Hair loads as a Grey block?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

I'm trying to load hair onto a figure, but it loads as a grey block.

As an aside, almost everything I load asks "what product was this originally intended for"?  It's getting rather tiresome. I wish there was a simpler way of knowing what product will work with what figure. And for that matter what Genesis Number a given figure is. 

Comments

• Peter_DAPeter_DA Posts: 47

Buying content at the DAZ shop there is an information "Compatible figures". There you can see the figure, for that the content is made. But when you see only a grey block by loading hair (or clothes) there is missing something DAZ Studio will load in the background. Did you install all the stuff containing to the hair into the right folders (data / People / runtime) ?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,013

What hair is that, and which version of DS do you use?

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

I use the install manager to install so I assume it installed everything. The problem with the compatible figures section is that is typically just lists the Genesis number. And yet there are many figures that go by names and have no Genesis number that I can find. Is Toon Generations 2 a Genesis 2, 3 or 37 figure?

Deke said:

I use the install manager to install so I assume it installed everything. 

You might be missing some required products, or some package might have the wrong tags so your DIM didn't install it, or it might be installed in the wrong place (that happens sometimes).

So can you tell us what hair you're trying to load? And is that regular hair, dForce hair? 

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Toon Generations 2 clearly states it is for Genesis 3.  What hair and version # of Studio?

edited July 2020

I'm trying to load the Sanny Hair from the Sanny Character onto a Toon Generations 2 figure.

https://www.daz3d.com/sanny-character-with-dforce-hair-and-expressions-for-genesis-8-female

And I use a mix of version 4.10 and version 4.12....the latter doesn't recognize my GPUs so I have to render in 4.10.

Post edited by Deke on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    Deke said:

I'm trying to load the Sanny Hair from the Sanny Character onto a Toon Generations 2 figure.

https://www.daz3d.com/sanny-character-with-dforce-hair-and-expressions-for-genesis-8-female

And I use a mix of version 4.10 and version 4.12....the latter doesn't recognize my GPUs so I have to render in 4.10.

Dont think dforce hair will work in 4.10.

If 4.12 is not recognising your GPU it may be because you don't have the most up todate drivers

No, dForce hair won't work at all in 4.10, that was introduced in 4.11.

In 4.12 the hair loads as a white element that is invisible against the white background. And I can't seem to move the hair into position on the figure's head.

• I have the same issue, HS Sanny hair is total white in the viewport, and impossible to render no matter how I set up the materials, render settings.

• rrllimrrllim Posts: 6
    edited April 2021

RE : Roaring 20s Bob for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

Hello there, can anyone help me ?

I'd just bought the above mentioned, downloaded via DAZ3DIM.

however , when i load it, the hair loaded as a grey block?  

need advise on how to rectify this situation.

thanks

mod edit to use Store link

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 10.46.31 PM.png
    1416 x 1412 - 1M
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • As above, which version of Daz Studio is this?

Hi Richard,

my Daz Studio version is 4.10.0.123 Pro Edition (64-bit)

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Link to the actual product page not to your product library

edited April 2021

rrllim said:

RE : Roaring 20s Bob for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females

Hello there, can anyone help me ?

I'd just bought the above mentioned, downloaded via DAZ3DIM.

however , when i load it, the hair loaded as a grey block?  

need advise on how to rectify this situation.

thanks

This is dForce hair, as mentioned above you need at least DS 4.11 to use it.

Post edited by Leana on

@Leana, thanks for your kind reply. My version of Daz3d is 4.10.0.123 Pro Edition(64-Bit),using DAZ3DIM to download the content.

I'd just downbloaded DazCentral to upgrade, all previous downloads are there. However i couldnt find the CONTENT LIBRARY/SMART CONTENT in the latest Daz3D 4.15.0.2 Pro Edition(64-bit).

Can you kindly advise what should i do?

thanks

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 2.02.10 PM.png
    948 x 1718 - 1M
    Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 2.03.09 PM.png
    956 x 586 - 530K
  • That looks like a bad installation, as if the aactual plug-in files were not updated - if you check Help>About Installed Plug-ins I think you will see lots of red plug icons. Try uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, although it wouldn't affect the content panes, make sure DS has been fed its serial number.