Core Lighting 1 doesn't work with Iray?

Maybe? I'm not sure if this is a Core Lighting problem or an Iray problem. I suspect Iray.

When I render in Iray, no matter what lighting preset I use, the outcome is the same whether it's a dark or light "Core Lighting" preset. If I delete all the lights, then the render is also the same. It is illuminated even though there are no actual lights in the scene. I did turn off "Auto Headlamp" in my Iray render settings, but it didn't make a difference. The scene is still lit with some other lights that I can't find the source of.

I read somewhere that UberEnvironment lights are only for 3Delight. Is that true? I'd really rather use Iray. Are these lights incompatible with Iray or am I just missing some kind of setting or adjustment?

(This is my first time playing with lights, so it's bound to be something really simple and obvious)

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

UberEnvironment is indeed 3DL only, this set is not for Iray.

• Ohhhh, bummer. Thanks for the info! I must have missed where it said that. I'll try returning it to get an Iray set instead. Thanks a bunch!

• Core Lighting is a 3Delight lights set, yes - custom shaders (such as the uberLights) are specific to one engine in most cases.

• angstyg said:

I must have missed where it said that.

You didn't, because it doesn't. The set was made when 3Delight was the only option, so Iray isn't mentioned in the store page. And the store pages are very rarely updated to take note of whether something will still work in Iray, probably because there are just too many will-they-won't-they-work older items in the store — it would take a ridiculously long time to check everything.

• Ohhhhh. I didn't realize Iray was that new. That makes sense then.