Daz Studio 4.10 Iray compatible with a GPU Box?

Hi all,

I'm currently contemplating the purchase of a GPU box to speed up my Iray renders. Is Daz Studio 4.10 compatible with a GPU box system? If so, is it compatible with just any box as long as that holds Nvidia cards? And what results can I expect? If I add an identical GPU to the one I already have, to that box, will my render speed double? I do have two USB 3.1 type C ports on my motherboard to possibly connect a GPU Box.

Thanks a lot,

Me

Comments

• OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128

Hi all,

I'm currently contemplating the purchase of a GPU box to speed up my Iray renders. Is Daz Studio 4.10 compatible with a GPU box system? If so, is it compatible with just any box as long as that holds Nvidia cards? And what results can I expect? If I add an identical GPU to the one I already have, to that box, will my render speed double? I do have two USB 3.1 type C ports on my motherboard to possibly connect a GPU Box.

Thanks a lot,

Me

Sure it is compatible. Speed shoudnt be inpacted since iray is not depending on bandwith so much. 

• joseftjoseft Posts: 310

I did a little research on this a while ago.

Will it recognise the GPU? i -think- it will, as long as the operating system recognises it. I believe there would be a few factors that could come into play in this area, motherboard, drivers etc

Will it double render speed? No it wont. USB type C is only capable of 10gb/s , whereas a GPU plugged into a PCI3.0 in an x16 slot i believe is 32gb/s.

Gigabyte do an external GTX 1070 in its own box that uses a Thunderbolt 3 connection. Thunderbolt 3 supports 40gb/s, but your motherboard has to have a thunderbolt 3 port which i dont believe is very widely adopted yet and only the high end boards will have it

• Hi! Thanks for the replies! If speed is an issue due to the usb 3.1 type C port, could that be avoided by adding an expansion card that has thunderbolt ports? (If I do that, will it then double the speed?)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited December 2017

I use a Alienware Graphics Amplifier 17 that I bought from Dell . Its external and it connects though USB 3.0 I paid $259 through dell last spring it does not include gpu's   http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-graphics-amplifier/apd/452-bcfe/gaming

it runs on windows 7,8,and 10 & hold either  NIVIDA or AMD and a back up SSD .I run mine on MS server 2012  .  But check for compatibility there are system requirements.  I am running 2 Titans 980its card  the gpu it self does not stack up as much as I was hoping and it does not support SLi .  but the GPU ram will  so even though I did not gain as much speed from stacking  the cuda cores, I will be able to stack muliply GPU ram greatly allowing for much larger scenes to be created & rendered for animation. thats how I get away with my iray animations.

Its not the best set up,  there are others that  are much better cost more. But this fit what I needed which something I could upgrade gpu's in with out having to upgrade my PC server every time new GPU come out .. this was the best solution for me.. the Graphics Amplifier I bought will hold up to 4 gpu cards. But dell did have bigger boxes they just cost alot more. I do recomened getting extra cooling fans  if you get the bigger boxes the small ones you can not add fans too

Everyone has a different need for a renderig set up . this one was my route i went I already had the 2- 980ti's but it will run pascal as  well as maxwell tec.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Thanks for the reply! I know I'm nagging now, but as far as speed goes, did you see any increase at all?

Thanks a lot,

Me

edited December 2017

I had about a 18% increase in render speed using the daz iray bench mark. not as much as I was hoping for when i bought it

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Thanks! 18% does not appear to be that much... You say this device holds up to 4 GPU's, I can't seem to find that in the specs. It says it can only hold one... Or am I lookking at the wrong product?

Any idea as to why the speed does not increase that much?

Thanks a lot,

Me

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

The render speed increase depends also on the GPU's you have, and the ones you're adding. Here's a list of the render times for different GPU's that people are reporting with the DAZ Iray benchmark scene. 

Benchmark.jpg
    382 x 431 - 40K
    edited December 2017

I assume its because I have it connected to my windows server using a Alienware notebook to control to my server commands . it was the only way  to connect it to my pc  this box was designed origanlly for notebooks and lap tops . the Alienware box 17 hold 4 card, Alienware 13 only holds one  you need to shop dell site to find the bigger boxes.  i just pulled up this page to show you the box.( you might get a better deal on amoazon I would check.  like i said its not the best, this was my cheapo way of making a render server and still be able to use my laptop and pc at the same time.  my lap top is windows 10, 2.6 ghz  my PC server is Intel I7 Ivy bridge 3700 3.6 ghz   I connect it through a dlink usb3 hub to my PC using my laptop. it allows me to build scenes on my laptop while I am rendering on my pc, to speed up my work flow like a render farm with out haviing a dredded yearly NIVIDA server license

it was just my work around and if you have a less powerful gpu in your laptop you want to render on this, is the really the best option.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Thanks for the replies! I'm currently rendering using two Titan X cards which sit directly in my PC. I would like to add two more, but I don't have the room inside the PC, so I thought about using two GPU boxes to hold them. Yet I have found a new problem with this: it would appear that pcie expansion cards that have two thunderbolt three ports are not that easy to find... Any one have an idea where these can be found, if they exist? Also, Titan X cards (Pacal version) are very rare too these days... Especially if you need them to ship to Belgium...

Thanks a lot,

Me

edited December 2017

this is how my office set up looks. I use 2 monitors and a lap top connected to a Home server with 3 other pc's connected to it besides my lap top.   you can see my huge gpu box beside my my 2500 watt uninterrupted power supply that runs the the whole system sitting on the floor under my desk  it sounds like a jet engine running when I am rendering..lol I use a D-link USB 3.0  6 port hub for my connections

I also have a huge external hard drive box that I got at iBUYPOWER..COM  that holds 4 - 2tb HHD drives and 2 1tb SSD with the set up we have  we'er just one step away from full blown render farm & having to get a gpu license to run it so this why i went this route. its all about the money

Img_2100.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 140K
    Img_2102.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 151K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • That is awesome. Using a vcr, as a monitor stand. I have done the same thing over the years. Awesome set up there. 

That is awesome. Using a vcr, as a monitor stand. I have done the same thing over the years. Awesome set up there. 

actually I had some old vhs tapes I put on dvd and I didn;t have enough room on my desk so I stuck under monitor #1 .its hard to play racing games with the monitors uneven though.

• Hi,

In my search for a good GPU box, I have come across these so called "mining rigs" to get Bitcoins. Provided you get an Nvidia based rig, could that be used to speed up rendering?

Thanks a lot,

Me