D-Form Tool or Physics - How to make Clutter

TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
edited November 2017 in New Users

Hi Everyone,

Wasn't quite satisfied with my scenes-- something just wasn't quite right about them, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Then I got a mail from DAZ featuring a texture/shader product.  Image is attached.  It features a bunch of towels in a laundry basket.

That's what's missing.  Clutter & trash!  A mechanic might have a shop rag in his pocket, teenager might have dirty clothes, junk food wrappers on floor, etc.

So how did they make the towels fold into a laundry basket in attached promo?

I've tried the d-form tool with limited success, but haven't experimented with (d-force?) cloth physics yet.

Bottom line: how would you make things like a crumpled "McDonald's" bag or just everyday things that might be left lying around?  About the best I've been able to do is "smush" a soda can or water bottle.  ; )

Thanks

--Bruce 

04-uhd-fuzzy-cloth---shaders-and-merchant-resource-daz3d.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 232K
Post edited by Tynkere on

Comments

• There's a great thread in the Commons about using dForce to do this. You might want to check it out here. @RGcincy has a lot of great tips in there for draping clothing on objects and the floor.

You could also use dForm Tool but, as you discovered, it doesn't always get the results you might want. Another option is to take it into a third party modeling program like Blender or Hexagon and manually manipulating the mesh to get the look you want. You could also use Blender's cloth simulator but, if you were going to do that, you might as well give the dForce physics inside DS a go.

I've had a lot of fun banging things up and squishing things in both Blender and Hexagon. You just need to know the very basics of either program bang up or squish a mesh. 

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited December 2018

Thanks.  Will definitely follow up on dForce, but looks like I might have to plunge into mesh/textures themselves?

Lets say I want to turn this brown grocery bag into a crumpled up white “Burger-Mart” bag with grease stains. 

Hexagon or Blender the best bet for that, or can one app even do mesh + textures?

---
    Edit:  Dec. 2018 - weeding out too many files at imgur.  PM if find broken links.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

Hexagon or Blender might indeed be the best tool for that. dForm will give you a drape on the ground, but not your  crumbling.

As far as texturing goes, you can do that in photoshop/gimp, using the existing texture as base.

About the clothes, there's one product in the shop having premade stuff: https://www.daz3d.com/messy-laundry-mega-set

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited December 2018
    BeeMKay said:

Hexagon or Blender might indeed be the best tool for that. dForm will give you a drape on the ground, but not your  crumbling.

As far as texturing goes, you can do that in photoshop/gimp, using the existing texture as base.

About the clothes, there's one product in the shop having premade stuff: https://www.daz3d.com/messy-laundry-mega-set

Took a chance on Hexagon.  This is going to take some time, but will have my trashy clutter yet!  yes

Thank you both for all the great tips and advice! 

---

Edit:  Dec. 2018 - weeding out too many files at imgur.  PM if find broken links.