AOA Rock & Grass Bundle Rendering Problem

LasciareLasciare Posts: 184

Hi !

I've just bought the Rock & Grass Bundle, which looks like a very fine product for someone like me who is still rendering in 3Delight. But, somehow, I have some problems rendering the Grassy hills and boulders scene that comes with the bunddle. Even if I render it as it is, four of the rocks look like if the meshes were clipped or cracked (but not as wished). I was wondering if someone else have had this problem and mostly what could cause it. Is it my Daz settings or graphic card settings? I have tried almost every surface and parameter settings, and nothing seems to solve this, except, of course, removing the displacement effect. Here is a picture showing the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Grassy hills and boulders.png
1600 x 600 - 2M
Post edited by Lasciare on

Comments

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited November 2017

I did a quick test with a sphere and used the rock shader and could not see anything wrong with it (DS 4.10), I will try with the test scene and see.

Edit: No I bought them one at the time so I don't have the bundle, I think the demo scenes are included with that, but I can't see anything wrong with the rocks when I try them.

Should not have anything to do with your graphics hardware, it's all on the right side so maybe some kind of rendering artifact, try change the lighting and see if it makes any difference.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • LasciareLasciare Posts: 184
    edited November 2017

I've already tried with different lighting: distant light, AOA, Uber, with or without occusion, and there was no improvement. I would like to understand what can cause this kind of artifact... (I am using DS 4.9)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

That looks so weird, I have that bundle but never saw anything like it, sorry! I also use DS 4.9 but it's working for me.

It almost looks like there are "identical " cracks on the rocks, could it be a map in the wrong slot that is causing the problem?

I don't believe it's a lightning problem, only guessing of course. What are your render settings (shading rate) or are you using

progressive mode?

• LasciareLasciare Posts: 184
    edited November 2017

Thanks a lot :) I never thought using progrssive mode could cause problems, so rendering without it was one of the few things I didn't try. In fact, without progressive mode it is alright. I still don't understand the connection between the progressive mode and the artifacts...

Lasciare said:

Thanks a lot :) I never thought using progrssive mode could cause problems, so rendering without it was one of the few things I didn't try. In fact, without progressive mode it is alright. I still don't understand the connection between the progressive mode and the artifacts...

Lol I can't say I do either, but I know progressive mode is using the raytracer so it's different from the "standard" renderer. Progressive mode

works best when rendering a lot of reflective/refractive stuff. Glad you worked it out(kind of)!

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,311

Old thread about progressive rendering may explain .....   wink

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6097/progressive-render-what-does-this-do-exactly

glaseye said:

Old thread about progressive rendering may explain .....   wink

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6097/progressive-render-what-does-this-do-exactly

Yeah but it's not up to date really, if you use the progressive mode the quality is set by the pixel samples and ray trace depht, it doesn't use shading rate settings.