How many of us are in the path of Hurricane Irma?

I live about 25 miles north of Miami, and 5 miles from the ocean.

It's not looking very good for Sunday. How many others are in the same boat?

Comments

• Yikes! Good luck and stay safe.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited September 2017

I've got one daughter in the Redlands and one daughter with my 4 grand kids in Miami Springs ,and I'm scared silly for them!! Then there's my parent in Dunnellon in Central Florida ......plus my friends in Cutler Ridge ........

oh and my daughter's husbands and their families .....

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited September 2017

Prepare!

I've moved to NY State so I'm no longer in the path but I lived in Melbourne, FL (central east coast Florida)  for several decades.  And according to latest predictions Irma is going right up the east coast.  I was there in 1979 Labor Day Weekend and went through the eye of "David", then in 2004 was hit by all four of the hurricanes that hit Florida that year (Charley, Francis, Ivan, Ivan(again), and Jeanne).  Tree on house, leaks, power out for several days, blue tarps for weeks, major tree removal process afterwards, four feet deep of palm fronds blown into the long double wide driveway.  Try putting that next to the curb for pickup!  Shingles and roofing nails all over the lawn.  Not fun.  And they were only category 1, 2, 3, and weak cat 4 hurricanes!  I have relatives on both coasts and in the middle so wherever Irma hits, someone I know will be affected. frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Well after living most of my life in south Florida and going through hurricanes, I just last year moved to NC , near my son ,but that still leaves people I care about down in the path .....

• carrie58 said:

Well after living most of my life in south Florida and going through hurricanes, I just last year moved to NC , near my son ,but that still leaves people I care about down in the path .....

Were you down there 25 years ago for hurricane Andrew? 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,124

I might be if it included the Carolinas.

• I'm about an hour north of Miami up the I95 corridor.  I think we are just a little more than 5 miles inland.  So far, they only seem to be evacuating the coastal zones. We aren't in an evacuation area as of yet.  Our area is usually where people West Palm Beach get evacuated to in our little area.  We will probably end up with the rain and high winds, but I don't think my part of town will see an evacuation order.  We just finished getting all of the storm shutters up today and we are stocked up with essentials to last out the storm.  We're bringing my container plants into the Florida room tomorrow morning as well as anything else that could potentially get moved by high winds.  We'll also be packing the cars up with what we would need for several days on the off chance we have to leave in a hurry with the cat and dogs.  I think we are as prepared as we can be with the information we have right now.

edited September 2017
    carrie58 said:

Were you down there 25 years ago for hurricane Andrew?

yup

• I hope all you in Florida are prepared for high winds and extended periods of power outages. This could be really bad and I wish you all the best. Above all stay safe. 

I might be if it included the Carolinas.

I'm on the NC Outer Banks and right now it looks like we may be spared, maybe just some wind and rain. But a shift to the East could still bring it over us.

carrie58 said:

What part of North Carolina? Large parts of North Carolina can still be subject to hurricanes  and flooding.

Lucama , I think I'm far enough inland that I should be okay ....

• artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165
    edited September 2017

"Were you down there 25 years ago for hurricane Andrew?"

Yes, I worked for a commercial real estate developer, We took over the management of a shopping center in

Cutler Ridge, totally destroyed, concrete light poles were bent. We were building a tilt wall warehouse, The building collapsed on the security guard who

stayed, luckilly he was not injured.

I'm not worried about storm surge, as I am on high ground, 12' above sea level. LOL

Post edited by artd3D on
    edited September 2017

Yeah I worked in a Nail Shop on Old Cutler Road in the Ridge , we lost power and had 1 broken window in the little shop ,and were back to work 3 weeks later ,using a generator .....it was kinda funny the women demanding to get theirs nails and pedicures done .

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

People are still assessing the damage of Harvey and here comes Irma ...and Jose ...and Katia. Irma being one of the strongest hurricanes ever recorded. Looks like Jose and Katia are following on Irma's heels. This is insane. 

edited September 2017

I totally agree Divamakeup I also think right now everybody in the path are prepareing rather then hanging out in the forums right now unless they've already pepared and now are just waiting

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    ...stay safe everyone and definitely heed notices to evacuate if issued. With 185 mph sustained winds and gusts most likely higher this is one storm not ro trifle with.
  • dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135

People are still assessing the damage of Harvey and here comes Irma ...and Jose ...and Katia. Irma being one of the strongest hurricanes ever recorded. Looks like Jose and Katia are following on Irma's heels. This is insane. 

From the news this evening Katia looks like it's going to stay in the southern part of the gulf and hit Mexico instead of coming up to houston and saying hello, thankfully.  It's also going to stay fairly weak.  Jose is too far out to tell right now, but since it's coming the same route Harvey and Irma did, it'll probably be another whopper  

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

Prayers and best wishes for all who might be in the path of this monster!!

Concerned for family and friends in Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina.

I was in Orlando for Donna, and in Baton Rouge for Andrew, Alison, Katrina, Rita, Gustav and Ike.  No fun.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,962

I have family in Texas AND Puerto Rico. Sheeesh.

They are all fine so far

• Fort Lauderdale here

• JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845

An hour and a half above Orlando. Was looking good, now its looking not so good, i wish it would make up its damn mind. . .

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited September 2017

@Knittingmommy I hope you guys are batting down the hatches, & Be safe.   . One of my best friends Caroline lives Sanford on lake Monreo in west Daytona , and they were told to bug out. because no one would be able to rescue them when the storm hits.   they packed the family and left this this afternoon and are heading to to our place.

I'm sure glad I live in a place thats high and dry in the NE TN mountains.  My house is  at2800 feet above sea level,  not many hurricans & floods get this far up. heck it takes 2 days for the mule to get here with the mail .lol j/k

Post edited by Ivy on

Be safe you guys. I'm praying for you.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321

Just outside of Savannah. I'm always prepared, so I have time for this forum.
    Package service failed to deliver a critical part for my generator, it's been
    sitting in the Savannah facility for a week now. Their computer says my
    address doesn't exist. (They've delivered here many times).

Wind forecast varies - at one point, Monday winds 50mph. An hour later,
    prediction Monday winds 99mph. An hour later, 64mph. I think they're
    Just throwing numbers out so whatever happens they can loudly claim
    "We were right!"

Bought another generator this morning. Because I did, part for old one will probably
    arrive tomorrow. That's the way things work.

I always have 40 gallons of distilled water and lots of easy-prep food on hand, and
    pre-cut window covers from five years ago. So, no panic.  Sitting on my neighbor's
    porch today, sipping iced tea, discussing the weather. No stress.
    Prepared.

• I am right in the path but it should be a bit calmer when it reaches me in Georiga.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,924

We are in Brevard County, near Melbourne (not on the barrier island). No mandatory evacuation for us. We are staying. Wish us luck.

• @Ivy  We are as prepared as possible.  Everything is battened down and we have plenty of food and water.  Lots of stuff we can eat even if we can't cook.  The cars will be packed in the morning in case we have to leave, but it's unlikely as we are kind of inland so not too close to the coast.  Where we are is where most of those on the coast get sent to during a hurricane.  We'll get a lot of the wind and rain, but none of the surges that the coast will get.   Predictions in my area is around 12 inches of rain over a 24 hour period and 75 mile an hour winds.  I'm still hoping some of the models are correct and it will turn and the eye will stay out to sea.  It's still pretty much up in the air as to which way she's actually going to head which is kind of nerve wracking.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I used to live in Jupiter, FL so have a lot of people I care about in the way.  And, I am possibly moving back next spring.  Might have to reconsider that move. 

Be prudent, everyone.  Stuff is expendable.  You, your loved ones, and pets are a much higher priority.

Diomede said:

I used to live in Jupiter, FL so have a lot of people I care about in the way.  And, I am possibly moving back next spring.  Might have to reconsider that move. 

Be prudent, everyone.  Stuff is expendable.  You, your loved ones, and pets are a much higher priority.

+1 Please please stay safe but don't forget the pets. Don't leave them tied up or in a doggy or cat crate. If flooding gets high they could easily drown. If you absolutely can't take your pets with you, do not leave them tied up or somewhere where they can't get higher up if flooding becomes bad. Too many stories coming out of Harvey of pets that died a painful, terrifying, and slow death of drowning because someone left them tied up or a crate. crying 

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Check in as soon as you all can afterwards to let us know you're safe.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Check in as soon as you all can afterwards to let us know you're safe.

+1. Prayers for everyone's safety!