Monique 8/Iray Skin

2»

Comments

• Yeah. Check out the SSS map. Unlike Monique, Darius has very even lightness across the entirety of his SSS maps, so they blunt the variation in his base texture. Monique has flattish SSS but still retains the lighter palms.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    j cade said:

and because it comes up often in these sorts of threads... proof raising translucency doesn't intrinsically and always darken the figure. In this render the figure has their translucency set all the way on. Yes. 100% translucency, and yet no massive red, no darkening, etc. (no maps because I was doing a lot of expirimenting and I wanted to see what was going on without any distraction)

(now because it uses all translucency and sss it is still quite slow to render)

What do the same settings look like with 0% translucency?

I mean it would depend what I put in the diffuse because the diffuse currently has no effect. I could have the diffuse pure black if I wanted and it would have no effect on the render. I will say though that if I stuck the same color in diffuse that I have in translucency it would be a bit lighter.

Mind you, I could also potentially lighten up the full translucency more, however, as I mentioned, things are fiddly and as I push the setting swarms of green fireflys tend to pop up

• j cade said:
    j cade said:

and because it comes up often in these sorts of threads... proof raising translucency doesn't intrinsically and always darken the figure. In this render the figure has their translucency set all the way on. Yes. 100% translucency, and yet no massive red, no darkening, etc. (no maps because I was doing a lot of expirimenting and I wanted to see what was going on without any distraction)

(now because it uses all translucency and sss it is still quite slow to render)

What do the same settings look like with 0% translucency?

I mean it would depend what I put in the diffuse because the diffuse currently has no effect. I could have the diffuse pure black if I wanted and it would have no effect on the render. I will say though that if I stuck the same color in diffuse that I have in translucency it would be a bit lighter.

Mind you, I could also potentially lighten up the full translucency more, however, as I mentioned, things are fiddly and as I push the setting swarms of green fireflys tend to pop up

Chromatic SSS is brooooooooooke. Drives me insane.

That's really interesting that the diffuse has no effect if you hit 100% translucency. I never tested to see.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited November 2017

...and I will also add that textures appear to behave differenty than plain colors, because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: or maybe it was a gamma thing... argh!

Post edited by j cade on