Upgrade from Titan Black for IRAY renders?

What would be a good card if I was looking to upgrade from a Titan Black for my Iray renders? It feels like I'm a bit behind the curve and my renders can take longer than I'd really like. (From 30 minutes to 1.5 hours)

I don't want to spend $2k but am hoping something in the $1k or less range would work?

Comments

• GatorGator Posts: 1,286
    edited October 2017

IMO, best bang for the buck will be the GTX 1080 Ti.  If you're not afraid of water cooling, I really like the EVGA Hybrid cards I got, they go at 1900+ MHz and only get to about 50 deg. C.  They are only 1 GB short of the Titan X Pascal (not Titan XP) and just a little bit faster.

If you're not a novice at watercooling, you can also get 1080 Tis out of the box with water blocks.

Post edited by Gator on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

A GTX 1070 costs about $430 right now. 

A GTX 1080ti costs about $750 right now. 

The GTX 1080ti will give you about a 30-40% improvement in rendering times compared to the 1070, at a cost difference of $320. 

Is that worth it to you? 

And I disagree about water cooling. You don't need it unless you're overclocking. 

• ebergerly said:

The GTX 1080ti will give you about a 30-40% improvement in rendering times compared to the 1070, at a cost difference of $320. 

Is that worth it to you? 

And I disagree about water cooling. You don't need it unless you're overclocking. 

Nice to know, thank you! And will both of these beat the Titan Black by a fairly substantial margin?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

The Geforce GTX TITAN Black is based on the old Kepler achitecture from 2012.
    The GTX 1070 will be a decent upgrade.  2 extra GB of VRAM and somewhat faster render times.
    The GTX 1080 Ti will be an amazing upgrade.  5 extra GB of VRAM and you should expect your "30 minutes to 1.5 hours" renders to be at most 15 - 45 min renders.

• JamesJAB said:

The GTX 1070 will be a decent upgrade.  2 extra GB of VRAM and somewhat faster render times.
    The GTX 1080 Ti will be an amazing upgrade.  5 extra GB of VRAM and you should expect your "30 minutes to 1.5 hours" renders to be at most 15 - 45 min renders.

Nice! I suspect some of my long render times are other factors such as I tend to do 10-15 renders in a row and I just now learned that that can cause stuff to get "stuck in memory". Also, I heard something about setting the viewport to Iray will help speed up renders as well. Anyway, thanks for this. Any input on which of the 1080ti cards is good? I've been hearing good things about the EVGA cards?

JamesJAB said:

Nice! I suspect some of my long render times are other factors such as I tend to do 10-15 renders in a row and I just now learned that that can cause stuff to get "stuck in memory". Also, I heard something about setting the viewport to Iray will help speed up renders as well. Anyway, thanks for this. Any input on which of the 1080ti cards is good? I've been hearing good things about the EVGA cards?

EVGA makes good cards and has a great warranty.  I used their warranty once, the RMA was a easy & painless process and they didn't make the card I had anymore.  I got a free minor upgrade to boot.  I hear others say the same that their warranty is good, they have been my go-to for a while.

ebergerly said:

Is that worth it to you? 

All depends on what you want...  Air cooling will never match water cooling.  If you want the most out of your card, then water cooling is the way to go.  Also great for dual card setups.  They generate so much heat, I couldn't get near max boost clock speeds with two cards.  I think with all my SLI setups on air, the top card would only run base clock and still be running 83-84 C, right at the max temp.

Latest cards are 1080 Ti, the two run at 1900 some MHz and about 50C.  The Titan X Pascals I have upgraded to water cooling went from 1400 some MHz and 1500 some MHz to both running 1800 some MHz, and only in the 40's C for temp.

Other benefit is that I can render and they don't sound like jet engines.  laugh

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited October 2017

84? Damn, my 1070 or 960 never got nearly that hot with just air cooling. For a few days now, been running tests with both in at once now that I got a new power supply I trust can handle both, the top card hasn't even hit 70 yet so far. 68 is the max peak, mostly they hang around 60-64 though(when in use for rendering/gaming, not idle).

Post edited by TheKD on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I customized the fan profile on my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti to kick the fan to a higher speed earlier, and never go into silent passive mode.
    Mine idles around 33c and never passes 75c at full load.
    (And that's with my old GTX 1060 in the slot bellow it generating heat and blocking air flow)

Keep in mind that the GTX 1070 is only a 150w card and your GTX 960 a 120w.
    The GTX 1080 Ti is a 250w card (Or higher if it is factory overclocked)