Build and Construct 3D Models

DAZ 3D basically can assemble 3D modela and Objects; however, it can’t really develop original models from scratch..

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

You mean Studio, the posing and rendering program.

Daz3D is the company.  Daz also owns Hexagon and Carrara, both of which can develop models from scratch. Hexagon is currently free, and has a bridge to Studio.

• Over 3 and a half years I had purchased about $3,950. Worth of 3D models from the DAZ Studio Online Store. I. Thought I was creating my own work but actually I was using other artist models. I simply was just putting it together other peoples stuff. DAZ 3D has a wonderful graphic user interface. It is a great software program. DAZ studio is great for anyone who is interested in getting in to 3D. DAZ Hexagon would be my choice for 3D creation. What are your thoughts.

• DAZ 3D basically can assemble 3D modela and Objects; however, it can’t really develop original models from scratch..

Get Hexagon. Daz is for rendering. Hexagon is for modelling.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Over 3 and a half years I had purchased about $3,950. Worth of 3D models from the DAZ Studio Online Store. I. Thought I was creating my own work but actually I was using other artist models. I simply was just putting it together other peoples stuff. DAZ 3D has a wonderful graphic user interface. It is a great software program. DAZ studio is great for anyone who is interested in getting in to 3D. DAZ Hexagon would be my choice for 3D creation. What are your thoughts.

Yep, pretty much sums it up. I started modeling as my intro into 3D and can't imagine doing renders without any knowledge of modeling going into it, yet it seems many here have never used a modeling app. Good thing the term 3D encompasses both using 3d assets and actually creating them.. As for actually modeling something, my personal choice would be Zbrush/Mudbox for organic modeling and 3DSMax for all other work.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited November 2017

You are creating your own work, the same way photographers do. Photographers don't make the things they photograph usually, yet the photograph is still their own work. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise. There is a lot of jealousy from the rest of the 3D world to people that don't model,rig,texture everything from scratch like they do, yet can put out some nice works reguardless.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Well said.

TheKD said:

You are creating your own work, the same way photographers do. Photographers don't make the things they photograph usually, yet the photograph is still their own work. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise. There is a lot of jealousy from the rest of the 3D world to people that don't model,rig,texture everything from scratch like they do, yet can put out some nice works reguardless.

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

How many painters out there are grinding their own pigments still?
    Seriously only three hands up! So what's up with the rest of ewes, eh, eh?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited November 2017

Every couple of months, someone pops up who goes about 3D art not being art, or 'you have to make everything from scratch to be a true 3D artist'.

What a load of bull.

What arrogance.

That are my thoughts on what is said.

Few actors write their own plays, film and direct, create the stage set, build the theatre.

Few "true 3D artists" develope their own math formulas for movement and shader basics. They use pre-made programs, they use maths formulas created by others, surface definitions made by others, maybe even a mocap simulation to animate their character instead of manipulating the joints themselves. They perhaps create a storyboard for a story someone else wrote, or a image based on what someone else tells them, reflecting that person's ideas. The computer they use most likely wasn't built from scratch by them, and neither did they program it.

So, how do I feel about 'using content someone else made'? Do I feel like an artist?

Of course. I am my own director. Because using third party content is just the beginning of the creation process. I set up the lights, I tweak a pose until it is perfect. I put together a proper Background, modify textures if Needed, because 3Delight textures only autoconvert to a point. I even model my occasional simple stuff in Hexagon, or create a morphs there.

"True 3D Artists" love to forget that they are also working with someone's creation. 

Do I think people who can model, create textures, and such, deserve praise for their creations? Sure. I admire the time and patience they put into learning the skills, and the level of achievement they have reached. Some stuff is simply amazing, and especially because I have low level skills at these things, I do understand the effort and time that went into it.

But that same praise goes to people who create fantastic artwork from "mere" store content.

But

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Once you've taken a figure from your 'palette' and posed it, mixed in a hair, added in clothes, props and an environment and then 'painted' it with light and shadow, the result couldn't be called the creation of a single one of the content creators involved, or even a collaboration of them all. They've provided you with the tools and materials, but it's your piece.

'You're not a proper 3D artist if you don't make all the content from scratch' makes about as much sense as 'You're not a proper chef if you don't grow all the fruit and vegetables that you cook and hand-rear all your own meat'. People would just laugh and take no notice if someone made the chef comment, and I don't know why the 3D artistry comment generates a response either. Unless people with a superiority complex have recognised that 3D artists are even more insecure and sensitive than chefs are and are targeting these weaknesses in an attempt to prove to the gullible that they're Knowledgeable About Art. Surely not?! Chefs have no idea how lucky they are that there's no wisdom or voice of authority associated with pointing out that they haven't been nurturing those broccolli florets since they were seedlings :)

• a movie producer does not build his own sets

I see 3D as no different, we paid others for the right to use their assets royalty free in our own work, we dress our sets plan our shots

• Over 3 and a half years I had purchased about $3,950. Worth of 3D models from the DAZ Studio Online Store. I. Thought I was creating my own work but actually I was using other artist models. I simply was just putting it together other peoples stuff. DAZ 3D has a wonderful graphic user interface. It is a great software program. DAZ studio is great for anyone who is interested in getting in to 3D. DAZ Hexagon would be my choice for 3D creation. What are your thoughts.

Bull(*&^. I buy assets or get freebies for my art because I lack the skill to make them myself. But, I DO MAKE MY OWN ART WITH THEM. And in many, many cases I retexture, morph, kitbash or any other number of things to make them fit my vision. And I easily put MORE work into doing that stuff than I do rendering. You sound like a friend of mine's dad who has NEVER given me any respect as an artist because I don't draw or paint anymore. If I can get what's in my head on the page and am happy with it, I DON'T care that I am not using stuff I made myself. Using your logic, people like me who build and paint model kits should be sculpting and scratchbuilding everything ourselves or give up. This is ridiculous.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,941
    TheKD said:

...yes

• GatorGator Posts: 1,293

Once you've taken a figure from your 'palette' and posed it, mixed in a hair, added in clothes, props and an environment and then 'painted' it with light and shadow, the result couldn't be called the creation of a single one of the content creators involved, or even a collaboration of them all. They've provided you with the tools and materials, but it's your piece.

'You're not a proper 3D artist if you don't make all the content from scratch' makes about as much sense as 'You're not a proper chef if you don't grow all the fruit and vegetables that you cook and hand-rear all your own meat'. People would just laugh and take no notice if someone made the chef comment, and I don't know why the 3D artistry comment generates a response either. Unless people with a superiority complex have recognised that 3D artists are even more insecure and sensitive than chefs are and are targeting these weaknesses in an attempt to prove to the gullible that they're Knowledgeable About Art. Surely not?! Chefs have no idea how lucky they are that there's no wisdom or voice of authority associated with pointing out that they haven't been nurturing those broccolli florets since they were seedlings :)

I struggle to consider myself an artist, since my 2D artistic skills stink.  But to make 3D art that isn't junk requires an artistic vision, and a at least a skill or talent for it.  Also some true 2D artists use Poser & Daz.

A pretty good analogy, and applies across a lot of disciplines nowadays.  We simply couldn't be where we are if everyone always built everything from scratch.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I struggle to consider myself an artist, since my 2D artistic skills stink.  But to make 3D art that isn't junk requires an artistic vision, and a at least a skill or talent for it.  Also some true 2D artists use Poser & Daz.

A pretty good analogy, and applies across a lot of disciplines nowadays.  We simply couldn't be where we are if everyone always built everything from scratch.

Why?  Any way you can get the vision in your head out into the world counts as you being an artist.  I did traditional art long before there was any affordable access for the average person.  the 3d world gives me a chance to really be able to put together art in a way that wasn't possible for my skill set as a traditional artist.  If I had spent years just working on my art instead of raising my kids and working a job to help support our family, maybe I would be able to do it but for most of us, life isn't like that.  3d has made that possible.  Is there a learning curve?  Oh boy there sure is, and my beginnning attempts make me laugh now but just like anything else, if you stick with it, you will learn how to get your own personal vision out there and it doesn't matter if you didn't make everything from scratch.  Even many of the old world masters had apprentices mixing their paint and preparing their canvasses...

• Once you've taken a figure from your 'palette' and posed it, mixed in a hair, added in clothes, props and an environment and then 'painted' it with light and shadow, the result couldn't be called the creation of a single one of the content creators involved, or even a collaboration of them all. They've provided you with the tools and materials, but it's your piece.

Why?  Any way you can get the vision in your head out into the world counts as you being an artist.  I did traditional art long before there was any affordable access for the average person.  the 3d world gives me a chance to really be able to put together art in a way that wasn't possible for my skill set as a traditional artist.  If I had spent years just working on my art instead of raising my kids and working a job to help support our family, maybe I would be able to do it but for most of us, life isn't like that.  3d has made that possible.  Is there a learning curve?  Oh boy there sure is, and my beginnning attempts make me laugh now but just like anything else, if you stick with it, you will learn how to get your own personal vision out there and it doesn't matter if you didn't make everything from scratch.  Even many of the old world masters had apprentices mixing their paint and preparing their canvasses...

This X10. To paraphrase comic book Artist Rob Liefield, "Any artist worth his or her salt knows that you NEVER stop learning or growing, or shouldn't. If you do, you stagnate."

• Once you've taken a figure from your 'palette' and posed it, mixed in a hair, added in clothes, props and an environment and then 'painted' it with light and shadow, the result couldn't be called the creation of a single one of the content creators involved, or even a collaboration of them all. They've provided you with the tools and materials, but it's your piece.

This X10. To paraphrase comic book Artist Rob Liefield, "Any artist worth his or her salt knows that you NEVER stop learning or growing, or shouldn't. If you do, you stagnate."

Aside from the fact that you're supposed to do the opposite of what Liefeld says, this is great advice. angel

Aside from the fact that you're supposed to do the opposite of what Liefeld says, this is great advice. angel

"It's always time to learn" - Me.

• I was a professional portrait photographer for 10 years, and I can tell you the only difference between daz studio and a real portrait studio is that it's a lot more work to get anything done in daz studio!  

This image is my photo, the whole shoot took us less then 30 minutes, this actual photo probably took less then 1/125 of a second. Is it my art - I'm the photographer, everyone agrees that this is my art, no one even questions it. Even though all I did was tell the kid what to wear and stand her in a road, she posed herself, the lighting and background were already there. 

This took me several HOURS to set up in daz studio, I had to manually adjust every joint for the pose, set the lighting and camera, bring in background elements, it took another several hours to render, is it mine? Damn right it's mine! 

Seriously, there is absolutely no difference from traditional photography as far as I'm concerned. My studio and subjects are just in digital form now.

"It's always time to learn" - Me.

Okay I can follow Daywalker advice.