Way off topic: SYFY series "Dark Matter" canceled :-(

13»

Comments

• darren_dd9be07039darren_dd9be07039 Posts: 59
    edited September 2017

Shame, it was a good mix of adventure and humour, like SG1 was. Too many many shows and sci-fi movies have the doom and gloom without any humour to balance them, I think that's where SGU failed at the beginning. I liked the new Battlestar Galactica because it took a different approach to the Star Trek shows at the time, but as it did well all the sci-fi producers wanted was more Galactica clones.

With all the stuff going on in the news and in the world at the moment, I want some more shows with at least some optimism and humour. If I wanted perpetual doom and gloom I'd watch EastEnders.

Post edited by darren_dd9be07039 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Shame, it was a good mix of adventure and humour, like SG1 was. Too many many shows and sci-fi movies have the doom and gloom without any humour to balance them, I think that's where SGU failed at the beginning. I liked the new Battlestar Galactica because it took a different approach to the Star Trek shows at the time, but as it did well all the sci-fi producers wanted was more Galactica clones.

With all the stuff going on in the news and in the world at the moment, I want some more shows with at least some optimism and humour. If I wanted perpetual doom and gloom I'd watch EastEnders.

... and Coronation Street can also be grouped with my comment below..

Talk about pointless. It is supposed to be real-life, yet I see SciFi and Horror shows being as 'true to life'.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited September 2017

I've seen the first two seasons of Dark Matter on Netflix and quite enjoyed it.  I thought it was over, done with.  Now I hear that there is a 3rd season.  Cool! yes  But watching it on Netflix I don't have pesky commercials, and I get drawn into the plot for the duration of each episode.  Five minutes of commercials every 10 minutes drive me nuts so I gave up commercial TV well over a year ago and haven't missed it.   Instead of $100/month I'm paying $10/month and when I exhaust the interesting offerings from Netflix I'll switch to Hulu for a while.  enlightened Sure, I don't see the latest shows, but 95% of them are crap anyway.  And my life will absolutely not fall apart and the world will not self-destruct if I don't see them.  But someday I may be pleasantly surprised to see some much talked about show or series find its way to Netflix.  Yea!

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Amazon Prime has some good stuff on it, like The Ray Bradbury Theatre!

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,868
    edited September 2017

I wanted to like Dark Matter much more than I actually did. It had potential, but I found the story writing left the characters very flat. You could easily switch the script from one character to another and it would not really notice the difference.

Battlestar was really the last "recent" good space sci-fi to come out. The characters were real people in real situations, all with their own personalities and struggles. Very well written.

edited to add...oh yeah "The Expanse" is pretty good too..forgot about that one

Post edited by RawArt on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

Amazon Prime has some good stuff on it, like The Ray Bradbury Theatre!

They just brought back the "Tick " and they have a new series caslled the odyssey or something like too. But the "Tick" is not as funny as the original was

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    dragotx said:
    Ivy said:

I seen some previews for the new fox tv series the Orville it looks like it going to be  funny.

https://www.fox.com/the-orville/

From what I've read online, McFarlane is not very happy with the advertising for the show, apparently it's not as much a pure comedy as the ads are making it.  It's more of a character driven show with funny bits.  I'll definitely be giving it a shot, but Fox is the network with the second worst track record for cancelling sci-fi shows after SyFy channel itself, so I'm not very optimistic about it's chances.

The reviews (lots of them, all negative) say the advertising teasers are taken out of context and that the actual show is much more serious.

And derivative, moralizing, and basically not worth bothering with. I'll give it a go, but I'm not salivating like I was last month.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    dragotx said:

And that's why I don't bother with SyFy anymore.  Every show they get that's any good winds up being canceled.  Battlestar is the last one I can think of that was allowed to run it's full course

I was actually starting to enjoy the BSG prequel "Caprica", but they cut that off without even airing all 19 "in the can" episodes.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135
    wiz said:
    dragotx said:

And that's why I don't bother with SyFy anymore.  Every show they get that's any good winds up being canceled.  Battlestar is the last one I can think of that was allowed to run it's full course

I was actually starting to enjoy the BSG prequel "Caprica", but they cut that off without even airing all 19 "in the can" episodes.

Caprica fell in the group when SyFy went through and killed most of their shows over several months and started bringing in all those supposed "reality" shows and wrestling.  That's when I stopped watching the channel.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited September 2017
    wiz said:
    dragotx said:
    Ivy said:

I seen some previews for the new fox tv series the Orville it looks like it going to be  funny.

From what I've read online, McFarlane is not very happy with the advertising for the show, apparently it's not as much a pure comedy as the ads are making it.  It's more of a character driven show with funny bits.  I'll definitely be giving it a shot, but Fox is the network with the second worst track record for cancelling sci-fi shows after SyFy channel itself, so I'm not very optimistic about it's chances.

The reviews (lots of them, all negative) say the advertising teasers are taken out of context and that the actual show is much more serious.

I'll never understand why they do that. They will, therefore, attract people who were expecting a "sitcom in space" and when they watch it and realize it's not, they will be turned off and not watch it anyway. And it will keep anyone who might be interested in a more serious sci-fi show from watching it - presumably the very same people who would enjoy it and KEEP watching it. The false advertising approach makes zero sense. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I think they are hoping for that initial boatload of people expecting a comedy to give the show a great first episode airing, then hopefully many of those people who wouldn't have normally watched it will stick with it, then word of mouth or whatever will reach those who wanted a more serious show...

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited September 2017
    wiz said:
    dragotx said:
    Ivy said:

I'll never understand why they do that. They will, therefore, attract people who were expecting a "sitcom in space" and when they watch it and realize it's not, they will be turned off and not watch it anyway. And it will keep anyone who might be interested in a more serious sci-fi show from watching it - presumably the very same people who would enjoy it and KEEP watching it. The false advertising approach makes zero sense. 

Monty Python had something to say about TV programmers in the sketch http://www.montypython.net/scripts/jokesales.php  Pertinent line about 8 lines down the skit when asked about his position at the BBC his reply is: "BBC Man: Quite a lot yes, quite a lot. I'm mainly in comedy. I'd like to be in Programming Planning actually, but unfortunately I've got a degree. ".

(Somebody please laugh, you don't know how hard I had to squeeze my ancient brain to remember enough about that sketch to be able to find the relevant quote. sad  I'm quite tired now, I think I'll go lay down.)  indecision 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    wiz said:
    dragotx said:
    Ivy said:

Monty Python had something to say about TV programmers in the sketch http://www.montypython.net/scripts/jokesales.php  Pertinent line about 8 lines down the skit when asked about his position at the BBC his reply is: "BBC Man: Quite a lot yes, quite a lot. I'm mainly in comedy. I'd like to be in Programming Planning actually, but unfortunately I've got a degree. ".

(Somebody please laugh, you don't know how hard I had to squeeze my ancient brain to remember enough about that sketch to be able to find the relevant quote. sad  I'm quite tired now, I think I'll go lay down.)  indecision 

lol For what it's worth, you got a chuckle out of me. :)

• wiz said:
    dragotx said:
    Ivy said:

laugh Ha ha ha HA HAAA HAAA ha HAA ha HA ha ha ha....heh  (at the  skit, not at you needing a lie down).

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited September 2017

Several people have observed that this season is different. I think there are a couple of reasons. Firstly, no new villans or problems were unvealed. Bascially, this season picked up with the unresolved problems of last season. Clearly these conflicts are the over arching conflicts of the entire show. But now that we're into it it just doesnt seem as compelling as it might have.

The other issue is a simple numbers game. This show kills off all the wrong characters and at terrible times. At the start of the series there were 6 amnesiacs. Bascially six main characters plus the android made 7. There was at least ONE of the 7 that was comelling to you, that was your personal favorite to follow. By the time we reach season 3 we are down to only 4 of the original 6 and the android has almost become like a human. Killing off "1" as early as they did was very "thrones" of them, but in the end means we lost a very cool character. The stuff with Ashida Rio (4) leaving the group is also a big problem. It seemd as though they were going to correct the deficit with Nyx, but then they killed her off too, again, way too soon. 

Those characters had conflicts that were compelling. 1 had his alter ego thing going. Nyx and her psychic friends were a great side thread. The blink drive could have spun a series of its own, as it gave the crew almost god-like abilities for no apparent reason. I think in the end they just wrote the show in a way that wasn't sustainable long term. I think they needed to keep all six of the originals a bit longer. or even to have them get separated and then to find each other again after many challenges in between as has happened on The Walking Dead about a thousand times

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366

Several people have observed that this season is different. I think there are a couple of reasons. Firstly, no new villans or problems were unvealed. Bascially, this season picked up with the unresolved problems of last season. Clearly these conflicts are the over arching conflicts of the entire show. But now that we're into it it just doesnt seem as compelling as it might have.

The other issue is a simple numbers game. This show kills off all the wrong characters and at terrible times. At the start of the series there were 6 amnesiacs. Bascially six main characters plus the android made 7. There was at least ONE of the 7 that was comelling to you, that was your personal favorite to follow. By the time we reach season 3 we are down to only 4 of the original 6 and the android has almost become like a human. Killing off "1" as early as they did was very "thrones" of them, but in the end means we lost a very cool character. The stuff with Ashida Rio (4) leaving the group is also a big problem. It seemd as though they were going to correct the deficit with Nyx, but then they killed her off too, again, way too soon. 

Those characters had conflicts that were compelling. 1 had his alter ego thing going. Nyx and her psychic friends were a great side thread. The blink drive could have spun a series of its own, as it gave the crew almost god-like abilities for no apparent reason. I think in the end they just wrote the show in a way that wasn't sustainable long term. I think they needed to keep all six of the originals a bit longer. or even to have them get separated and then to find each other again after many challenges in between as has happened on The Walking Dead about a thousand times

Much of that is what I liked - they didn't stick to the old rules and messed things up a bit, you didn't expect it, at least I didn't.