Invite suggestions for character sets for people of Central American heritage

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128
edited December 2017 in The Commons

Have a project that includes several people of Central American heritage.  While the region has had migrations from all over the world, the particular characters in this project are primarily descended from people residing in the region before 1492 even though they don't live there during the setting of the project.  Think Guatemala, but includes Central America more generally.  Curious to hear suggestions for character sets, shaping morphs, skin materials, and other resources in the Daz store.   Suggestions welcome for both females and males.

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

I don't know anything about the region, really, but the "traditional dress" of the Panama area looks really interesting and fun. :)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited December 2017

Here is a Pinterest page found via search:

https://www.pinterest.com/jasmynarcond/aztec-clothing/?lp=true

Pinterest suggestions should bring up similar pages too. I'm not sure though if Aztec or Incans or probably a mix had more influence. If you read the Pinterest pages it should help guide you. 

Most of it drapes very simply but can be quite intricate weaves (or maybe those patterns are a sort of wampum). I don't know the textiles or the looms available then but it looks like dForce combined with some simple modeling in Blender or Hexagon will take you far if you have any texturing skills at all.

Here is probably the best dForce sets of tutorials & tips to get you going for now:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more/p1

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128
    edited December 2017

Thank you for the pics, Diva and nonesuch.  Wonderful!  I was actually hoping for character suggestions from the Daz store, like we have for people whose heritage is from East Asia and Sub Saharan Africa.  However, the pic suggestions are also most welcome.

Many ethnic groups wear folk costumes for the St. Patrick's Day parade near me, including people from Central and South America.  When I get this project done, I'd love to revisit some of them.  The yet-to-do list just keeps growing.  Here is one of my favorites from St. Patrck's Day.  Too cute!

st pat.jpg
    400 x 600 - 120K
  • This https://www.daz3d.com/mayan-adventure-bundle is about as close as it gets to anything Central American in the daz store. And it is woefully inaccurate.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056
    edited December 2017

totally bazaar by Marieah is apparently no longer in this store but had aztec and other ethnic shaders

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Thank you, zombietaggerung (last time I am spelling that out smiley) and Wendy.  I see what you mean about the Zaniyah character set in the Mayan temple bundle.  At least it is on sale.  Might be a useful starting point.  Was able to locate Marieah's current location for totally bazaar so will investigate that as well.

edited December 2017

Hate it when prices change when assembling my cart!  I think a vendor or two must have rotated off the sale list while I was searching around.  Here is a product that I thought I might be able to use as a base, or blend with other products, or otherwise help with my project.  Then the price skyrocketed after I had loaded it in my cart.  sad  

anna awan bundle.JPG
    696 x 901 - 98K
  • Diomede said:

Hate it when prices change when assembling my cart!  I think a vendor or two must have rotated off the sale list while I was searching around.  Here is a product that I thought I might be able to use as a base, or blend with other products, or otherwise help with my project.  Then the price skyrocketed after I had loaded it in my cart.  sad  

there just was a glitch apparrently when some charcters went very cheap

Perhaps Benita or Nyarai

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750
    Diomede said:

That's a shame. Personally think those two make great starting points for  Central  American  characters, especially if you drop their V/M7 component down to about 50%

Of all the characters in the DAZ Store there are none with that shade of skin that I can recall. They live in rain forests back in those ancient days. 

I said this in another thread but the Tyrone Albino skin would make a good base color if one changed the transmission color to get the character color they need. There is unfortunately a few stray beard stubbles but they are not so noticible because the character is albino and so the beard stubble nearly matches the skin. Maybe Redz Studio will make a female character with a albino skin base as well eventually.

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

If you're open to using older figures, there's the M4/V4 Elite Ethnic Faces bundle, which incldues face and individual feature shapes for a South American Indian as well as northern Native American (and Inuit/Eskimo.) Combined with the DAZ face morphs, you could get a decent variety of faces types for both genders. If you're not keen on dialing faces, there's a vendor named Zaarin over at HiveWire who made a bunch of Native American face morphs for both M4 and V4 that uses those elite ethnic faces and DAZ morphs.

If it helps any, I did a quick render with a mix of South American and Native American faces, with a few minor tweaks to the nose, mouth, and eye shapes. The texture is Dakotah V4.

There's also the Ethnicity for Genesis bundle, but it only included a few Native American male/female base face shapes. It was a much more limited set of morph dials than the Generation 4 version.

EliteEthnicFacesV4.png
    887 x 847 - 731K
    edited December 2017

Thank you, Divasmakeup and mmalbert, for the product suggestions and the links.  Very helpful.  Surprised that I missed several of these.  I like them all, especially Benita and Samanyo.  And the render of Dakotah V4 textures with Genesis morphs is a wonderful illustration.  I was thinking something similar in combining textures maps from one generation with morphs from another.  There are a couple of other ethnicity products.  Just have to make sure I have the proper UV conversions.

https://www.daz3d.com/ej-ethnic-beauties-for-genesis-8-female-s

Really appreciate the settings tips, nonesuch and Pack58.  

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

excellent suggestions , thank you!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

If you're not looking for costumes, but daily wear you'll find that most people in those countries (at least in more urban areas) wear what we wear: jeans, polos, t-shirts, casual shoes and sneakers. I don't know why people assume these people wear costumes except for festivals and such.

Spit said:

I don't know why people assume these people wear costumes except for festivals and such.

Ummm As far as I can see, no one has made that assumption. 

Well I love folk costumes! I find the modern clothing boring and monotonous but by all means it is more practical for everyone to wear it functionality wise so I can't complain about that really.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Well I love folk costumes! I find the modern clothing boring and monotonous but by all means it is more practical for everyone to wear it functionality wise so I can't complain about that really.

Looking at the hats in the photo from Panama shows there are ways to give a national flavor to the characters you use.

Spit said:

Looking at the hats in the photo from Panama shows there are ways to give a national flavor to the characters you use.

Yes, those are embellishments of the traditional Iberian peninsula folk style. I wonder if those are real pearls though?!

​.Thank you all for continued suggestions.  Especially like the ones that are currently at a sale price.  yes

To get started on at least one man and woman, I did pick up the character packs for Anna HD for V7 and the accompanying Awan. (pics above)  They were individually still on sale, but the bundle was not, at least not in my cart.  I also picked up the ethnicity morph pack for G8F.  I will need some more people so I am very grateful for everyone's ideas.  Am busy comparing suggested items, and weighing their relatve costs.

Diomede said:

​.Thank you all for continued suggestions.  Especially like the ones that are currently at a sale price.  yes

To get started on at least one man and woman, I did pick up the character packs for Anna HD for V7 and the accompanying Awan. (pics above)  They were individually still on sale, but the bundle was not, at least not in my cart.  I also picked up the ethnicity morph pack for G8F.  I will need some more people so I am very grateful for everyone's ideas.  Am busy comparing suggested items, and weighing their relatve costs.

Good picks! :D I wish you luck with your project! 

Thank you, Divamakeup.  You went above and beyond the call of duty.  A couple of Daz PAs will owe you a commission, starting with Saiyaness.