Improve Search Forums

Search Forums is almost unbearable to use in that it searches all of the forums rather than the one that I am usually interested in searching.  Add a Search Forum capabaility to each forum.  Also, make the search function a boolean AND search and not a boolean OR search.  If I search for two (or more) words at the same time (Carrara content) for example, the search (of all forums) returns any post with either word (or both).  What I want are only those posts with both words.

Also, upgrade the search function to report how many posts a search returns.  At present, one has no idea how many pages of posts the Next button will produce.

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited January 2021

when a website doesn't offer a search algorithm that fits your needs, use the search engine that kind of proved its efficiency by the pertinence of its results : Google...

For example.

site:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/ straight hair 

or

site:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/ "unbearable to use"

This works for any website on the web that doesn't block Google's bots/crawlers/spiders.

If everyone could code a search engine that efficient, every website's owner would be multi-billionaire. To never be frustrated again by a serch engine : simply never use websites search engines (I don't, ever).

Instead, learn how to use some of the Google Advanced Search Operators that (sadly) 99% of people don't even know about. 

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 476

Thanks for your reply.  I used to advise my community college math students that if they were going to use Google for a search that they should use the enhanced capabilities available in Advanced Search. I don't know how many of them actually followed my advice, though.  I used to use enclose a search phrase in quotation marks since that normally forces a Boolean AND search, but, like you stated, its effectiveness depends on how the search engine was coded.  In times past, I've tried doing that in DAZ3D searches but it seemed to be of no use.  I just tried a test search again and it seemed to be quite effective.  Perhaps DAZ3D has recoded its search engine.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited January 2021

To never be frustrated again by a serch engine : simply never use websites search engines (I don't, ever).

I can't say i 100% agree with this.

If you used internet long enough, you should remember how other forum software (ipb, xenforo, phpbb etc.) had great advanced search engines, much more flexible than google or somethinh because they let user search inside subforum or search inside specific thread, search by username, search only in titles or only in posts, search in threads with more than X messages etc. etc.

Sadly, nowodays WEB is loosing functional here and there, so i suppose people are getting used to "pseudo" forum software  like VanillaForums or Discourse, which are so lackluster and primivite in functional that you can only blame "mobile-first" mindset for that as possible reason why, or people getting used to things that lack great interface and functional like tumblr or ig.

I more or less find DAZ forums workable, it still not as bad or limited as those popular variants, but yes it lacks some of helpful functions from others.

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,471

jjoyner said:

Search Forums is almost unbearable to use in that it searches all of the forums rather than the one that I am usually interested in searching.  Add a Search Forum capabaility to each forum.  Also, make the search function a boolean AND search and not a boolean OR search.  If I search for two (or more) words at the same time (Carrara content) for example, the search (of all forums) returns any post with either word (or both).  What I want are only those posts with both words.

Also, upgrade the search function to report how many posts a search returns.  At present, one has no idea how many pages of posts the Next button will produce.

Also an option to show results as threads instead of showing each and every post inside the same thread. 

PerttiA said:

Also an option to show results as threads instead of showing each and every post inside the same thread. 

Where can one set the option to view search results by threads instead of showing every post?   I could not find a place to do that.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

I think it was a mention of what would be added to your opening request, aka desire of user

Gotcha.