Is Photoshop the ony way

Hello I am really new to all this and just wondering if photoshop is the only photo editng software that you can use to make the mapping for changing or adding things to skins of people. like tatts and furs and all that. just watched a great vid on changing the fur of the warewolf and talked abought the mapping. I use corel paintshop pro for photo editing but has nothing like the mapping.

Comments

• No, any image editor will do (ideally one with layers, though even that might be dispensible in simple cases).

• Thank's 

• Assuming you're looking for a recommendation for a Photoshop alternative: Gimp is open source and thus free. It has many of the same features, though not all. There's a bit of a learning curve with either, so use youtube to find some introductory tutorials.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited November 2017

I think you are looking to create UV mapping, not just painting the image over an existing template?  (For just painting onto a flat canvas, paint shop pro would essentially do the same things photoshop and gimp would do, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.).  Somebody else will have to offer suggestions if that is what you are looking for though.

UVMapper, for example.  But I believe there is software that lets you paint directly onto a 3D object, which might be what you want.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    sriesch said:

I think you are looking to create UV mapping, not just painting the image over an existing template?  (For just painting onto a flat canvas, paint shop pro would essentially do the same things photoshop and gimp would do, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.).  Somebody else will have to offer suggestions if that is what you are looking for though.

UVMapper, for example.  But I believe there is software that lets you paint directly onto a 3D object, which might be what you want.

All of what he wants to do can be done in Photoshop or any other program like it.  I do make up on existing skins in Photoshop and will be doing tattoos as well at some point.  No need for a uv mapper or a 3d paint program unless you are planning on doing the whole skin from scratch.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

No need for a uv mapper or a 3d paint program unless you are planning on doing the whole skin from scratch.

Agreed.

Ragewave said:

... just watched a great vid on changing the fur of the warewolf and talked abought the mapping. I use corel paintshop pro for photo editing but has nothing like the mapping.

What do you think you are missing from paintshop pro relating to mapping that you are currently unable to do?

• I use gimp and elements.  Gimp lets me make normal maps of things.  I have a few add-on packs for Gimp that make it pretty sweet. Photoshop elements is on-sale this holiday season, I had some old make-up on photoshop layers which gimp won't open and elements solved my problem. For an art program, I really want to plug Twisted Brush as an alternative to Painter.  Also a great thing to have is Filter Forge.  I am pretty sure if you shop the sales all these can be had cheaper than a year of photoshop subscriptions.

• Another G.I.M.P supporter here and been so since 1999!

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 331

Currently I discourage everybody to even consider, using Photoshop. ;) This subscription concept is outright ridiculous.

Gimp, Krita and Paint.net is my current Combo to go. But a friend of mine receives pretty good results with corel draw. "Draw with Jazza" has a good video over at YouTube, where he tested different cheap/free tools from a drawing perspective. 

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited November 2017

I use Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop together to re-texture assets in my Fallout 3 and Skyrim games. Textures from scratch, I use 3D-Coat as a base instead.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on