Readme's please!!

HeraHera Posts: 1,955

Bought a pro-bundle today, and spent almost 2 hours capturing the readme's - can we please have these included in the downloads?!
I want to use my time creating art instead of cut/pasting from a web interface!

Comments

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

I never considered that since they're accessible by clicking on the product icon in daz.

I assume the reason for your request is because you want to access them offline, or you're concerned they may disappear from the web one day like many older products.

Seems like good reasons to me.

• I know at one time everything DAZ sold included them in the old BitRock installers, but it seems most of the newer content assumes you have an active internet connection on the PC where DAZ Studio is installed and unless it's something that absolutely requires one, you don't get anything on the PC.

• There are two ways to reach the readme. In Daz Studio, right-click the product tumbnail and select More Information (or if you have a product open in Smart Content just click the thumbnail). In DIM click the cirecled i icon to the right of the name.

• And if you don't use Studio or DIM, you have to hunt them down manually. It's a royal pain in the rear and poor customer service..

• You can also bookmark one readme, then open it and paste the SKU for the desired product into it to save going through the list in the Documentation Centre.

• Still requires you to jump through hoops and download it seperately. I just don't understand why they can't just package it with the zip file, all other vendors do..

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

The good sides of having the readmes on a website are that you can access the readme before purchasing the product, and also that you always get the most recent version when you consult it.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955

I don't want to have to open DIM everytime I want to check a readme.

I often use the readme's to find out where the various products are located, because save for things directly related to people (like hair, clothes and some props for post Genesis characters) there's no logic to where things are. Take an interior for instance, it might be located in Environments, environments/architecture, props, runtine/props, runtime/characters or sub directories to those, sometimes named after vendors other times named after something entirely else. It's terrible finding stuff if you don't have a link, which is available in the readme. + that you might want to check if there's Iray materials and if there's some other props you might need to add et cetera. Often when I create something, more than 2/3 of the time is spent by looking for things. And then the readme is some kind of a guide so I want it handy in a readme directory, not having to go online and perform another search to find that document.  

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393
    Hera said:

I don't want to have to open DIM everytime I want to check a readme.

You don't have to, you can do it from DS or from the website too. With the Daz Deals browser add-on you even have a link to the readme on the product pages.