Ron's Brushes (are great).

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    avxp said:

If we all did a dollar a month, it wouldn't cost anything (as we're all trading the same dollar)  but it would add subscibers to your roster.

Even though it kinda sounds like cheating in a way, there's no rules against it and I think it's a very good idea :)

I signed up for a Paetron account but haven't set the page up yet because I'm still working on my first comic. (Things are still a bit hectic at home and haven't settled down yet from my job change. Once that happens I hope to have more time to work on it)

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited September 2017
    avxp said:

I made these following along with two of the tutorials in the lighting bundle, Dark Forest and Day to Night at Bag End. I used Ron's brushes in both of them. 

https://www.patreon.com/llynara

Llynara ---     She also has  a Patreon account that's worth supporting. Also, for all of us on Patreon, we should do the minimal and all subcscribe to each other's accounts.

https://www.patreon.com/llynara

If we all did a dollar a month, it wouldn't cost anything (as we're all trading the same dollar)  but it would add subscibers to your roster.

Vendors should also have a Patreon to and do little things-  like small products that aren't worth selling, but add value to their fan-base.

You do a set, make an extra texture set for Patreon..

Make something..add a few poses...

Nothing time-consuming, but you could even do it with insights....early info...etc....

Thanks, avxp. I think I'm signed up for yours but I'll double check. I totally redid my offerings to keep it simpler as I get a hold on this whole being at home thing. So far, I'm loving it! 

I'm happy to support others on Patreon too. I don't think it's cheating, just paying it forward. What's the saying? "We rise by lifting others."

Note: the tutorials I mention above are the Shift Art ones, and they are fantastic. I'm just starting to create my own as I learn stuff and pass it on.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited September 2017

The only set I don't own is his new Flying Dirt & Debris.  I'll be getting it mid-month.  :)  I use Ron's brushes all the time.  Absolutely love them.  I have an Evernote entry where I have the Brush Set name and image so I know what I have.  :)  I also just grabbed BrushBox.  Looks fantastic so far in organizing!   As far as Patreon - I never go there.  Rarely remember it even exists until I see someone asking for $upport.

Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

I am a bit surprised at the notion Patreon is cheating.

Is this a 'all things must Capitalism' thing?

• avxp said:

Even though it kinda sounds like cheating in a way, there's no rules against it and I think it's a very good idea :)

fyi people tend to pick up on this kind of mass subscription trading and they WILL make fun of you if you get big enough. I'm not saying it's a bad idea though. smiley

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I am a bit surprised at the notion Patreon is cheating.

Not Patreon itself, but the "I'll sub to you if you sub to me" thing. But in today's online market, you pretty much have to do everything you can to get a big following or else you'll stay in obscurity.

• I am a bit surprised at the notion Patreon is cheating.

Patreon is distilled, condensed, purified capitalism. cheeky

• Great tips on improving my fog picture, thanks. I'm going to come back to them when I figure out what to put in as a focal point. 

I have a Patreon and support a few others. Mine was originally for my fiction as a way of letting my big Kickstarter backers keep supporting me. I haven't been doing much fiction lately (because kids) but that's changing this month and meanwhile people have been patient with getting high resolution artwork instead... 

Oooh, Patreon trading. Ok. 

edited September 2017

Throughout history, artists had patrons that enabled them to continue pursuing their art full time. Patreon is an attempt at the modern equivalent. If you think about it, when we work outside the home to support our art (or have an S/O that does), we're kind of our own patrons. Getting to the point where we can support ourselves with our art is a wonderful goal, and I do see people realizing that dream in the writing community. I'm trying to learn how to do it in the art community as well, as I do both. I think Patreon is a great tool for that. Some people are able to make it work for them.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148
    edited September 2017

A lot of people make tutorial vids on youtube and then add "if you want to learn more (or get freebies or psd files), here is my patreon account."  I think that is a great idea and gives the artist or teacher/artist a wider audience.  One key to having a successful youtube and/or patreon account is consistently putting new stuff out there.  

Post edited by Worlds_Edge on
  • The aspect I absorb is, you are not BUYING MY ART or a product or an EXTRA thing --->  you are supporting ME -  and that gives you my art for free.

Or at least keeps it free to enjoy, in a way.

There's a huge difference. Some people look at the Patreon system and say  "Oh begging on Patreon".

No, absolutely not. My works are FREE on my main site. And if you want to OWN them or plug them into your favorite device, you can BUY them.

Buying a comic/work is a means of showing support in and of itself.

Patreon is for those who are like "Keep going, make more" it's the a way bigger statement...

I don't believe in the digital-means-free-universe.

Pirates will pirate and that's fine....

Sharing illegally as  a means of promotion...I get it..lol

But I uploaded an image on instagram of the $20 bucks somebody gave me when they started reading my comics.

People dig what you do...and I find a lot of people believe in me- more than my art. Hello Patreon.

-----------------------

People get nervous. Nobody wants to go first and no one trusts their own judgment enough to go out on a limb.

I had someone say to me, once. I dig your stuff, but I won't support until you do a whole bunch of issues because I don't want to get invested in something that's not going to be around.

They said they read a lot of comics that only have a couple of issues and then they disappear.

So I said Maybe if you got involved NOW and supported early, it'd have a higher chance of sticking around.

----------------------------

I have a pool of creative friends that support each other. Whenever anyone does something, we always buy it immediately and write a glowing customer review or rating.

People are comfortable standing in a certain type of line.

Long enough so they know it's worth standing in and short enough that they get what they want quickly.

--------------

But back to Ron's Brushes....

Ron or Deviney is extremely approachable....and HE should do a Patreon. His percs would be EASY to create. He could also combine with his promo art guys and have those as freebies AND have them do PDF tutorials..

A few FREE brushes every week and when it builds enough- slap them in a Daz new product.....win, win, win.

There is ALWAYS a demand for new brushes- even the SAME categories, it's just that artists get tired of opening the same product over an over again. Keep it fresh. lol

--------------------

I have communicated with Ron before and I can vouch he is truly a caring artist who takes his work seriously. (like if my opinion really matters lol)

And he gave me a wicked quote for my press kit, on my homepage...

I hope you all the success. Love your book! Ill think of [it] every time I make a new brush set.

-Ron Deviney (Graphic Artist and Post work tools creator)

lots of vendors have supported my books..

I really liked your panel work too. Interesting storytelling style. The art has crisp details and the plot moved forward very well. A lot of work went into this and it shows.

-FirstBastion ( 3D Designer, numerous set design products used)

-

This is really a community effort and we should be an army.

Do people have any evidence asking for PayPal donations will work better or worse than Patreon?

My sharecg stuff has a donate link that's been wildly unsuccessful, but that might be a lack of volume

• The thing about Patreon is it can happen on a subscription basis. So maybe someone sends you a dollar through Paypal, or maybe they send you a dollar a month through Patreon.

Really, you are going to need to heavily market yourself either way.

edited September 2017

Good points and I would be the first in line if Ron did a Patreon or had some kind of tutorial on the brushes. They are awesome and the promos show lots of ways to use them, but it does take a while in some cases to figure out HOW to use them best. Regardless, I will continue to buy them because they are quality products.

• Really, you are going to need to heavily market yourself either way.

Yes! BUT! You want your supporters to market you. My friend said they had crazy bills and kid-stuff and they couldn't even do a dollar a month.

I said Okay, please, please then- give the link to ONE PERSON. Please, get one other person to check out my stuff.

They have a girlfriend, a husband, a nephew..somebody at work who just mentioned The Avengers or Justice League or Wonder Woman....

You must know a nerd or a geek. lol

And then they always go "Oh yeah, [insert name] might dig this.."

Okay. Let's go.

-------

And not EVERYONE is down. And that's okay too. I've seen people say "OMG on Facebook, new issue is out and it's great!" and then when I call them for feedback and opinions, they admit they haven't read it yet. lol

One of my art teacher's told me (best advice ever) If you don't take your art seriously, no one else ever will.

So I now say "If the artist doesn't care, who else should?"

• I'd redistribute one of my Patreon bucks to Will every month. And to Ron. And to a couple of artists who mostly do freebies. Less so to the big environment vendors I love just because I'm also supporting them by buying products. 

Thing about Patreon is that you might only end up with $10 a month or so. But it's probably $10 more a month than you were getting before and it's from people who want nothing other than to support you and maybe get a first look at what you do.  That's really the advantage of small Patreons: the patrons aren't in it for the rewards. Bigger ones, you gotta start caring about that a bit more. 

And yes: as long as you don't go into it expecting to make more than PC+ change for a while, it works a lot better than a paypal link. 

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Do people have any evidence asking for PayPal donations will work better or worse than Patreon?

My sharecg stuff has a donate link that's been wildly unsuccessful, but that might be a lack of volume

So...I love PayPal a WHOLE lot.  But I've seen this question a few times lately in various communities I'm in, and I have to explain...  PayPal is for getting money to someone.  It's a transport mechanism.

Patreon, GoFundMe, Kickstarter, and others like them, are about giving the tools to build something larger...a community.

If someone privately sends you $10 on PayPal, you've made $10.  If someone publicly supports you on Patreon for $2, you've made $2/month for as long as they continue to feel that you're building cool stuff but you've ALSO gained Social Proof.  Social Proof has a lot of aspects, but one of them is the simple idea that folks don't want to do the hard work of determining if something is good/right/useful/etc., and they look for signs that someone else has done the work.  Making donations a public thing, and encouraging community interaction in general, helps with this.

The social payment systems also provide easy ways for folks to share their interest and discovery of your work to their network of friends.  Again, as a payment handler this isn't something PayPal is built to do.  As someone who's been receiving donations (for an open source package I release) on PayPal since 2000, they are WONDERFUL, and there was a year where around half my mortgage payments came from them, but they are not a social proof provider, nor are they a sharing mechanism, and very definitely not a community building tool.

Now...you can't create a Patreon, and just...expect it to magically bring you money, while you go about your daily life doing other things.  You need to cultivate it, and you need to regularly update, and you need to be...creating.  And creating things in small bites that folks can enjoy.  And it needs to not matter a huge amount if you have $10/mo. coming in total, or $20,000/mo., you'd still be creating, and doing so regularly.  Also, Sell Your Byproducts.  Are you modeling things?  Include a tier which screen records (voice over not required!) gets to see your process of creation.  That's just an example, but if you really think about all the byproducts you do in the process of creating, it ends up being a lot.

And I've veered off into suggestion territory.  Anyway, the point is that PayPal is a transport mechanism; Patreon and others like it are social-proof generators and community builders.

--  Morgan

Yeah, I might try Patreon once I get a few more freebies done. I have lots of ideas, and I find the social element very appealing. Thanks, Cypher.

I mean, heck, one of my disappointments so far with the donation thing is that it feels like what I've done has low visibility, and getting people to actually PLAY with my stuff matters more to me than the money. (Though it'd be nice to make enough to defray monthly costs)

• I've got quite a lot of Ron's Brushes now, though not as much as some of you.

I used to be scared of this mysterious 'postwork', but a Dreamlight tut on using layers and Ron's brushes cured me of that.

Here are an older one with rain, and a newer one with smoke+light (pre and post versions)

Wow, the before and after is amazing! Excellent illustration on the power of these brushes! Nicely done!

Thanks smiley

• DireBunny said:

Me, I'm the exact opposite. I was A "Cheater" straight from my first render on lol. Set up the render just to spend 12 hours on it in post, but thats why i like this (medium?) Everybody has there own way to do things, and no one's wrong on how they approach it. Sometimes a little passinate on thier process they like? sure but arn't we all to a point.

on FB i even end up sometimes posting the orginal render with the postworked one for a laugh.

A couple of my example and even a before and after (though i don't usualy do those in public I already hate my finished stuff but the before's are pretty bad)

Your work is gorgeous!  And it doesn't really matter how we get there in the end, as long as we get there lol.

Any time I see someone disparaging post work I think they don't really understand art.

• I hope no one thought I was saying postwork was cheating when I said I didn't do any the first year of learning studio. I don't think its cheating at all and I really love doing postwork.  I did feel that if I started doing postwork before I had a good working knowledge of the program, I would be cheating myself out of the opportunity to really learn the program well. Knowing myself well enough by now, I knew if I started doing post work before a certain point I was going to just get lazy and not learn the basics that I needed to learn to really make the most out of this tool.  But that's just me and the fact that I know what I'm like lol.

Patreon is great but if I supported everyone I wanted to, I would need a second job lol. I do, however, do my best to promote people as often as I can.

Ice: oh, not you, it's just something I've seen from time to time

• I hope no one thought I was saying postwork was cheating when I said I didn't do any the first year of learning studio. I don't think its cheating at all and I really love doing postwork.  I did feel that if I started doing postwork before I had a good working knowledge of the program, I would be cheating myself out of the opportunity to really learn the program well. Knowing myself well enough by now, I knew if I started doing post work before a certain point I was going to just get lazy and not learn the basics that I needed to learn to really make the most out of this tool.  But that's just me and the fact that I know what I'm like lol.

Patreon is great but if I supported everyone I wanted to, I would need a second job lol. I do, however, do my best to promote people as often as I can.

Nope, didn't think you were saying it was cheating either :) And also thanks :D  I do think I have gotten a little better at least over the last few months since getting Manga studio and useing that over Gimp, plus a new drawing tablet helped too lol. I still use Gimp  a little bit now though just for the brushes since i don't think they work in manga studio.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I didn't think you were saying postwork was cheating, and I like to stretch DS to see what it (and I!) can do without resorting to postwork too. I even think postwork makes more sense sometimes, even if it's possible to do something in DS. Stuff like flames, smoke and even fog can often be done more efficiently with a quick bit of brushwork.

Even the best of master craftsmen can't do it all with one tool. Top chefs don't angst about starting a dish on the stovetop and then having to finish it off in the oven. What's adding a garnish, anyway, if it's not postworking a dish to give it extra colour and visual appeal?

edited September 2017

I agree. I'm finding it's far easier to do bloom in postwork than to wait forever to render with bloom on. And definitely the same with fog and anything else that is memory intensive. Ron's brushes to the rescue!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited September 2017

I have never seen 3D water that looked real.  It is getting better, but it still looks like clear plastic.  Ron's for water!

Before

After

Emergence 2500x2000 Solo 63pct.jpg
    1575 x 1260 - 2M
    Emergence 2500x2000 Postwork 62 pct.jpg
    1550 x 1240 - 2M
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • Love the befores and afters!

• Great render. Love the before and afters...they show so much AND it wouldn't be a bad idea if some of Ron's Promo work also showed before and afters.

I like a balance too, though....

You want the real (as weird as that reads) water to catch reflections and such and then on top, add the brush work(s).