Is there a fairly easy way to bend a primitive plane in daz?

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I want a plane to bend around the corner of a wall. Is there any way I can do that within daz?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,425
    edited December 1969

Use a DForm - scale the field up to be really large across the plane so that all vertices are a uniform colour, position the base on the axis you want to bend about, and rotate the actual DForm (parented to the base). You could also use a weight map on the DForm, using the Node Weight Brush Tool to drag a gradient over the bending area. Your plane does, of course, need to have enough divisions to support the bend.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787
    edited December 1969

Use a DForm - scale the field up to be really large across the plane so that all vertices are a uniform colour, position the base on the axis you want to bend about, and rotate the actual DForm (parented to the base). You could also use a weight map on the DForm, using the Node Weight Brush Tool to drag a gradient over the bending area. Your plane does, of course, need to have enough divisions to support the bend.

I only gave it 100 divisions when I made it, not realizing my 'tape' would end up wrapping around the corner of the wall, lol. You think that's enough? I've used deformers for little fixes here and there, so had an idea that that's what I'd need, but didn't know if it would make a straight, sharp bend.

edited December 1969

For a really sharp bend it should be enough to have a division where you want the bend - but even for a soft bend I'd thing 100 would be enough (you can always convert to SubD, then set the type to Sharp Edges and Corners so it doesn't round the corners of your plane or steal the outer rows of polygons).

edited December 1969

For a really sharp bend it should be enough to have a division where you want the bend - but even for a soft bend I'd thing 100 would be enough (you can always convert to SubD, then set the type to Sharp Edges and Corners so it doesn't round the corners of your plane or steal the outer rows of polygons).

Now THAT, I've never done, lol. I'll give it a go. :D How do I convert to SubD, then set the type to Sharp Edges and Corners?

edited December 1969

Edit>Object>Geometry>Convert to SubD..., the settings are under Mesh Resolution in the Parameters pane.

edited December 1969

Edit>Object>Geometry>Convert to SubD..., the settings are under Mesh Resolution in the Parameters pane.

So I create a deform after I convert it?

edited December 1969

Before or after - the SubD will be applied after all other modifications, including the DForm, regardless of the order in which those modifiers were created.