How Can I Find My Remaining Balance on Gift Card?

Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
edited December 1969 in The Commons

The subject says it all.

Currently, I know of no way to go see what's left so that I can budget accordingly. Is there a self-help way for me to do this?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2014

Presumably you added the gift card to your account, so you then have it stored as "Store Credit" So check in your account Dasboard under Store credit to see how much you have left

You find it under "more" in the list across the top of your dashboard

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited April 2014

That did it, thanks! Well, I should clarify that it wasn't in "Store Credit", but I found it in "Gift Cards" below that, and just entered the number for balance and expiration date. In any event, I got the info I needed.

Followup question:

I bought the gift card in February when there was a 10% discount, which effectively stacks with any sales or PC discounts. So when I am ready to make another purchase of a discounted GC, can I reload this card or will it result in the purchase of a new GC with a new number?

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
    edited December 1969

You can't use a gift card or store credit to purchase another gift card

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited April 2014

That did it, thanks! Well, I should clarify that it wasn't in "Store Credit", but I found it in "Gift Cards" below that, and just entered the number for balance and expiration date. In any event, I got the info I needed.

Followup question:

I bought the gift card in February when there was a 10% discount, which effectively stacks with any sales or PC discounts. So when I am ready to make another purchase of a discounted GC, can I reload this card or will it result in the purchase of a new GC with a new number?

It's a virtual GC - you can't load more money onto it. (I think. Even if you could, it wouldn't be at the 10% discount unless there was a GC sale on.)
    Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

That's not what I was asking.

It's a virtual GC - you can't load more money onto it. (I think. Even if you could, it wouldn't be at the 10% discount unless there was a GC sale on.)

This is the answer to what I was asking; thank you.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

That's not what I was asking.

This is the answer to what I was asking; thank you.

I was uncertain what it was you were asking, as gift certificates are just that, even when you buy them for yourself, so if you want another one you buy another one. Gift certificates, gift cards, call them what you will, have never been any different to that on DAZ 3D. Thus I assumed that by reloaded you meant that you would use the code you had to buy another card, which was why I told you it couldn't be done.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,425
    edited December 1969

A Gift Certificate is a way to get store credit. Once you have turned it into store credit the certificate has no value, though you can I think redeem them piecemeal by entering the code on checkout.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    edited December 1969

A Gift Certificate is a way to get store credit. Once you have turned it into store credit the certificate has no value, though you can I think redeem them piecemeal by entering the code on checkout.

But, since it is only valid here at DAZ it is (IMHO) better to just redeem it as soon as it shows up in the email. Among other things you will always see the current balance at checkout - and get the option of paying with the store credit or using your credit card or paypal account.

edited December 1969

Hi Everybody!

Chohole, no problem and thank you for your clarification. As is apparent to me now, the DAZ "Gift Card" is more like "Gift Certificate", even though it is shown as though it were a plastic card.

And it's the plastic card motif that confused me a bit. Here in the US, credit cards, banks, and major retailers who distribute plastic Gift Cards actually do let you "reload" those cards with additional cash. Examples: Visa Gift Card and Olive Garden (an Italian restaurant chain here with others operated by a company named Darden). Those cards are more than just certificates; these actually "hold money" and they offer you the ability to add money to the card, which was my question.

My hope is that if this were possible, then it would reduce the number of card numbers I must manage, thereby simplifying my life as a customer.

Richard, yes you can use the DAZ "certificate" on multiple purchases until the value is completely gone to zero. In this way, the DAZ GC (Gift Certificate) actually behaves more like a "Gift Card", because historically, Gift Certificates work out as "one time" use devices, and cash is given to make up the difference.

Example: I get a cert for $100 and my bill comes to $95. I might get change back in the form of $5 in cash. The retailer and I are now "even" and the cert is now void.

Example: I get a cert for $100 and my bill comes to $105. I pay the difference of $5 cash and of course I've used up the entire value of the cert, so it's now void.

But with Gift Cards (actual cards), I can load them with more cash.

Anyway, thank you all for helping me clear this up.

Nammfuak, I agree that it's not wise to leave large dollar amounts out there, and that's why I will buy a DAZ GC usually when I know I'm going to spend close to that amount in the next couple weeks (such as during a big month-long promotion). Buying DAZ Store Credit when it is discounted by 10% or more actually gives me an additional discount which ends up "stacking" on top of whatever promotion or PC discount I'm already getting.

Of course, this depends on a few important considerations:

1. DAZ is still around when I want to cash it in

2. I don't keep a balance on the DAZ card for longer than a year (because it will expire and then I won't realize any savings)

3. I have no credit card debt (because 10% discount on DAZ card will never come close to credit card interest rates which are often >25%)

Anyway, thanks again!

edited December 1969

Store credit doesn't expire

edited December 1969

Yes, but this is listed as a "Gift Card" (the source of all my confusion before) and on my account page it does indeed show an expiration date:

Gift Card: xxxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxx

Current Balance: $somefigure

Expires: 2/28/15 <----- does expire.</p>

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

Store credit and gift card are two different things. once you redeem a gift card it turns into store credit which doesn't expire. So you basically have a year to redeem the gift card. Once done that total is there till you use it

edited December 1969

I can see by this forum thread that this confusion is not only mine. Well, I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I'm a geek and that's what we do best, so...

When I make a purchase, I plug the GC number in on the appropriate shopping cart page and it deducts from the shopping cart balance due for that transaction. Thus far for the couple transactions I've made, it dropped the balance due down to zero.

For clarity: I do not "convert" anything to "store credit", or at least that's not my perception. Instead, I give the GC number at checkout for an immediate credit of the pending transaction in my shopping cart. That's it, that's how it works for me. All I know is that I do not have to give my paypal or credit card info for these transactions because my balance is zero and I just go confirm the purchase and then get my stuff with DIM.

On my account's "Gift Cards" lookup page, this card STILL shows an expiration date of 2/28/15 on my account page and that page reports that it still has a nearly $70 balance remaining. You all can tell me over and over that it has no expiration, but I must go by this page (which again, is the Gift Card lookup page, not the Store Credit page) for the final word. And this page shows both balance remaining and expiration date.

I'm okay with an expiration date for Gift Cards, by the way. There's always something I can buy even when I don't.

So maybe more questions will help clear this up in the long run:

What is the difference between Gift Cards and Store Credit?

Is there indeed a way to convert Gift Cards to Store Credit?

If yes, then is there a benefit to doing this (other than no expiration date)?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    edited December 1969

Well, I'll take a stab at this -

Gift Cards and Store Credit can both be used for purchases of content of any kind, from any vendor, at the DAZ store.

Gift Cards have an expiration date; store credit does not. At least, I don't think a store credit expires - mine never last more than a month or two anyway. :-)

To convert a Gift Card into a store credit you can - A) click on the Gift Card code in the email, or B) go to My Account -> Other -> Gift Card. If you click on the Gift Card code it will be filled in on this page, other wise just copy and paste it in. Then click on 'Redeem Gift Card' and it converts into a Store Credit.

Once it converts to Store Credit it becomes available as a payment method in step 2 of checkout - you can pay on any order with the store credit, your previously entered credit card, or PayPal. The balance on the store credit is shown on this page. And you don't have to keep track of the gift card code or the balance.

edited December 1969

See, we just needed to leave it to the guy with the fancy headgear to make it all clear!

And it's also obvious to me now what that button "Redeem Gift Card" means. I guess it just gives flexibility of having an alternate payment method. And a thought too... for husband/wife teams, might want to keep it as a GC so they could use it for either account back and forth. Might be better than committing it to store credit which would attach it to one particular logon account until the value is completely depleted.