OT ..Go Away critics ..Valerian is amazing!!

2»

Comments

• tkdrobert said:
    jestmart said:

What do critics know, "Howard the Duck" was a masterpiece.

They're paid, generally, to watch movies and give their opinion; some take it a little too far and pan good movies, or ones that are supposed to be humorous, like the tale of the unfortunate fowl in the movie you named. (Yes, I've seen it and it's a real honk)

My problem with today's critics is that many of them don't seem to even watch the movies they are reviewing. I've seen many, many instances where dialogue was misattributed by the critic to a different character, for example. I've also heard critics critique screenplays of films - which is impossible unless they magically have access to the screenplay itself because you cannot infer anything about the screenplay from the finished film. (The screenplay is only the starting point for a film, not a cookbook recipe). There is also a timidity in offering negative thoughts regarding certain properties who possess huge, vocal fanbases.There's also a complete lack of anything approaching a theory of what a good movie ought to be. I like reading older critics like Vincent Canby and Susan Sontag because, even though I might disagree with their individual reviews, they weren't just making arbitrary judgements about whether a film was good or not.

I could say many of the same things about pop music criticism, come to think of it.

I remember a critic completely misinterpreted a scene in Avengers 2 with Dr. Banner and Black Widow.  Dove me up the wall.

That's exactly the type of thing I'm talkin' about! I remember something similar happened within a review of "Winter Soldier." The dialogue quoted was semi-accurate, but the inflections and intonation were ignored which of course is where the actual meaning comes from. I noticed it only because I read the review AFTER seeing the movie. I rewatched the scene just to make sure.

There's also the problem when they rely on information in press releases as the sole source of their backstory research. You can tell when this happens because you'll see multiple critics make the exact same dubious references to the same facts. This sort of thing happens all the time. 

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    Llynara said:

I haven't been to a movie theater in ages, but it sounds like a good one to put on my wishlist. I loved The Fifth Element, still one of my faves. Loved the first Bladerunner too, and heard the second was pretty good. I keep picking up sci fi stuff in the DAZ store, even though I don't really render or write much sci fi. I do love it though!

My wife and I really enjoyed the new Bladerunner. It went a little overboard with sexual imagery and it could have used more action but it was still really enjoyable. The score for it was fantastic. I was reading though that it has been dissapointing as far as the numbers go and it stands to lose the studio $80 million. Yikes!

The original Blade Runner lost money as well, on it's initial release.  I suspect that, just like the original, the sequel will still be making money and being talked about in 30 years time.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Llynara said:

I haven't been to a movie theater in ages, but it sounds like a good one to put on my wishlist. I loved The Fifth Element, still one of my faves. Loved the first Bladerunner too, and heard the second was pretty good. I keep picking up sci fi stuff in the DAZ store, even though I don't really render or write much sci fi. I do love it though!

My wife and I really enjoyed the new Bladerunner. It went a little overboard with sexual imagery and it could have used more action but it was still really enjoyable. The score for it was fantastic. I was reading though that it has been dissapointing as far as the numbers go and it stands to lose the studio $80 million. Yikes!

The original Blade Runner lost money as well, on it's initial release.  I suspect that, just like the original, the sequel will still be making money and being talked about in 30 years time.

Cheers,

Alex.

I didn't think the new blade runner was quite the movie it could have been.  But it did remain true to the feel. I enjoyed it... although I could have done with a bit less of the synth effect score.  It was distracting.  I would rather have more scenes without music.

• Llynara said:

Cheers,

Alex.

I didn't think the new blade runner was quite the movie it could have been.  But it did remain true to the feel. I enjoyed it... although I could have done with a bit less of the synth effect score.  It was distracting.  I would rather have more scenes without music.

I liked it a lot. It worked far better than I thought it would, and it was very different from what I imagined (and feared) a Blade Runner sequel would have been like many years ago. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    tkdrobert said:
    jestmart said:

What do critics know, "Howard the Duck" was a masterpiece.

They're paid, generally, to watch movies and give their opinion; some take it a little too far and pan good movies, or ones that are supposed to be humorous, like the tale of the unfortunate fowl in the movie you named. (Yes, I've seen it and it's a real honk)

My problem with today's critics is that many of them don't seem to even watch the movies they are reviewing. I've seen many, many instances where dialogue was misattributed by the critic to a different character, for example. I've also heard critics critique screenplays of films - which is impossible unless they magically have access to the screenplay itself because you cannot infer anything about the screenplay from the finished film. (The screenplay is only the starting point for a film, not a cookbook recipe). There is also a timidity in offering negative thoughts regarding certain properties who possess huge, vocal fanbases.There's also a complete lack of anything approaching a theory of what a good movie ought to be. I like reading older critics like Vincent Canby and Susan Sontag because, even though I might disagree with their individual reviews, they weren't just making arbitrary judgements about whether a film was good or not.

I could say many of the same things about pop music criticism, come to think of it.

I remember a critic completely misinterpreted a scene in Avengers 2 with Dr. Banner and Black Widow.  Dove me up the wall.

That's exactly the type of thing I'm talkin' about! I remember something similar happened within a review of "Winter Soldier." The dialogue quoted was semi-accurate, but the inflections and intonation were ignored which of course is where the actual meaning comes from. I noticed it only because I read the review AFTER seeing the movie. I rewatched the scene just to make sure.

There's also the problem when they rely on information in press releases as the sole source of their backstory research. You can tell when this happens because you'll see multiple critics make the exact same dubious references to the same facts. This sort of thing happens all the time. 

I remember a professor at University of New Hampshire who did segments on Robert Frost poems for the NH PBS station and got them wrong.  Drove us crazy.