Support Assets and Grey Blocks

I've been trying to save a multi-part outfit as support asset clothing in Daz 4.10. My problem is this, the first item I save works fine and loads correctly. The second item I save works fine and loads correctly, but when I try to load the first item again, all I get are a bunch of grey blocks. I get no message saying anything is missing and I saved the exact same way as I always have in previous versions of Daz and never had a problem. I checked the data files and they appeared to be in order and are in their proper places.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing my issue?

Thank you!

Comments

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

I've found that this happens when I muck with my libraries/content between creating/saving a scene and loading it later.

I seems that some (poser-style?) elements of the scene are converted to a DAZ-happy duf format and cached to one of your available content/library folders (seems arbitrary to me, which) in a folder called ".../My Library/data/auto_adapted/..."

It then saves your scene with that version being referenced. If you change libraries (unmount them, for example), and then load that same saved scene, the blocks fill the place of the missing cached files.

The answer/fix for me (anyone else?), is to either be certain that all of the libraries that are used when you save the scene are available when you re-load/use the scene later. or... try to keep/move all of your library '.../data/auto_adapted/... contents to a library that is always available to your DS sessions. There may be a better way, but I don't know. Probably some 'save as program asset' sort of action that makes the converted version more permanent to your system in general.

clear as mud? - sorry - kind of hard to explain, but either making sure all of the libraries that you were using *when you saved the scene*, or putting all of those 'auto_adapted' folders in one place (have to do it every-so-often) solved the problem for me. I think it only does that when you load older poser content, and it converts them to its own local versions of DAZ dufs or something like that.

I would guess that loading a poser element, saving it as a scene subset, then using that in your scene would probably be doing the same thing without the mystical cache files.

hope this helps,

--ms

• Arah3DArah3D Posts: 31

Mindsong, thank you for the insights! I tweaked around with it some more, and discovered the root of my issue, Daz was naming all the items the same, therefore they must have been over-writing the data files. So if you change the item name specifically during the saving process that fixes the issue.

Thank you for your tips!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    Arah3D said:

Mindsong, thank you for the insights! I tweaked around with it some more, and discovered the root of my issue, Daz was naming all the items the same, therefore they must have been over-writing the data files. So if you change the item name specifically during the saving process that fixes the issue.

Thank you for your tips!

glad you found the issue and let us know what was going on! I'll remember your notes as well.

cheers,

--ms