OBJ to DAZ Format

Okay so if I want an obj file to have an associated thumbnail and be shown in Content Manager or Smart Content, so you can drag/drop into a scene, how do I do it? Thanks.

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,929

you have to import the thing and save as prop (support asset/figure, prop asset) this will save it in the content library in /my Libray/figures with icon like a saved file. you can drag and drop from there.

I never tried to move that into the normal library and I don't know how to make it show up in the smart content aside from the /saved files

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    Oh yeah I've done that before. I think i never went to the trouble of making a custom thumbnail and relied on whatever Studio gave which wasnt too good. So I guess I make my own PNG thumbnail with the same name?
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

I don't know if it works with older versions, as I don't have those to test it on, but I noticed that with the newest version of Daz you can go under Content Library >> Other Important Formats and "Add a Base Directory" to where your OBJ files are. Then the OBJ files show up there.

They don't have any icons, but you can add icons easily yourself by dropping a PNG image of the OBJ into the same file and give the PNG the same name as the OBJ. :)

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

I make my own thumbnails all the time, as I never like what comes out when it's done automatically... As long as it's the same size, a PNG, and has the same file name as the original thumbnail, it should work.

McGyver said:

I make my own thumbnails all the time, as I never like what comes out when it's done automatically... As long as it's the same size, a PNG, and has the same file name as the original thumbnail, it should work.

I noticed that with the newest versions of Daz the thumbnail doesn't need to be any particular size (it just has to be a PNG with the same name) - though I usually try to keep them below 300x300.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    McGyver said:

I noticed that with the newest versions of Daz the thumbnail doesn't need to be any particular size (it just has to be a PNG with the same name) - though I usually try to keep them below 300x300.

That's good to know. I just kept with the old way of doing it.  

Dang... 300x300... I haven't upgraded since two versions back... Before the DRM thing...

Does the new version display bigger thumbnails, or just use them?

• ajd_at_072df9a27dajd_at_072df9a27d Posts: 60
    edited December 2017

Post edited by ajd_at_072df9a27d on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    McGyver said:

It doesn't have to be the same size.

• McGyver said:

Larger thumbnails will slow the process down, however. Using a name.tip.png file for a alrger image, which will appear when you hover the mouse over the thumbnail, avoids that.

edited November 2017

Ahh....cool, it works nice. I just realized you can make sub-folders under "My Library" with whatever categories/names you want, and place all your converted obj's in there with associated PNG's. And I love you can have large PNG's that pop up when you hover.

Though I did have a lot of pain trying to figure out the difference between a Scene Asset and Scene Subset and Figure/Prop Asset and all of that. And I still haven't figured it out. It always confuses me. And even though I just did it successfully, for the life of me I can't remember which one I picked.............

Can anyone provide some rhyme or reason? I just want to save objects unrelated to a figure. Thanks.

Post edited by ebergerly on
    McGyver said:

Larger thumbnails will slow the process down, however. Using a name.tip.png file for a alrger image, which will appear when you hover the mouse over the thumbnail, avoids that.

Oh, I didn't know it slows things down. I'll try that instead. Thanks for the tip! (No pun intended.) :)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

A figure/prop asset is what you would choose to save an actual figure or static prop.

A scene subset file is simular to a saved scene except that only what is in the scene is available to be saved.  It is the best way to save out an entire scene or fully clothed character that you want to use to load in to future scenes without having to worry about Ds trying to close your excisting scene like it would if you use a saved scene instead.

• Another way of looking at it; a figure/prop asset must be only one object, while a scene subset can contain many objects, including previously saved assets. Usually the items in the DAZ store are saved as figure/prop assets.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

The recommended sizes from DAZ for PA products are 91x91 and 256x256.

When you save something to the library, the thumbnail will be named 'MyFile.duf.png'. If you name your own thmbnail 'MyFile.png', resaving won't overwrite your thumbnail, but the library will show the .duf.png. Delete that, and the library will show your .png thumbnail. The larger one should be named 'MyFile.tip.png' so it displays when you mouse over the thmbnail in the library.

Actually, you can insert anything you like into the .png extension. I've just finished a custom toolbar, and I wanted the icons to display in the Customise dialog at the small size, so I made icon thumbnails at 24x24, and named them 'whatever.24.png'. The library folder contains a set of 91x91 thumbnail .pngs which display normally in content, plus another set of .24.pngs which display in Customise. (If you use 91.91 .pngs, they display at the smaller size on a toolbar, but they look huge in the Customise dialog.)

I've been taking the lazy way out...

For example, I have an outdoor lounge chair I made in Blender. I just import into DAZ, save Figure/Prop Asset .duf, then in Iray viewport I get my have a standard lighting scene with black background, and I just use the W10 Snipping Tool to grab an image and save it over the "xxxx.duf.png" thumbnail. 

I don't even worry about image size. It seems to work fine, and when I hover over the thumbnail it gives me a nice big preview. 

That's pretty much my weekend chores...load my many OBJ files and then save them as .duf's with my custom PNG's, and sort them all in Content Library so it makes sense. 

LoungeCapture.PNG
    1018 x 762 - 316K