Ron's Brushes (are great).

124»

Comments

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited September 2017

I found an old picture in my 2013 folder. it's just ron's birds brush and the gradient fill tool

oh and lens flare because why not

blue sky with birdsjpg.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 219K
    Post edited by DireBunny on
  • That looks real @direbunny

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited September 2017

I made "B-Boy" using Ron's Ink and Ron's Wisps. 

I work in stages so there's five images which in a nutshell show how this image was made. I tend to experiment so sometimes my outcome changes from my original plan. 

01  Raw render of B-boy character 

02  Render + Ron's Ink + Ron's Wisps postwork done in Photoshop

03  Cropped Image  with some additional postwork done in Photoshop including a little hair work done with the brush tool.

04  Image filtered in ON1 Photo RAW 2017

05  Final Image which includes yet more postwork done in Photoshop including use of the Liquify filter.

The sad thing is looking at this again I could still see a couple of things I'd change. LOL. 

01 B Boy render.jpg
    987 x 1327 - 294K
    02 B Boy Brushes Pre filter.jpg
    1260 x 1461 - 1M
    03 B boy Ready for ON1.jpg
    987 x 1327 - 1M
    04 post ON1.jpg
    987 x 1327 - 2M
    05 B Boy final w Liquify.jpg
    987 x 1327 - 2M
    Post edited by Pixel8ted on
  • Here's one where I kind of went crazy with Ron's brushes (used Dead Tech, Cyborg Circuitry and Optical Scifi Flares) for one of the Carrara Forum Challenges.

Here the render straight out of Carrara (I actually used some of Ron's brushes to create some of the textures in the scene pre-render too):

Here's the post-worked version:

• Thank you for showing pics of the different stages of your work flow @Pixel8ted  That is very helpful and almost like a mini tutorial.

• Pixel8ted said:

I made "B-Boy" using Ron's Ink and Ron's Wisps. 

I work in stages so there's five images which in a nutshell show how this image was made. I tend to experiment so sometimes my outcome changes from my original plan. 

01  Raw render of B-boy character 

02  Render + Ron's Ink + Ron's Wisps postwork done in Photoshop

03  Cropped Image  with some additional postwork done in Photoshop including a little hair work done with the brush tool.

04  Image filtered in ON1 Photo RAW 2017

05  Final Image which includes yet more postwork done in Photoshop including use of the Liquify filter.

The sad thing is looking at this again I could still see a couple of things I'd change. LOL. 

Great work!  Love that image. :)

• I love before and after pictures.  Its amazing what can be done even with a minimal amount of postwork.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,540

I've been tempted to buy Ron's brushes, but I'm afraid I won't be able to use them well.  I use PhotoShop but I'm no expert.  I'm spoiled by Manga Studio (aka: Clip Paint Studio), becuase they have brushes with the effect and color built in.  All you have to do is point and paint and boom, water bubbles, fire, broken glass, splashes.  However, they are good for comics not for photo-realistic renders, which I would want Ron't brushes for.  Of course, I could buy them and experiement, but there is so much in the store that I want to buy and I have to prioritize from month to month.  I try to buy things I know I will get a lot of use out of.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited September 2017

Before and after, using Frost and Steam and provoked into experimentation by Shift Art.

North.jpg
    1986 x 2160 - 4M
    North post crop.jpg
    1986 x 2160 - 3M
    Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • tkdrobert said:

I've been tempted to buy Ron's brushes, but I'm afraid I won't be able to use them well.  I use PhotoShop but I'm no expert.  I'm spoiled by Manga Studio (aka: Clip Paint Studio), becuase they have brushes with the effect and color built in.  All you have to do is point and paint and boom, water bubbles, fire, broken glass, splashes.  However, they are good for comics not for photo-realistic renders, which I would want Ron't brushes for.  Of course, I could buy them and experiement, but there is so much in the store that I want to buy and I have to prioritize from month to month.  I try to buy things I know I will get a lot of use out of.

Things like the smoke and clearwater / rain can be pretty much 'pick brush, pick grey-ish colour, stamp brush' - it just helps to fine-tune if you use them on a separate layer - then you can reduce opacity and/or change colour later.  Other brush sets come with psd layers with the colours already in (like the blood set) so you simply resize, rotate and position.

• I have lots of them also, and I don't even have Photoshop ;) have to convert the brushes to Clip Studio Paint first (the PSD's work fine), slime, grunge, dust & lint are the ones I use most of the time.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    DireBunny said:

I found an old picture in my 2013 folder. it's just ron's birds brush and the gradient fill tool

oh and lens flare because why not

I like that! It's really cool to see everyone's before and afters too. The brushes make a huge difference.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited September 2017

I think I used every ron's water set i have on this one. From water wings, to rain, to everything in between lol EDIT: btw i was just thinking, i have never used water wings for actual wings, i have used them as various splashing effects lol, and this one is no exception. (still didn't use them as wings)

Post edited by DireBunny on
  • Oooh nice!

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,421

OK, using birds and fog is not exactly a HUGE brush use, but I did use them!

Wonderful pic. I love it!

• Before and after.  I used Ron's Fog brushes, his Ripped Fabric brushes and the blood drips etc are from his water brushes or possibly another set (I don't usually pay close attention to which set because I have my brushes organized by type (i.e water, liquid etc in one set, light effect in another, fog, steam and clouds in another) and I do have other brush sets mixed in.  But the three I listed I know for sure are his.

• Before and after.  I used Ron's Fog brushes, his Ripped Fabric brushes and the blood drips etc are from his water brushes or possibly another set (I don't usually pay close attention to which set because I have my brushes organized by type (i.e water, liquid etc in one set, light effect in another, fog, steam and clouds in another) and I do have other brush sets mixed in.  But the three I listed I know for sure are his.

Awesome, though my money is on the troll winning, he looks like he's walk away from some pretty serious battles lol. Love the blood work on the axe.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

Here's one I did with a bunch of different brushes.

And the breakdown...

• DireBunny said:

Before and after.  I used Ron's Fog brushes, his Ripped Fabric brushes and the blood drips etc are from his water brushes or possibly another set (I don't usually pay close attention to which set because I have my brushes organized by type (i.e water, liquid etc in one set, light effect in another, fog, steam and clouds in another) and I do have other brush sets mixed in.  But the three I listed I know for sure are his.

Awesome, though my money is on the troll winning, he looks like he's walk away from some pretty serious battles lol. Love the blood work on the axe.

Thank you! 

DzFire said:

Here's one I did with a bunch of different brushes.

And the breakdown...

This was very cool!

• Here's one I did with a bunch of different brushes.
    DzFire said:

And the breakdown...

This was very cool!

^yeah that - love the different stages as you scroll down yes

• The big learning moment is using the light orbs to cast a proper light to simulate the muzzle flash in the original render.

• I almost ALWAYS use Ron's brushes, though I'm far from having them all. I've used them since the beginning. Here's a couple examples, one is an OLD 3delight Godzilla render, and the other is from a few months or so ago.

godzilla_has_dinner_by_thereal9thdoctor-d4ud66e.jpg
    900 x 540 - 109K
    military vs Godzilla.jpg
    1856 x 900 - 657K
  • Ron's Concrete is in FastGrab right now - just DL'd it - for some reason I thought it'd be harder to work with than some other brushes, but no - it's easy and looks fantastic yes

Gonna use it to make a wall-texture...but can't render til my new graphics card gets bought+arrives.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,184

Do these brushes work with the CC version of Photoshop?

• I say Yes, CC is the more recent version of PS. CS is the older.

So older will work with newer.

The NEWEST brushes for CC do not load in older CS versions.

As I ahve read, the size (Larger for the newer brushes) is the issue.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Do these brushes work with the CC version of Photoshop?

Yes they work perfectly in CC.

I almost ALWAYS use Ron's brushes, though I'm far from having them all. I've used them since the beginning. Here's a couple examples, one is an OLD 3delight Godzilla render, and the other is from a few months or so ago.

Wow, love them both but that second one, how on earth did you get all of that in that render!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited November 2017

I've never had a problem with Ron's Brushes in Photoshop CC. 

This is a composite image, and all the brushes are Ron's.

Ghost Fleet Signature 900x750.jpg
    900 x 750 - 573K
    Post edited by dracorn on