has alot of VFX elements like Terra Nova,
    I  honestly dont see "The Orville" making it past one season.

The reality is that TV shows(cable &broadcast) get budget approval for a certain number of episodes
    and if the Ad revenues dont justify the repurchase of another season
    it is doomed.

Add to this the harsh reality that people now have the ability to see any show (cable &broadcast),
    Free&without ads by getting them from torrent within hours after their airing.
    And the instant gratification & binge watching distribution model of netflix etc.
    and one can see how the "Appoinment TV" shows on weekly schedules 
    can have the shelf life of an unrefrigerated shrimp salad at a fourth of july picnic.  

wolf359 said:

The reality is that TV shows(cable &broadcast) get budget approval for a certain number of episodes
    it is doomed.

Add to this the harsh reality that people now have the ability to see any show (cable &broadcast),
    And the instant gratification & binge watching distribution model of netflix etc.
    can have the shelf life of an unrefrigerated shrimp salad at a fourth of july picnic.  

Orville is different from the others though, Fox is heavily invested in Seth Mcfarlane's other properties, he makes a hell of a lot of money for the network.  So they are not going to want to irk him enough that he takes his toys and goes home.  And with Orville being a major passion project for him right now, it might have a better shot than it normally would because of that extra consideration the network has to have.

• This thread reminds me that I never dug up the online comic that tied up Revolution after it was axed.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,926
    wolf359 said:

it is doomed.

And the ironic thing is that the shows themselves aren't the problem.  It's the ridiculous level of overhead that the networks slop on top of everything else... the funniest thing about 30 Rock to people in the industry was that most of it was based on the sheer surreality of working in a business where half of the players are not only clueless, but drawing insane paychecks while the actual creatives are often treated shamefully.  Here's the basic truth - the major networks don't exist to produce quality programming.  They exist to make money off of advertising, and the vast majority of their efforts are built around how much money they can make for how much spent for a given hour of programming.  Channels like AMC, MTV, Starz and USA have been proving for years that shows produced on reasonable budgets can be sucessful and profitable with ratings that the networks scoff at, and Netflix and Amazon have proved repeatedly that A-list, Emmy winning programs can be made for even smaller audience bases, but if NBC or CBS can pull better advertising numbers with a horrible reality show, guess what we're going to get?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    wolf359 said:

We just got the confirmation, from the producer,  over 
    in the sci fi forum on Google+

Oh well I hope the new Star trek discovery, starting in 23 days,  helps me

support my sci fi addiction.sad

This is why I don't buy series; I wait until they show up for free.

I invest time in something then they cant be bothered to complete the story.

I won't be paying to watch Star Trek on CBS all access.  Not going to happen.

edited September 2017

Apprently, Dark Matter started as a comic series.  If the show doesn't get picked up by another network, maybe it will continue as a comic.

"Hopefully, the story will get to play out over five seasons as planned, but should it meet an untimely end, Mallozzi and Mullie have a built-in escape hatch to share their ending with the world."

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • Tanis VoltaTanis Volta Posts: 550
    edited September 2017

I lost interest in the series  on the last season, it was getting worse scripted and overall was uncreative

Post edited by Tanis Volta on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Still not happy about the V reboot cancellation >:(

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    wolf359 said:

it is doomed.

Commercial television doesn't exit to entertain us; it exists to sell us to advertisers. And I've grown so tired of seeing the same pointless, stupid ads that I only watch on a dvr that lets me skip them. I honestly cannot remember the last time any ad caused me to purchase anything; I can remember, however, the two brands of toilet paper I will never purchase because of the ads from 10 or more years ago.

I now wait for a series to get well into season 2 before I start watching; if I like it, I try to get season 1 on dvd. If the dvd sets are not available, I drop the series - I don't do streaming video.