Current support for cloud rendering?

I've been trying in vain to search for information on this. Everything I've read is a year old. What do I need to do to use cloud rendering with Daz Studio? Can I use Google's service? Most importantly, is it more cost effective than upgrading my video card?

Comments

• Iray, I assume, since you mention the GPU? DS does support Iray Server so try searching for that as a term - there have been some posts on it.

• Is anyone actually using it? It seems like the cost - $300/yr per machine in the cloud, plus the cost of the cloud - would be exorbitant.

• Is anyone actually using it? It seems like the cost - $300/yr per machine in the cloud, plus the cost of the cloud - would be exorbitant.

I know some people at Daz were using DS on a Surface pro for scene set-up, then passing that over to a real PC with Iray Server for rendering. $295 PA is nott hat much against what a lot of people spend on content.

I know some people at Daz were using DS on a Surface pro for scene set-up, then passing that over to a real PC with Iray Server for rendering. $295 PA is nott hat much against what a lot of people spend on content.

Yeah, but that brings me back to my most important question: cost effiectiveness. I'm only considering doing this because I only have a GTX 780. It's looking a lot like upgrading to a GTX 1080 - or even 1080 TI - would cost less in the long run.

• OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128

Is anyone actually using it? It seems like the cost - $300/yr per machine in the cloud, plus the cost of the cloud - would be exorbitant.

Yeah, but that brings me back to my most important question: cost effiectiveness. I'm only considering doing this because I only have a GTX 780. It's looking a lot like upgrading to a GTX 1080 - or even 1080 TI - would cost less in the long run.

Well i am afraid you are thinking of iray server the wrong way. Its not about you renting a server for the money you mentioned. Its about a license that allows you to run the server app somewhere else. Think of it as a possibility to use a tool, not a tool itself.

That means that you have to spend money on the external server in addition. If this is your Iray server, standing in the next room, or if this is a solution you "rent". This means that those 300$ are the small part of the bill. In fact Iray server makes absolutely no sense if you dont depend on rendering something somewhere else or, the only other case it makes sense, time is a problem and you have to render one scene at the time on many GPUs ( 5 or more) that wouldnt fit in your normal rendering rig. 

Conclusion. Buy a new GFX card.