Old Country Farmhouse - Someones been smoking the gange? lol

13»

Comments

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    jakiblue said:

I think pork pies are definitley a UK thing :) My stepdad is from Cornwell - he's mentioned pork pies a time or two. Minced meat is just 'mince' here in Australia. I remember the term "potted meat" from the good ol' Enid Blyton books or any UK boarding school books I used to read as a kid. Could NEVER work out what they were on about - potted meat when they were having midnight feeds in the dorms. LOL 

jakiblue said:

Potted meat...is that a UK term for stuff like Spam? Or that corned beef in a tin I see in supermarkets? 

I've never called a pot plant a potted plant. 'Potted' is for pool balls and snooker balls. And also for meat, if you're daft enough as a kid to tactfully say 'That was nice, dad', without realising you've just guaranteed the appearance of the stuff on your plate every Saturday for ninety shades of forever :)

Potted meat is a hideous creation first served up to me when I was a kid in the mid-seventies, made of minced meat set in gelatine. I think minced meat is called ground meat in America, and gelatine is what's used around the meat in pork pies (which might be a UK only thing). Bizarrely it was left to set in our big trifle bowl, which saw trifle very much less often. My dad was 47 when I was born, and of a different generation even to my mum. Not only did he come from a houseful of kids in a time of more basic fare, he'd been a cook in the army and so did all the cooking in our house, mostly the simple stuff that he knew. A lot of it was delicious, and the rest was at least edible. This potted meat, though... well, it taught me that either he didn't know the difference between unbridled enthusiasm and thinly disguised disgust, or chose to ignore it. I should've been more like one of my sons who'd return each half-finished plate of one of my culinary disasters to me saying 'Mmm.. very filling!'

Apart from the potted meat, pork pies were one of the three things we used to dread my dad dishing up (the other being his omelettes, which always had a vat of salt in them). Believe it or not, he'd heat pork pies up by warming them through in a pan of baked beans. I'm not sure why, because I've only ever seen them eaten cold anywhere. The result was a lump of greasy-looking pork sitting on an island of soggy pastry in the middle of a plate of beans. He had a well-deserved reputation for being a good cook, but when he got it wrong he really got it wrong :)

• jakiblue said:

I think pork pies are definitley a UK thing :) My stepdad is from Cornwell - he's mentioned pork pies a time or two. Minced meat is just 'mince' here in Australia. I remember the term "potted meat" from the good ol' Enid Blyton books or any UK boarding school books I used to read as a kid. Could NEVER work out what they were on about - potted meat when they were having midnight feeds in the dorms. LOL 

jakiblue said:

Potted meat...is that a UK term for stuff like Spam? Or that corned beef in a tin I see in supermarkets? 

I've never called a pot plant a potted plant. 'Potted' is for pool balls and snooker balls. And also for meat, if you're daft enough as a kid to tactfully say 'That was nice, dad', without realising you've just guaranteed the appearance of the stuff on your plate every Saturday for ninety shades of forever :)

Potted meat is a hideous creation first served up to me when I was a kid in the mid-seventies, made of minced meat set in gelatine. I think minced meat is called ground meat in America, and gelatine is what's used around the meat in pork pies (which might be a UK only thing). Bizarrely it was left to set in our big trifle bowl, which saw trifle very much less often. My dad was 47 when I was born, and of a different generation even to my mum. Not only did he come from a houseful of kids in a time of more basic fare, he'd been a cook in the army and so did all the cooking in our house, mostly the simple stuff that he knew. A lot of it was delicious, and the rest was at least edible. This potted meat, though... well, it taught me that either he didn't know the difference between unbridled enthusiasm and thinly disguised disgust, or chose to ignore it. I should've been more like one of my sons who'd return each half-finished plate of one of my culinary disasters to me saying 'Mmm.. very filling!'

Apart from the potted meat, pork pies were one of the three things we used to dread my dad dishing up (the other being his omelettes, which always had a vat of salt in them). Believe it or not, he'd heat pork pies up by warming them through in a pan of baked beans. I'm not sure why, because I've only ever seen them eaten cold anywhere. The result was a lump of greasy-looking pork sitting on an island of soggy pastry in the middle of a plate of beans. He had a well-deserved reputation for being a good cook, but when he got it wrong he really got it wrong :)

we have the pie floater

a meat pie upsidedown in pea soup with tomato sauce on top

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

mushy peas with pie - god, i loathe those. Love my meat pie with dead horse but you put peas anywhere near that sucker, and I'll beat you down. LOL. 

And baked beans? Ugh. My husband LOVES them. I want to gag at just the smell of them. Always thought they were like little fat maggots being crushed between your teeth. 

th3Digit said:
    jakiblue said:

jakiblue said:

we have the pie floater

a meat pie upsidedown in pea soup with tomato sauce on top

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    jakiblue said:

That Jello Salad freaks me out. Ok, here, jelly is awesome. A sweet yummy dessert you put on ice cream....or just on it's own. I only ever hear "jelly" used as jam in America...and then there's something called Jello which I used to THINK was jelly.....but it's not. I don't get it!

"Jelly" here is interchangable with "Jam" and it's Fruit Preserves (like Peanutbutter and Strawberry Jelly).

Jello here is Gelatin (usually fruit flavored) and even if it's made my a completely different company, it's still called Jello here. lol

I hear "Pudding" is differnet other places than it is here too. Here pudding is like creamy chocolate or vanilla. Someone once told me that other places have something called "meat pudding" and that freaked me out a little bit. lol

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    jakiblue said:

That Jello Salad freaks me out. Ok, here, jelly is awesome. A sweet yummy dessert you put on ice cream....or just on it's own. I only ever hear "jelly" used as jam in America...and then there's something called Jello which I used to THINK was jelly.....but it's not. I don't get it!

"Jelly" here is interchangable with "Jam" and it's Fruit Preserves (like Peanutbutter and Strawberry Jelly).

Jello here is Gelatin (usually fruit flavored) and even if it's made my a completely different company, it's still called Jello here. lol

I hear "Pudding" is differnet other places than it is here too. Here pudding is like creamy chocolate or vanilla. Someone once told me that other places have something called "meat pudding" and that freaked me out a little bit. lol

Jelly, Jam, Preserves, Marmalades and Fruit Butters are different things, even here in the USA.  But a lot of people use many of them interchangably, though that isn't correct.

Jellies are made from fruit juice and pectin.  They contain no fruit solids.

Jams and Preserves are both made from whole fruits, but with jams they are cooked until soft and then crushed/pureed.  Preserves are cooked until the fruit chunks are suspended and are not crushed/pureed.

Marmalades use the rinds to with the fruit to generate a different consistency and flavor.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+jelly+and+jam

Jello™ is simply a BRAND of flavored and sweetened Gelatin here in the USA.  It's mostly used as a simple dessert here, sometimes with pieces of fruit in it.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

Potted Meat can be a lot of things and they use fat not gelatin to pack it in.

Potted Haugh is just one of many.

Potted Herring is different though and is what I would call Roll Mop Herring which are put in a pot :)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited November 2017
    hphoenix said:
    jakiblue said:

Jelly, Jam, Preserves, Marmalades and Fruit Butters are different things, even here in the USA.  But a lot of people use many of them interchangably, though that isn't correct.

Jellies are made from fruit juice and pectin.  They contain no fruit solids.

Jams and Preserves are both made from whole fruits, but with jams they are cooked until soft and then crushed/pureed.  Preserves are cooked until the fruit chunks are suspended and are not crushed/pureed.

Marmalades use the rinds to with the fruit to generate a different consistency and flavor.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+jelly+and+jam

Jello™ is simply a BRAND of flavored and sweetened Gelatin here in the USA.  It's mostly used as a simple dessert here, sometimes with pieces of fruit in it.

It depends on what part of the country you're from. Not every area of the US is the same. Take "soda", "pop", and "coke". Terms used for the same thing in different parts of the country.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2017

Potheads or potted heads?

POTHEADS.png
    1800 x 1350 - 4M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    jakiblue said:

jakiblue said:

Heating up pork pies must be a british army thing.   I can remember my sister-in-law giving us a severe dose of food poisoning by serving heated up pork pies.

Another variation on potted meat could be pork brawn.     https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/brawn/

• Perhaps the farmhouse could be used as a little abbey.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5073793/Nuns-smoke-pot-latest-stop-ITV-roadtrip-series.html

Sister Petunia?

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Just the thought of pork pies make me feel ill LOL. 

On the other hand, nothing better than a pastie!!! 

Chohole said:
    jakiblue said:

jakiblue said:

Heating up pork pies must be a british army thing.   I can remember my sister-in-law giving us a severe dose of food poisoning by serving heated up pork pies.

Another variation on potted meat could be pork brawn.     https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/brawn/

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    jakiblue said:

Just the thought of pork pies make me feel ill LOL. 

On the other hand, nothing better than a pastie!!! 

I do not like Pasties on the other hand a Forfar Bridie is great between two slices of buttered multi grain brown bread :)

• Jello salad.  Arghhh....  I remember my mother putting it in front of us a few times.  We tried it, but we never asked for it and was quickly forgotten about until now.  THANKS! angry

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited November 2017

Complaint: Regretable food; "Croutons".  What's the deal with croutons on my salad everywhere I go?  I do not understand the concept of putting dry, gritty, stale bread crumbs on my cold, moist, leaves, vegetable pieces, and smooth, creamy dressings intended to flood my mouth with delicate taste sensations.  Then here comes that exploding sandpaper scraping along my teeth and flesh.  What is it about croutons?  Just because it's a French word I'm supposed to go all ga-ga and ooh-la-la and think I'm being sophisticated?  Reality being it was a way to not waste old stale bread.  frown

'Nother complaint:  More regretable food;  "Aluminum foil on baked potatoes".  Around here all the local restaurants bring your baked potato to the table still wrapped in aluminum foil.  Arghhh....  Do they think they're doing me any favors by making my brain explode remembering the feeling of chewing on a small piece of aluminum foil once 60 years ago?  People, I don't care if you cook the potato in aluminum foil (I'd rather you didn't), but please, please, take the time to remove it (COMPLETELY) before you bring it to my table.  And don't just slice it open with a knife, invariably forcing a small sliver of foil deep into the potato flesh where I will find it when I'm least expecting it. angry Unwrap it and get that foil away from the potato.  Aluminum foil on a baked potato screams country bumpkin cooking and lack of sophistication.  I go out to a restaurant to get decent food, not something copied from the "Hints from Heloise" column.  A properly cooked baked potato should be presented without the foil.  And you should be able to eat the skin, it should not be like old dry cardboard. enlightened

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • To get back on the Old Country Farnouse topic: Does anybody have any renders of the interior rooms and/or a top view without the roof?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
    th3Digit said:

Would get a really weird look here in Adelaide if you said potted plant.

Yeah very rarely do we hear that in Australia, I have always heard and reffered to them as pot plants because they are plants and are in a pot.. :)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970

Complaint: Regretable food; "Croutons".  What's the deal with croutons on my salad everywhere I go?  I do not understand the concept of putting dry, gritty, stale bread crumbs on my cold, moist, leaves, vegetable pieces, and smooth, creamy dressings intended to flood my mouth with delicate taste sensations.  Then here comes that exploding sandpaper scraping along my teeth and flesh.  What is it about croutons?  Just because it's a French word I'm supposed to go all ga-ga and ooh-la-la and think I'm being sophisticated?  Reality being it was a way to not waste old stale bread.  frown

'Nother complaint:  More regretable food;  "Aluminum foil on baked potatoes".  Around here all the local restaurants bring your baked potato to the table still wrapped in aluminum foil.  Arghhh....  Do they think they're doing me any favors by making my brain explode remembering the feeling of chewing on an small piece of aluminum foil once 60 years ago?  People, I don't care if you cook the potato in aluminum foil (I'd rather you didn't), but please, please, take the time to remove it (COMPLETELY) before you bring it to my table. angry Aluminum foil on a baked potato screams lack of sophistication and country bumpkin cooking.  I go out to a restaurant to get decent food not something copied from the "Hints from Heloise" column.  A properly cooked baked potato should be presented without the foil and you should be able to eat the skin, it should not be like old dry cardboard. enlightened

On croutons - I love French onion soup, and in one restaurant (part of a chain) I orddred it.  It came and it had a single crouton.  It was exactly the diameter of the soup bowl so you could not get at the ****** soup without displacing it by poking at the ******* crouton to get it out of the way!  Great ****** design! cheeky

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837
    edited November 2017

Beautiful product but I have some issues:

Pot plants = marijuana

Potted meat = sounds terrible, but the explination here sounds like what my grandfather loved; headcheese we called it. I recently had some in a bahn mi, and as long as I didn't see it, it was delicious.

Pasties = garment type item put on a woman's breasts to either augement or cover from view in otherwise revealing outfits.

And now for a question - what am I seeing here? This is the left hand wall, and I get it the most when in this oblique light, the least when the area is in shadow. To me it might be duplicate geometry? Slightly out of phase? I tried to go in the material and see if I could delete or opacity something out but it takes out the front of the wall, so its tied together. Or is it just the geometery? Or the material itself? 

Is anyone else getting this? Or is it my machine somehow?

Old Farmhouse left side wall.jpg
    1200 x 450 - 510K
    Post edited by Joe Webb on
  • Anyone see the insides? How do they look? 

Empty rooms that we could populate with furniture and lights?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,939
    Joe Webb said:

Pot plants = marijuana

Potted meat = sounds terrible, but the explination here sounds like what my grandfather loved; headcheese we called it. I recently had some in a bahn mi, and as long as I didn't see it, it was delicious.

Pasties = garment type item put on a woman's breasts to either augement or cover from view in otherwise revealing outfits.

And now for a question - what am I seeing here? This is the left hand wall, and I get it the most when in this oblique light, the least when the area is in shadow. To me it might be duplicate geometry? Slightly out of phase? I tried to go in the material and see if I could delete or opacity something out but it takes out the front of the wall, so its tied together. Or is it just the geometery? Or the material itself? 

You are right. I get the same thing.

• Joe Webb said:

Pot plants = marijuana

Looks as if maybe the normals and the mesh or bump don't match.

• Joe Webb said:

Pot plants = marijuana

Base colour removed, Bump+Normal, Normal Only, Bump Only. it does look as if theya re out of alignment, I'll go pester Jen

OldfarmhouseBumpsandNormals.JPG
    1913 x 779 - 290K
  • avxp said:

Anyone see the insides? How do they look? 

Empty rooms that we could populate with furniture and lights?

They are fairly basic textured boxes behind th doors and windows, so there's no need to make the windows solid or keep the doors shut. They don't have any modelled detailing (no doors or the like) so they wouldn't work for interior shots in most cases.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    SimonJM said:

'Nother complaint:  More regretable food;  "Aluminum foil on baked potatoes".  Around here all the local restaurants bring your baked potato to the table still wrapped in aluminum foil.  Arghhh....  Do they think they're doing me any favors by making my brain explode remembering the feeling of chewing on an small piece of aluminum foil once 60 years ago?  People, I don't care if you cook the potato in aluminum foil (I'd rather you didn't), but please, please, take the time to remove it (COMPLETELY) before you bring it to my table. angry Aluminum foil on a baked potato screams lack of sophistication and country bumpkin cooking.  I go out to a restaurant to get decent food not something copied from the "Hints from Heloise" column.  A properly cooked baked potato should be presented without the foil and you should be able to eat the skin, it should not be like old dry cardboard. enlightened

On croutons - I love French onion soup, and in one restaurant (part of a chain) I orddred it.  It came and it had a single crouton.  It was exactly the diameter of the soup bowl so you could not get at the ****** soup without displacing it by poking at the ******* crouton to get it out of the way!  Great ****** design! cheeky

????? French onion soup isn't supposed to have croutons? Its supposed to have toasted baguette?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,939
    Joe Webb said:

Pot plants = marijuana

Base colour removed, Bump+Normal, Normal Only, Bump Only. it does look as if theya re out of alignment, I'll go pester Jen

But are those maps aligned properly with the Base Color map? Is the UV map correct?

• barbult said:
    Joe Webb said:

Pot plants = marijuana

But are those maps aligned properly with the Base Color map? Is the UV map correct?

It seems to me they aren't aligned with each other, but I couldn't decide at a quick go whetehr the base map worked (and then DS crashed part way through the sixth open render window of the wall with diffrent options, so I couldn't do a more careful comparison).

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837

Joe Webb said:

Thanks. It's easy enough to put something in front of the wall for now, like hay or a cart.

As said, little rooms behind each door and window, with a stone texture like the outer walls. All the doors and windows open as far as I can tell.

Interesting. I get a few of the ivy leaves come out white. It happens to real ivy, in fact I have some right now on my fence, but I didn't recall seeing it in the Promos. I looked at the promo images and saw that the bump/normal alignment issue is there for some of the promos, but not in the clay render.

Anyway, cool set, I really like it.

Old Farmhouse doors and windows.jpg
    1500 x 563 - 659K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970
    j cade said:
    SimonJM said:

????? French onion soup isn't supposed to have croutons? Its supposed to have toasted baguette?

I don't mind eithe (a nice piece of baguette by the side or a sprinkle of crourons in the soup)r, but I prefer it not being a plug stopping me getting to my ***** soup! laugh

• Yeah, here in Canada I have only heard "potted" plants.