Cyber Monday and Video Cards

So I figured I’d ask people with experience before I end up with buyer’s remorse. 

I finally have enough saved up for a gtx 1080 ti but I haven’t bought it yet since cyber Monday is looming right around the corner. 

In your experiences does cyber Monday make a big difference on the high end video card pricing or am I better off buying now?

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Why not just wait a week and see? smiley

Since the 1080ti's weren't even around last Cyber Monday, probably nobody is sure what to expect.

I just checked Newegg and it doesn't look like any 1080ti's are on sale for the black friday/monday deals, but I assume that can change.

• One of the reasons I wouldn’t want to wait is I have a couple scenes that would be a lot easier to tackle with the extra VRAM I’m working on this week. Keep getting bumped back to CPU processing and compressing the textures is only getting me so far in fitting my existing card.  

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

I'm guessing that the stores give a lot of thought to what they'll put on sale for those specials, and want to get as much excitement as possible from customers. So they probably choose things with wide audiences. I'm guessing that in the scheme of things a 1080ti probably is more of a niche product, with relatively few customers (due to the price being so crazy for most buyers). So I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see many or any 1080ti's in the mix. But that's just a guess. 

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

I use a GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition card, and have absolutely no remorse... it's a pretty amazing GPU for rendering in Iray (and playing the latest PC & VR games). PC Gamer has a decent list of deals across various manufacturers... pcgamer.com/the-best-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-deals

If your budget is super constrained, it might be worth taking a look at the recently released GEFORCE GTX 1070 Ti — the price/performance ratio is excellent.

The two most important factors for Iray rendering are the amount of memory and the number of CUDA cores... get as much memory and CUDA cores as you can afford, and you'll be rewarded with better scene size capabilities and rendering speeds.

The 1080 Ti has 11 GB of GDDR5X memory and 3584 CUDA cores.
    The 1080 has 8 GB of GDDR5X memory and 2560 CUDA cores.
    The 1070 Ti has 8 GB of GDDR5 memory and 2432 CUDA cores.

Types of VRAM explained:
    http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/02/types-vram-explained-hbm-vs-gddr5-vs-gddr5x/