Looking to pay someone to create a character for me for a children's book

I need a DAZ character created for a children's book I am working on. If there is anyone willing to create such a character, what would be the cost, how long would it take, and what would you need as images to create the character?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Is it 2 or 3D?

Do you have exclusive rights to it, or would you allow for it to be sold?

Do you have any concept art?

Otherwise, please describe the character it more detail; human, humanoid or something else.

You info is a little  to vague for someone to give you an idea off-the-bat.

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,033

Are you looking for this character to be illustrated once? Multiple times? To interact with other characters? To be drawn against a white background? A fully drawn scene? 

depending on the answer to those and other questions, I might be able to help

• onixonix Posts: 282

This is not that hard to do. I usually create custom characters for pretty much every occasion when I need them. the main goal is to make the character looks reflect character type properly. Already premade characters are not exactly suited for that.

If necessary I can help maybe even for free, but of course, I need more details.

• rnollmanrnollman Posts: 310

Is it 2 or 3D?

I need a fully functional DAZ Studio compliant 3D character. I will also add, that if the price is reasonable, I probably will need additional characters over time. 

I do not need exclusive rights to it, but please provide prices for both, exclusive and allowing it to be sold. I suppose it would be prudent to have exclusive rights to the character to avoid anyone using the character for purposes that I do not approve of.

No. I just want to be able to manipulate the character in three dimensions because it will be the main character of the book. Rght now I am only working on the text.

Otherwise, please describe the character it more detail; human, humanoid or something else.

The character is human.

Are you looking for this character to be illustrated once? Multiple times? To interact with other characters? To be drawn against a white background? A fully drawn scene? 

Illustrated multiple times to be drawn against a white background and as a fully functional DAZ figure interacting with other DAZ figure using DAZ Studio. 

This is not that hard to do. I usually create custom characters for pretty much every occasion when I need them. the main goal is to make the character looks reflect character type properly. Already premade characters are not exactly suited for that.  If necessary I can help maybe even for free, but of course, I need more details.

Exactly what I want. I would not ask you to do it for free. Free never seems to work out very well. A DAZ artist should be paid for his or her work.

Please be specific about what details you need from me. I will supply high-resolution pictures for the project.

• onixonix Posts: 282

rnollman said:

Is it 2 or 3D?

I need a fully functional DAZ Studio compliant 3D character. I will also add, that if the price is reasonable, I probably will need additional characters over time. 

I do not need exclusive rights to it, but please provide prices for both, exclusive and allowing it to be sold. I suppose it would be prudent to have exclusive rights to the character to avoid anyone using the character for purposes that I do not approve of.

No. I just want to be able to manipulate the character in three dimensions because it will be the main character of the book. Rght now I am only working on the text.

The character is human.

Illustrated multiple times to be drawn against a white background and as a fully functional DAZ figure interacting with other DAZ figure using DAZ Studio. 

This is not that hard to do. I usually create custom characters for pretty much every occasion when I need them. the main goal is to make the character looks reflect character type properly. Already premade characters are not exactly suited for that.  If necessary I can help maybe even for free, but of course, I need more details.

Exactly what I want. I would not ask you to do it for free. Free never seems to work out very well. A DAZ artist should be paid for his or her work.

Please be specific about what details you need from me. I will supply high-resolution pictures for the project.

I sent you a PM

• rnollmanrnollman Posts: 310

Second try. Is there anyone who would be willing to create a custom character based on my niece, who is 8 years old, for a childrens' book I am writing? 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

I would try contacting TritiumCG over at Deviant Art if you haven't already.  I don't know that they've done children, but they do customs character morphs, mostly of celebrities.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,322
    edited January 2021

There are a few products in the Growing Up series that could help you get you fairly close to an 8 year old character for Genesis 8. You would then just have to use a 5-6 photographs of the actual face to make the face texture as accurate as possible. 

Growing Up Faces for Genesis 3 & 8 Female(s) | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

Growing Up Bundle for Genesis 8 Female(s) and Male(s) | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

And a search for growing up various generations.

Daz 3D | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 898

I might be able to, if you still need someone. smiley I would be interested in getting more info on the project. I sent you a PM. 

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited January 2021

rnollman said:

- a fully functional DAZ Studio compliant 3D character. I will also add, that if the price is reasonable, I probably will need additional characters over time. 

able to manipulate the character in three dimensions because it will be the main character of the book. Rght now I am only working on the text.

I would charge for about $350-400 USD (curious nobody give you a toll/quota for their services) for your full character but I'm full with commisions from Dubai Architects, but, I can give you some tips regardless you don't ask for it:

I'm very sincere with this: All people gonna sell you a product already available here in daz, probably with paid morphs, gonna tell you it takes about 1 week for disguise the process of buy their products, not going to modell anything and going to sell you the cost of their new products, and beware of license costs you are going to pay...for them.

For the dude who was giving a service for free, that is so wrong, free hurts the 3D Industry and many others like Graphical Design, don't ever do that again, like the OP said "Free never seems to work out very well

My suggestion: hire a true 3D modeller on Fiverr and avoid any work below $350 USD

Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

Zilvergrafix said:

For the dude who was giving a service for free, that is so wrong, free hurts the 3D Industry and many others like Graphical Design, don't ever do that again, like the OP said "
    Free never seems to work out very well

I disagree. Most users here view this as a hobby and not a business, so in that aspect there is nothing wrong with helping others out for free as long as no eulas are broken.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,013
    edited January 2021

FSMCDesigns said:

Zilvergrafix said:

For the dude who was giving a service for free, that is so wrong, free hurts the 3D Industry and many others like Graphical Design, don't ever do that again, like the OP said "

I disagree. Most users here view this as a hobby and not a business, so in that aspect there is nothing wrong with helping others out for free as long as no eulas are broken.

yes I also disagree. Free doesn't hurt anybody. Judging by the number of times people have downloaded my free stuff and never paid a dime, never once did anybody ever claim to be hurting!

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Catherine3678ab said:

FSMCDesigns said:

Zilvergrafix said:

yes I also disagree. Free doesn't hurt anybody. Judging by the number of times people have downloaded my free stuff and never paid a dime, never once did anybody ever claim to be hurting!

There's a lot of amazing stuff available for free, but those are things people make for enjoyment that they're willing to share.  You don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  It's different when it's about making something to order and specification, and when the person ordering and the person making the thing don't know each other.  In the latter case not just any old nag will do.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571

...having difficulty in seeing how this would work without having the same content and resource products used in creating the character on the machine it is to be imported onto unless the character were converted to a .obj.  However then all rigging, morphing (like expressions and hair movement) as well as autofit would no longer work.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,465

kyoto kid said:

...having difficulty in seeing how this would work without having the same content and resource products used in creating the character on the machine it is to be imported onto unless the character were converted to a .obj.  However then all rigging, morphing (like expressions and hair movement) as well as autofit would no longer work.

Why wouldn't it work?

I have exported several characters as obj and imported back as a full body morph and they work like any other figure morph. 

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

kyoto kid said:

You would set it up the same as any other character for sale where it requires the same base and/or character (if you use like, say, Victoria 8). If you use any merchant resources, you'll need to follow the rules for that product. If you make your own morphs, like in ZBrush, it can be easier. Again, what you make needs to require the use of the Daz figure upon which it's been based in order to work Creating an .obj would not work.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited January 2021

..so, what if say, it's built on the G3F base figure but employs a mix of two character body shapes and two character head shapes?  For example a mix of Teen Princess Leila with Clarice for the body and Tween Julie7 with MIka 7 for the head?  Wouldn't all four characters be needed to avoid errors on loading? 

Also, what about resources like Breast Control. Growing Up, NPMs for Victoria 7, 200 Head Morphs for G3F,  Skin Builder Pro2, UHT2 Hair Salon 2, and whatever was imported in through GenX2?

I do all my custom character development for my llustration work using figure and merchant resource content from Daz.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:

..so, what if say, it's built on the G3F base figure but employs a mix of two character body shapes and two character head shapes?  For example a mix of Teen Princess Leila with Clarice for the body and Tween Julie7 with MIka 7 for the head?  Wouldn't all four characters be needed to avoid errors on loading? 

Also, what about resources like Breast Control. Growing Up, NPMs for Victoria 7, 200 Head Morphs for G3F,  Skin Builder Pro2, UHT2 Hair Salon 2, and whatever was imported in through GenX2?

All that stuff needs to be negotiated between the person commissioning the project and the person doing the work.  There are all kinds of products at the Daz store and Renderosity that require third-party stuff like Growing Up and specific morph packages. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

Why wouldn't it work?

I have exported several characters as obj and imported back as a full body morph and they work like any other figure morph. 

Exporting as obj then reimporting as a new morph has the drawback that you're losing all the correction morphs from the individual morphs you used.

Besides, unless the morphs you used are merchant resources specifically allowing you to do that, you're not allowed to share that new morph since it's a derivative of other people's products but doesn't require their products anymore.

kyoto kid said:

I do all my custom character development for my llustration work using figure and merchant resource content from Daz.

It would need to be set up so that the person needs to own and use the base and two character shapes. That's why when you create your morph, you reverse deform so it strips out those three and leaves only what makes up your morph. As far as the morph resources, it depends on what they require, some would work like the face morph where you reverse out the resources. If you add no morph sculpting of your own, you could probably do presets that will work when they own and use the same items you used to make your morphs. You just need to carefully read the conditions under which you use the merchant resources and contact the creator if you have any doubts, to be safe. Presets for UHT.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

kyoto kid said:

Yes, they would.

That's the same for all resources: unless they're specifically listed as merchant resources that you can distribute (as is or as part of a baked morph) then the person you are sharing the character with has to own the products you used.

GenX-ed morphs are even more of a problem, as simply owning the original won't give you the data files needed to use the converted version.

Leana said:

kyoto kid said:

Yes, they would.

That's the same for all resources: unless they're specifically listed as merchant resources that you can distribute (as is or as part of a baked morph) then the person you are sharing the character with has to own the products you used.

GenX-ed morphs are even more of a problem, as simply owning the original won't give you the data files needed to use the converted version.

Thanks for stepping in on the Gen-X stuff. I didn't know how to respond to that.

Leana said:

PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

Why wouldn't it work?

Exporting as obj then reimporting as a new morph has the drawback that you're losing all the correction morphs from the individual morphs you used.

Besides, unless the morphs you used are merchant resources specifically allowing you to do that, you're not allowed to share that new morph since it's a derivative of other people's products but doesn't require their products anymore.

Quite often, getting rid of the corrective morphs is an added bonus, but depends of course on how extreme is the change, the ones I have done for my personal/private use have had no problems.

If products from other creators would be used, then it would need to be a merchant resource or have interactive license.

• PerttiA said:

Leana said:

PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

Why wouldn't it work?

Quite often, getting rid of the corrective morphs is an added bonus, but depends of course on how extreme is the change, the ones I have done for my personal/private use have had no problems.

If products from other creators would be used, then it would need to be a merchant resource or have interactive license.

The Interactive Licenses do not allow the sharing of content as content, they allow content to be embedded in a game or other software title (that isn't used to create renders).

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

The Interactive Licenses do not allow the sharing of content as content, they allow content to be embedded in a game or other software title (that isn't used to create renders).

So, if I had a store bought morph (Potato Nose) with an interactive licence, used that morph to modify the geometry of the base figure at 1-100% strength, exported the morphed figure as an OBJ to further modify the geometry in a modelling program and imported the final geometry back as a full body morph, the full body morph could not be sold or distributed even when I had the Interactive Licence for the (Potato Nose) morph?... 

• PerttiA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

So, if I had a store bought morph (Potato Nose) with an interactive licence, used that morph to modify the geometry of the base figure at 1-100% strength, exported the morphed figure as an OBJ to further modify the geometry in a modelling program and imported the final geometry back as a full body morph, the full body morph could not be sold or distributed even when I had the Interactive Licence for the (Potato Nose) morph?... 

That's correct. The Interactive License does NOT turn any product into a Merchant Resource.

• Catherine3678ab said:

PerttiA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

That's correct. The Interactive License does NOT turn any product into a Merchant Resource.

What you could do is import with Reverse Deformations so that your custom moprh did not include the third-party morph, and then anyone wanting to use your character sjpae wiould need both your morph and the Potato Nose morph. That would not require the Interactice License.