4.10 Export problem

2»

Comments

• halvir said:

Funny I got an email acknowledging my ticket but the link given to me is invalid.  http://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/requests/255018

When I look under my name in the helpdesk I see nothing about the ticket I submitted.  

I have the same problem. There should also be a ticket number in the email that's clickable and takes you to the proper place. What I've experienced so far is that it took two and a half hours to receive an automated acknowledgement the ticket had been placed, and I haven't heard anything else a day and a half later. They say they aim to answer questions within two working days, so hopefully later on today... I wonder if they've been inundated since 4.10 came out. This is a pretty serious problem for many users.

Yeah, I finally got the link.

• I've got the same issue taking OBJ files from Daz Studio to Cinema 4D, it worked perfectly with 4.9 but is completely messed up since I updated to 4.10.

Reading the above, am I right in thinking that the problem occurs when material groups on different figures have the same name? I hadn't considered that but thinking about it, it makes sense, the first figure always seems load with all the materials correct and wardrobe items which are not duplicated are okay but additional figures in the scene are wrecked.

I was thinking of trying to get back to 4.9 by rolling back the update with Windows System Restore but in light of what I've learned here I will try exporting each figure individually and see if that succeeds as a work-around util Daz are able to address the issue.

Good to know. As a Cinema 4D user, I will stay at 4.9 for now. Thanks! At least the FBX export seems to work.

I broke my cardinal rule, never upgrade until you know it works!

• Padone said:

This can be useful to turn instances to objects so they can be exported to obj or other formats.

https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects

Also, always check the mtl file since path names may be wrong. Blender is generally fine because it does a smart search for textures.

Finally, to convert iray materials to more "obj friendly" ones, it is enough to apply the daz studio default shader. The conversion is generally quite good.

Great link, excellent!

• The great news is I have been in contact with Daz tech support, and they are on top of the problem.  laugh

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited November 2017

Good, I had exported over 30 objects to OBJ before I found out they are all messed up, have to put it on hold for now, they have been good for long time so stupid as I was I did not save any old 4.9 this time..

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • Good, I had exported over 30 objects to OBJ before I found out they are all messed up, have to put it on hold for now, they have been good for long time so stupid as I was I did not save any old 4.9 this time..

Yeah, me too.  Won't happen again!  laugh

• Same problem here. Any news?

• I have been asked by support to try a number of different things but nothing have helped so far, nothing new the lastest 24 hours.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

I have tried exporting a character as an .OBJ for use in Blender, and some of the textures are messed up when I import in Blender. But I don't know how I'd tell whether the problem is in DS's export process or Blender's import process! Both products were recently updated.

• Have a look in the obj file, if you find lines with "usemtl" without a material name after it, then it's DAZ export that messed up your OBJ.

edited November 2017

Have a look in the obj file, if you find lines with "usemtl" without a material name after it, then it's DAZ export that messed up your OBJ.

That was it! Thanks! As you can see in the attached pictures, the character's left horn is properly textured, but the right horn has the "inner mouth" texture applied to it. I thought the MTL file was messed up, but it turns out there were two blank usemtl statements in the OBJ file.

I renamed my exported file from imp.obj to imp.obj.txt, then opened it in a text editor. (The file is apparently too big for Notepad, so I used Visual Studio.) I searched for the usemtl statements without material names, typed in the names of the corresponding materials, saved the file, and then renamed it back to imp.obj. Once I did that, I could import it perfectly into Blender.

Too bad DS's export feature is messed up, but at least it's possible to easily apply the manual correction!

Messed Up Texture.PNG
    750 x 706 - 464K
    Messed Up Texture 2.PNG
    662 x 655 - 495K
    Post edited by Inkubo on
    edited November 2017

By the way, if anyone else has this problem and needs to edit an OBJ file by hand, a quick way to find the offending lines is to turn on regular-expression searches and use this as the search term:

usemtl *$

You may have to look at other usemtl lines to find the proper texture names, but this search will at least tell you very quickly what you'll need to fix.

Post edited by Inkubo on
  • Well, if you have 30 OBJ files, some of them with over 100 materials and 10-15 are missing because of a bug in the export it's not that easy any more crying

• HeleneHelene Posts: 115

I am having a problem with the fbx export in DAZ 4.10.  I can export props and figures without animation.  When I add the iClone face key (which is a string of animations) or a whole body pose 3DXchange crashes.  I will go ahead and open a ticket.

• Great work and help in this folks!  Hopefully, DAZ will fix the export function in the next release.

• it has also apparently broken the Virtual World Dynamics bridge

DAZ may not be to concerned about that sadly

• The OBJ export issue has been fixed. Please see this post for more information

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203076/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-10-0-118-updated/p1

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

That's great for beta users.

• I don't know why folks have such a hard time understanding that the best way to be sure a fix works is for the person experiencing it to install the beta version to be sure it actually fixes the problem for them.

• OK, so far early tests show export of .obj shows problem solved with the newest beta.  Great Job DAZ!  At this point until this fix goes to the General release I will do any GoZ work in current General release and open the scene in Beta version when its time to export.