OT: Tech Discounts are Coming: Black Friday

I've never been one to chase deals and discounts, but I just saw the news about what is apparently a yearly thing, where some retailers offer big discounts on the Friday after Thanksgiving (?). Or something like that. Sounds like, at least in the US, starting this weekend you can get some nice discounts at some of the big retailers. And what caught my eye is some good deals on laptops, which coincidentally I was thinking about getting. I rarely use my laptop (I prefer my 3 desktops), but when I travel it's nice to have something that isn't a complete piece of junk that's only good for web browsing. 

Again, not something I really need, but if there's a big discount I can convince myself to get some new technology. Cuz I'm a pushover when it comes to buying new computer stuff. Sometimes I stand tough, but sometimes I can convince myself. smiley

Oh, and I saw something about a Cyber Monday deal too. In any case, if anyone is thinking about buying stuff, this might be a good time. 

Comments

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135

You can definitely get some good deals, you just have to pay attention.  For most large retailers Black Friday will make or break an entire fiscal quarter all by itself.  It's INSANE how much business goes on that day.  The best advice I can give is if you are looking for a laptop, stay away from the extreme doorbuster deals, but the rest of them are generally safe.  Just grab the advertisments early and check for reviews on the laptops you like. If they have plenty of reviews then they are a regular model. If you can't find any reviews, or especially can't find any mention of the product then be wary of it.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Excellent. Thanks for the info. 

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited November 2017

Do your research.  I waited for black friday to see if I could get a better discount on a monitor once, then saw the price go UP on black friday one year.  Not to say that will happen, just that it can, so don't blindly assume it's cheaper.

Post edited by sriesch on