How many of us are in the path of Hurricane Irma?

Comments

• Adding my prayers for those affected - stay safe everyone.

• Stay safe, everyone. Heed the call for evacuation if it comes. This is not the one you want to try and sit out. It seems people are getting crazy, so be careful.

• Everyone stay safe and remember that possessions can be replaced.  Your lives and those of your loved ones and pets cannot.  If you are told to evacuate please do so.   

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited September 2017
    barbult said:

We are in Brevard County, near Melbourne (not on the barrier island). No mandatory evacuation for us. We are staying. Wish us luck.

During one of the hurricanes of 2004 I noticed an Orlando TV broadcast that was obviously taken from the US1 bridge over the Eau Gallie river in north Melbourne (Eau Gallie area) .  It wasn't a very good shot of what was really happening.  I lived only a few hundred yards (perhaps a quarter mile as the crow flies) from there and knew of a much better vantage point to watch the surfable waves on the lagoon and the boats in the yacht harbor sinking.  We lived next to Ballard Park and the yacht basin at the Eau Gallie river outlet into the Indian River lagoon. So, figuring that the Orlando camera people were not familiar with the Melbourne area, I called up the studio and suggested that they relocate their van down in Ballard Park.  I also mentioned that there was a windowless concrete brick structure (nice public restroom) there that could be used as dry, safe shelter in case the storm got too bad.  A couple hours later, sure enough there on TV was the view out our back yard. laugh

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538

If you live in Florida evacuate.  This storm will make Andrew look like a sissy.  If you stay, you are not only putting yourself at risk, but the people who will need to rescue you.  Please, if you have the means, leave.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538

cone graphic

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,487
    edited September 2017

Do not run. Do not get on the highway and risk getting stuck. The roads are so bad out of florida, ppl are having to turn around or risk being stuck in a car in a hurricane.

Find a fortress... hunker down.

Best of Luck to everyone in the path,

A South Flordian for 38 yrs

Post edited by IgnisSerpentus on
  • Everyone stay safe, my prayers are with you all

• My son just flew down to spend the weekend with his wife in Clemson S. Carolina (actually about 15 minutes out of Clemson).  She just moved to do her PHD at Clemson University.  Probably not the weekend they had planned and he may not have a flight back on Mon or Tues either.  They are no where near the coast but high winds, lots of rain etc. are still going to be an issue if it hits them.  Prayers for all of your safety as well. I have friends in Melbourne, they are battened down and staying as well.  We visited several years ago, and its not far from the ocean.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

@Ivy  We are as prepared as possible.  Everything is battened down and we have plenty of food and water.  Lots of stuff we can eat even if we can't cook.  The cars will be packed in the morning in case we have to leave, but it's unlikely as we are kind of inland so not too close to the coast.  Where we are is where most of those on the coast get sent to during a hurricane.  We'll get a lot of the wind and rain, but none of the surges that the coast will get.   Predictions in my area is around 12 inches of rain over a 24 hour period and 75 mile an hour winds.  I'm still hoping some of the models are correct and it will turn and the eye will stay out to sea.  It's still pretty much up in the air as to which way she's actually going to head which is kind of nerve wracking.

Stay safe my friend...  and take lots of pictures .. we all here will be prayering for you & Novicia. I know you guys are down in its path and hope this one isn't as bad as andrew was

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

That map a few posts above projects a path right through Valdosta, Georgia.  I'm roughly 45 miles west in a place called Thomasville.

Sincerely,

Bill

• I live in Hialeah. But I'm not worried. Irma knows better than to come to our hood and mess around. Its way too ghetto.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited September 2017
    tkdrobert said:

If you live in Florida evacuate.  This storm will make Andrew look like a sissy.  If you stay, you are not only putting yourself at risk, but the people who will need to rescue you.  Please, if you have the means, leave.

Dude, you're not helping. Sometimes it's more dangerous to jam the roads and everyone gets stuck on the highway when the water and winds come in. The truth is, if you're not there and aren't in a position to evaluate traffic, the storm's position, elevation, etc, you shouldn't be making blanket statements and trying to panic and/or guilt people.

Please people, listen to your local authorities on what to do, not random people on the internet. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited September 2017

Pensacola, so no.

One tip- as I was in Ivan and Dennis (lucky me, 9 months apart, two Category 3's/borderline 4) that I've found most people don't think about-

Buy Woolite cold water detergent. (Edit- it's the hand washable Woolite.) If your power goes out, or even if you have a generator and don't want to or plan on running your washing machine- the Woolite does a WONDERFUL job of handwashing clothing. My entire neighborhood was buying it the second time around, because for Ivan, I loaned out bottles of it! The clothes smell good and are sparkling clean, and you do indeed just use regular water. (And we had huge tubs of water, just for that purpose.)  I know everyone thinks of "everything" but I have yet to see anyone mentioning this, and it was SO nice to have clean clothes week after week. We were without power 18 days after Ivan, but I had clean clothes that smelled great too!

And most of the time, it never goes off the shelves at Walmart during the frenzied buying, because people don't think about it! You should be able to go to the store and get it, even now.  Stay safe! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321
    edited September 2017

That map a few posts above projects a path right through Valdosta, Georgia.  I'm roughly 45 miles west in a place called Thomasville.

Sincerely,

Bill

-------------------------------------------------------

Hello, neighbor!
    Pembroke, GA here!
    Looks like we might be okay here.

Post edited by Petercat on

That curator of the Ernest Hemingway house IN THE KEYS is not thinking clearly. He's staying in the home with 10 staffers and the 50+ cats. Okay, so what if the house is made of stone blocks- the roof isn't! It's going to be a Category 5 again when that hits. They're not even going to tub all (or even SOME of)  the valuables that can't be replaced. He said he'd take pictures of it for insurance purposes. And he's the curator??? The story is currently on CNN if you want to see it.

Novica said:

That curator of the Ernest Hemingway house IN THE KEYS is not thinking clearly. He's staying in the home with 10 staffers and the 50+ cats. Okay, so what if the house is made of stone blocks- the roof isn't! It's going to be a Category 5 again when that hits. They're not even going to tub all (or even SOME of)  the valuables that can't be replaced. He said he'd take pictures of it for insurance purposes. And he's the curator??? The story is currently on CNN if you want to see it.

If he wished to risk death or serious injury, that's his choice.
    But what choice did the ten staffers have? "Stay or be fired"?
    Did the 50 cats get a choice? (I'll bet they would have voted "Meow way!")

Just talking to my sister in Jacksonville, she's been to that house. We did a Google map search while on the phone. That house is only about 5 blocks from the beach. And as she said, winds are one thing- water is another. That is supposed to get a minimum TEN FOOT wall of storm surge. A couple feet away from the ceiling of many one story homes. Those 6 toed cats (descendents of Ernest's cat) could easily drown as will the people, as the ocean may be churning and barreling through within minutes. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,924
    barbult said:

We are in Brevard County, near Melbourne (not on the barrier island). No mandatory evacuation for us. We are staying. Wish us luck.

During one of the hurricanes of 2004 I noticed an Orlando TV broadcast that was obviously taken from the US1 bridge over the Eau Gallie river in north Melbourne (Eau Gallie area) .  It wasn't a very good shot of what was really happening.  I lived only a few hundred yards (perhaps a quarter mile as the crow flies) from there and knew of a much better vantage point to watch the surfable waves on the lagoon and the boats in the yacht harbor sinking.  We lived next to Ballard Park and the yacht basin at the Eau Gallie river outlet into the Indian River lagoon. So, figuring that the Orlando camera people were not familiar with the Melbourne area, I called up the studio and suggested that they relocate their van down in Ballard Park.  I also mentioned that there was a windowless concrete brick structure (nice public restroom) there that could be used as dry, safe shelter in case the storm got too bad.  A couple hours later, sure enough there on TV was the view out our back yard. laugh

That year Frances dropped a tree on our roof. When Jeanne came along we were scared and evacuated to Tampa. Jeanne changed course and went straight to Tampa. Our hotel lost power and we had a heck of a time getting home the next day because of flooding and debris on the roads. We have never evacuated since that experience. If they ever declared our area a mandatory evacuation area, we probably would, but that hasn't happened, luckily.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,450
    edited September 2017
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

That year Frances dropped a tree on our roof. When Jeanne came along we were scared and evacuated to Tampa. Jeanne changed course and went straight to Tampa. Our hotel lost power and we had a heck of a time getting home the next day because of flooding and debris on the roads. We have never evacuated since that experience. If they ever declared our area a mandatory evacuation area, we probably would, but that hasn't happened, luckily.

For the first couple of hurricanes of 2004 I wasn't alone in the house in Melbourne, there were around 4 or 5 people there.  We were not worried because the house is on high ground (despite being next to the western shore of the lagoon) and the storms weren't expected to be too big.  Yeah, we had some water leakage under the doors and around the windows and into the garage and the cellar (having a "cellar" is unusual for Florida) drain backed up so that there was an inch of so of water down there and there was palm debris but we rode out the storm OK.  During the height of Francis we were all running around with big bath towels soaking up water and wringing them out in a bathtub, but we generally had an adventure without true danger.   However, for Jeanne, the others in the house had fled to the west coast Florida relatives.  I volunteered to stay in Melbourne and bunker down, come what may.  The first night I slept in the bedroom in the cellar and was woken up in the dark by a big thump.  When I made my way upstairs (having had to wade through the inch or two of water in the basement) I found a tree (a BIG live oak, not a palm) laying on the living room roof and it was raining through the ceiling in several places in there.  I used a push broom to sweep the water out of the living room periodically.  Power was out for three or four days and I was alone.  I could have walked places but I stayed there cleaning up as best I could until the rest of the family came back. During my three days alone there was no TV, I had a small battery radio, the aluminum frame windows didn't open (been corroded closed decades ago) and there was, of course, no air-conditioning.  Can you say "muggy and miserable"?  I would have been better off in an old fashioned Florida home that was designed for air flow instead of a modern ('50s) split-level ranch style home with sealed windows.  Yeah, it could have been worse, and was for many but this was no fun either.indecision  What was worse was that during the first couple of storms we'd paniced and had an "Ice cream party" the moment the electricity went out, so there wasn't any left. sad

Then began the weeks long process of picking up pieces of roofing shingles and nails from the yard, raking and disposing of the vegetation debris, getting tree contractors to come in and chop up that big tree, waiting for roofing contractors... all great fun. frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Old hurricane stories aside, this one is shaping up badly for my west coast Florida relatives.  I have some in Naples (near the bottom west coast), I have some in Ft. Myers, and I have some in Tampa.  All now in the crosshairs of Irma.  My Naples relatives live only a couple blocks from the beach and with the predicted 10 or 12 foot storm surge, their entire first floor could be underwater if the house survives.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,924

Old hurricane stories aside, this one is shaping up badly for my west coast Florida relatives.  I have some in Naples (near the bottom west coast), I have some in Ft. Myers, and I have some in Tampa.  All now in the crosshairs of Irma.  My Naples relatives live only a couple blocks from the beach and with the predicted 10 or 12 foot storm surge, their entire first floor could be underwater if the house survives.

It's looking better for our area, but you are right, the west coast looks like they are in trouble with the recent forecasts. I'm glad we didn't evacuate to Tampa again!!!!!

• My stepson evacuated from Jacksonville yesterday. First time in over 30 years there. Two brothers and family are in different, sturdy houses inland from Tampa. Watched the potential storm track move west all day yesterday. Cocerned, but they know conditions on the ground better than I do.Older brother moved there from a trailer near Orlando. Probably a good idea. As for the Hemmingway Museum. Having seen pictures of the '35 hurricane, I can only agree with Forest Gump on stupidity. Hope it turns out all right for them, anyway. I don't wish ill on anyone.

• We are in South Florida so we will get the outerbands.  I'm concerned about the west coast...they never expected this to come their way.  Prayers for all.  Stay safe

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

My prayers to everyone in this monsters path .......

• I'm in North Georgia, and it looks like even we will be under the gun on Monday.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    Petercat said:
    Novica said:

If he wished to risk death or serious injury, that's his choice.
    But what choice did the ten staffers have? "Stay or be fired"?
    Did the 50 cats get a choice? (I'll bet they would have voted "Meow way!")

...sounds a bit like Harry Truman (no relation to the former president) owner of the Spirit Lake Lodge across the lake from Mt St Helen's who refused to evacuate before the 1980 eruption.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937

...take care all who are in the affected area. 

Even though it was weakened after skirting Cuba it is still a very dangerous storm particularly since it is moving so slowly (about 6 MPH).

• CricketCricket Posts: 440

West Palm Beach. The worst part is, while my wife is at our house with her parents, I've been stuck at work since Friday and will be here until at least Monday.

Just checked the local forecast.
    Says the highest winds will be 37mph at 10:00am.
    But it says we're having 25mph right now.
    Just came back in. Very light breeze.
    Where are they predicting for?
    I'm sure we won't even lose electricity.
    After all, I just bought a $1000.00 inverter generator.
    Ready to go, cords laid out, lots of fuel on hand...
    So of course we won't lose power.