So, how far can one go with sliders?

Hello again. Another question came to me. While i know that users who take serious approach in making characters, do it with 3D modelling or sculpting apps like Zbrush or Modo, then send back to D|S as custom morph, i wonder. I wonder how's things "good enough" for more casual/hobby approach of using sliders.. i mean, dialed morphs? Or how do you really call them.

V4 has morphs++ and elite, Genesis generations have evolution bundles, handspan/thorne kits, sharecg freebie morph packs etc. etc. (also hybrid morphing) So, surely there are limitations, but can we say it would be "enough" for some people? Make their own characters, i mean.

I don't have much experience yet (neither slider approach nor external 3d), so i ask for your thoughts. May you remember great examples perhaps etc.

On a lighthearted note, i was taking a break from DAZ/Poser lately and checked out The Sims videogames.. Yeah if you know them. TS have character editors, which are of course are very basic, though i must note they are not as basic if we take into account usermade add-ons. But that's not what i mean, i just was under funny impression that TS3 uses sliders approach while TS4 use zbrush-style sculpting. Interesting, huh.

I'm not sure where i'll go myself, if i'd like to attempt of making a character, maybe based on IRL person (btw, where are tutorials on that? i only saw one or two) ha ha. Considering my short experience which i had with Zbrush/Maya in university, i guess i wouldnt like to rush into that, but perhaps try things with sliders first. Though i'm also under impression that slider approach is also time consuming (especially for recreating somebody?), even if it's considered "easier way" than sculpting.

Oh, and i would be glad to know comparison between which fugure has the most options currently hehe

Comments

• As an interesting example, lets take a look at Pix Venus500 by Pixeluna. https://www.daz3d.com/pix-venus500-for-genesis-8-female

Textures are pretty much the only thing custom about the figure; everything else is simply spinning dials and Geometry Shells. I have Pix Synx for G3F and have been considering getting Pix Cypher for G3M for a while, simply because of what she did with them.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2017

In my opinion Genesis 1 is still the most versatile and cost effective base figure. Here's a still from a music video in the making, rendered in 3Delight. These characters are all dialed in Genesis 1's, representing real people. I figure most people on here won't agree with me on this and that's cool. Everybody can do as they please. Whatever base you chose to work with you can easely create your own characters, just get yourself some good morphpacks and get creative;)

Armadis Rama 6.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929
    edited November 2017

I use a mix of dfferent characters from the store and the morph dials, the characters are mainly to have different skin sets available, the rest is morph dialing.

one of my best "real character"

another one I cerated this way:

one for the girls, added my own freckles mask fo her, she is g2 the otehr ones were g3

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Here are a few of my morph dial custom characters.
    First one is Genesis 3 Female

The next one is Genesis 8 Female

JamesJAB said:

Love this character, nice one!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,943

...usually until the end of happy ho

Linwelly said:

I use a mix of dfferent characters from the store and the morph dials, the characters are mainly to have different skin sets available, the rest is morph dialing.

one of my best "real character"

...really like this character Almost looks like someone I know.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

To the OP, you are overthinking it, just get in there and play with the morph sliders. Granted there are more options when using a modeling app, but before zbrush became popular, most addon characters, especially with V4 were done using the sliders.

This is a great addon for applting morphs randomly https://www.daz3d.com/simtenero-randomizer it does an amazing job at using all or specific morphs only to create some great characters

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

To the OP,

If you are looking to sell your own characters, then there are guide lines on the merchant resources and the base figures.

If you are looking to just dial up your own custom characters for use in your art, then the skys the limit.

In my opinion Genesis 1 is still the most versatile and cost effective base figure. Here's a still from a music video in the making, rendered in 3Delight. These characters are all dialed in Genesis 1's, representing real people. I figure most people on here won't agree with me on this and that's cool. Everybody can do as they please. Whatever base you chose to work with you can easely create your own characters, just get yourself some good morphpacks and get creative;)

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

imageimageYou are not wrong there.  But having such versatility crammed into one figure created a lot of problems.  So seperating the base figures again was the best solution.  That and its easier to make female clothing on a female shaped base.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I use characters from V4 all the way up to Gen8, they all have their pros and cons.  My avatar is a character created with the Sim Tenero Randomizer on G8F that was mentioned above, and the skin was done using Skinbuilder for G8F.  You can do a ton of stuff with just the sliders and a couple of good morph packs.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,821
    edited November 2017

"In my opinion Genesis 1 is still the most versatile and cost effective base
     figure. Here's a still from a music video in the making, rendered in 3Delight.
     These characters are all dialed in Genesis 1's, representing real people. 
    I figure most people on here won't agree with me on this and that's cool. 
    Everybody can do as they please. Whatever base you chose to work with 
    you can easely create your own characters,
     just get yourself some good morphpacks and get creative;)

+1 well said!! yes

I use both G1 & G2 only and dial in my own
    "real" looking people with morph sliders.

Arab woman 6 (1).jpg
    966 x 1080 - 365K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929

Wonderful character there @wolf359

Linwelly said:

Wonderful character there @wolf359

Second that!