Night Bar - weird Iray lighting when camera gets too close to bar

GatorGator Posts: 1,293
edited November 2017 in The Commons

This is weird.  Anyone know what in the wide wide world of sports is a going on?  Night Bar, took a shot with some ghost lights added, simple square plane that's emissive.  First it's all good.  Move the camera up a bit (like 2 feet or so) then all the lighting goes dim, and you can see the color of the emissive on the bar changes.  I recreated the problem simply zooming the camera.  Keep zooming in bit by bit, then bam.  Anyone have any idea what's going on?  

https://www.daz3d.com/night-bar

Night Bar Normal.JPG
1755 x 1551 - 650K
Night Bar Weird.JPG
1809 x 1505 - 175K
Post edited by Gator on

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

Is the camera inside something which is causing this? Looks almost like the camera is inside or behind something that causes it.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

This looks like you zoomed right into your ghost light?

• GatorGator Posts: 1,293

Good ideas, I had to look to be sure.  Nope, cameras are not looking through anything.  I also tried turning DOF off.

edited November 2017

Could you post a screenshot of the scene without render, with the ghost lights in diagnosis surface mode?

EDIT: I'm wondering, does this behaviour happen only while you zoom in when runnng the Iray preview, or also if you render preview, set Iray preview to off, zoom in, then restart the preview?

Post edited by BeeMKay on

OK, this is baffling me.  Right after I posted, to eliminate the possibility of the ghost lights I cleared the scene, and loaded Night Bar from scratch.  I tested all the cameras.  For some reason, cameras 5, 7, 8 are in some kind of dead zone.  It's just black.  Other cameras work fine.

I'm on 4.9.4.122, I think I'm going to upgrade.  Nervous.  Wish me well...

Your edit - I usually don't have Iray preview on, usually Texture Shaded.  Forgot to mention that I get same results from clicking on render vs. Iray preview.

• There is something wrong with the geometry in the ceiling that causes it to glitch out.  Hide the CeilingMod object in the scene.  There have been several threads about this set with this issue in the past, surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.

Thanks RobotHeadArt!  That's it.  smiley

I did update to 4.10, thankfully that seemed to be OK.  Got the same results vs. 4.9.4.122.

Do you know a fix for it besides just turning it off?  I tried GoZ and back, no luck.  I think I see the problem, some missing faces.

Night Bar Ceiling Glitch 1.JPG
    733 x 978 - 72K
    Night Bar Ceiling Glitch 2.JPG
    1401 x 1725 - 110K
    Night Bar Ceiling Glitch 3.JPG
    1284 x 1521 - 104K
    edited November 2017

Is the ceiling using subdivided mode, or is it base mode?

If it's subd mode, does switching to Base mode help?

Post edited by BeeMKay on

Good idea, but it's Base mode.  indecision

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    edited November 2017

Possibly not the issue with this set, but something to keep in mind whenever this happens: Try resetting the Focal Distance and Focal Length parameters of the camera to their default settings. Then reposition or rezoom the camera. Sometimes these settings can get all out of whack.

Remember that when you zoom into a scene, you also compress the perspective. Be sure this is what you want. You may instead want to set the Focal Length (~55mm is a "normal" lens) and then physically move the camera to get it closer or farther away. This works as long as there aren't walls that can get in the way.

Post edited by Tobor on