Daz Studio 4.16[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited February 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio 4.16 Pro General Release!

• Version: 4.16.0.3
  • Date: November 22, 2021

Highlights:

Important Notes:

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT UPGRADED TO THE 4.9 GENERAL RELEASE, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR CONTENT DATABASE IN DAZ STUDIO 4.x BEFORE LAUNCHING THIS VERSION !!

How do I backup my User Data in Daz Studio?

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY MIGRATED FROM THE VALENTINA DB BASED CMS, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU MIGRATE TO THE POSTGRESQL BASED CMS BEFORE LAUNCHING THIS VERSION !!

Has the Content Management Service (CMS) changed?

For anyone using a pre-4.9.x build of Daz Studio:

• The first time you launch Daz Studio 4.9+, any data that exists in the content database is migrated so that it can be used in Daz Studio 4.9+.
  • The amount of time the database migration operation takes is proportional to the amount of data to be migrated.
  • The database migration operation does not delete the data that it migrates from the previous location so that it remains accessible by earlier versions and other applications, such as Carrara.
  • Daz Studio 4.9+ uses the same PostgreSQL database as Daz Studio 4.6 and later, and/or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • A portion of the data contained within the database is shared amongst versions but not entirely. For example:
    • Creating a category in either Daz Studio 4.9+ or 4.8 will cause that category to exist in the other version
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.9+ will NOT cause that file to be assigned to that category in Daz Studio 4.8
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.8 WILL cause the file to be assigned to the category in Daz Studio 4.9+
  • Reseting the database in any version of Daz Studio that uses PostgreSQL (e.g., 4.6 or later) will purge all of data in the database, including any data that may be used by earlier versions or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • After the initial migration operation, edited metadata in Daz Studio 4.8 will not be migrated to Daz Studio 4.9+.
    • A workaround is to export User Data from Daz Studio 4.8 and reimport User Data in Daz Studio 4.9+.

Known Issues:

• Windows
    • Executables are unsigned
      • UAC prompt is yellow with unknown publisher instead of blue with publisher name
  • macOS
    • Big Sur
      • Styling issues on (horizontal) tabbars, (horizontal) tabs, buttons, frames
      • Interactive Lessons draw opaque over the UI, obstructing view of the UI
      • Color selection uses Qt (4) standard color picker - not the macOS native color picker
    • Installation via Install Manager or DazCentral is recommended
      • Installation via standalone application/plugin installers may require an addition to Gatekeeper's exceptions and approved application launch list (via the Command Line)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Public Beta Threads:

• 4.15.0.30 (September 2, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.29 (August 31, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.28 (August 27, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.26 (August 19, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.25 (August 17, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.14 (March 18, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.13 (February 24, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.12 (February 19, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.9 (February 11, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.2 (January 7, 2021)
    • 4.14.1.38 (December 23, 2020)
    • 4.14.1.28 (December 15, 2020)
    • 4.14.1.22 (December 4, 2020)
    • 4.14.0.10 (November 24, 2020)
    • 4.14.0.8 (November 10, 2020)

Previous General Releases:

• 4.15.0.30 (September 2, 2021)
    • 4.15.0.2 (January 7, 2021)
  • 4.14.0.10 (December 2, 2020)
    • 4.14.0.8 (November 10, 2020)
  • 4.12.1.118 (June 29, 2020)
    • 4.12.0.86 (September 24, 2019)
  • 4.11.0.383 (June 12, 2019)
  • 4.10.0.123 (December 8, 2017)
Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    edited January 2021

And also, remember folks, always backup your old installer zips and install folders before you update!

wink

EDIT: Oh, and never have Daz Studio running while you're installing!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    edited January 2021

It is irritating when I have a complex scene (Not really - it's just 6 DAZ 3D  products - a set, a animal, a person, hair, eyebrows, clothing) in DAZ Studio but can't set the viewport to Filament because, presumable guess, my GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4GB runs out of RAM, and well that's OK, but I can't set Filament as an explicit render type in the list of renderer options, only viewport and so to get a Filament render I need Filament in the viewport chosen which is not happening for this scene; at least not happening 100% of the time; sometimes it does manage to open the scene in Filament without crashing DAZ Studio (in prior versions of DAZ Studio with filament).

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198

I'm lucky in that regard. I am a big fan/user of trans maps, so Filament just makes my stuff look like crap anyway.

Being new to trying to actually do image work in Daz Studio (I'm a Carrara nut!) I keep forgetting to save backups of the D|S installers from previous versions. Seems to be okay for me though.

• First to say I'm a long time user of Poser; DAZ Studio gives far more better renders but has some weak points respect to Poser, in particular when dealing with lights preview and settings, and in general Poser is far mor easier to use in all settings.

However...

Installed 4.15 yesterday; immediately reverted to 4.14.

I've a (relatively) meager system: ASUS notebook I7 8th generation; nvidia gtx 1650 4 gb VRAM and 16 gb RAM.

Version 4.14 resolved some problems I had with 4.12; at least I finally was able to correclty set the light under NVidia preview with some ease, altough wit a considerable waste of time

Transparencies effects were trickly but obtainable in 4.14

Renders were obtained in a reasonable time lapse.

All this brutally disappeared in 4.15!; system crashes, system out of memory, transparencies and reflection effects absolutely randomly rendered and so on; disaster!

Hope Daz will approach the usability issues of DAZ; the reasons why I'm struggling with DAZ are the quality of the renders and the Genesis 8 figures (problems notwithstanding with pins and extremity lock ,and with inverse kinematic, which is absolutely not working; tried to mirror a pose; nothing happened on the scene!)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    edited January 2021

nonesuch00 said:

It is irritating when I have a complex scene .. but can't set the viewport to Filament because, presumable guess, my GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4GB runs out of RAM

This is what the scene optimizer is for, you can't expect filament to handle the daz assets at full texture resolution, especially with a 4G card. Then in my opinion the scene optimizer, or an equivalent tool, should really be included as standard since even a 8G card with iray is barely enough for most scenes. That is, most daz assets are practically unusable without the scene optimizer.

https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

Post edited by Padone on

nonesuch00 said:

It is irritating when I have a complex scene (Not really - it's just 6 DAZ 3D  products - a set, a animal, a person, hair, eyebrows, clothing) in DAZ Studio but can't set the viewport to Filament because, presumable guess, my GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4GB runs out of RAM, and well that's OK, but I can't set Filament as an explicit render type in the list of renderer options, only viewport and so to get a Filament render I need Filament in the viewport chosen which is not happening for this scene; at least not happening 100% of the time; sometimes it does manage to open the scene in Filament without crashing DAZ Studio (in prior versions of DAZ Studio with filament).

Seriously, you need to free yourself and upgrade your computer when you're able as you'll always be held back by taking too much time out of your creative flow battling with VRAM/RAM  requirements and allocations with your limited resources... sure you'll have to save up for months (I did for nearly a year before I was able to afford an RTX 3090) but in the end, it will be worth it so much!

I'm just glad that I have more than enough VRAM and RAM to be able to finally create complex scenes!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Seriously, you need to free yourself and upgrade your computer when you're able as you'll always be held back by taking too much time out of your creative flow battling with VRAM/RAM  requirements and allocations with your limited resources... sure you'll have to save up for months (I did for nearly a year before I was able to afford an RTX 3090) but in the end, it will be worth it so much!

I'm just glad that I have more than enough VRAM and RAM to be able to finally create complex scenes!

I so wish I could afford the 24 GB card because, as @Padone says, 8GB is just not enough. Even with Scene Optimizer run to reduce texture sizes by half, I still crashed back to CPU with only 3 characters in my scene. I still have a GTX 1070 and I think I have read that the RTX cards are more efficient with VRAM but even so, I will not buy another 8GB card. NVidia have just announced a low-end RTX 3060 which has 12GB (oddly that's more than you get with the more expensive 3060ti) but I have my doubts about whether 12GB will be enough. Probably not without Scene Optimizer. So I'm hoping they announce the long rumoured 3080 with 20GB but that will hit my finances so very hard. 

edited January 2021

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Yes, I'm definately being held back now by video RAM now but the bigger problem now is price gouging. No point in saving for a $1500 video card when I can't afford, even with saving money, and refuse to pay $2500 for a $1500 video card. End of story and no negotiations.

I'm scrubbing done my basement with bleach to kill mold for the next 2 weeks, LOL, not very creative, and in need of frequent breathers and an N95 mask, but, RTX 3000 series or not, I'm ready to got on to more interesting things than still renders and those RTX 3000 series cards were crucial to that in particular the AI assist from cleaning up and enlarging old family photos and videos. Also, It would of been nice to get an assist from the RTX 3000 series Pose AI / Omniverse fron nVidia but if they don't supply the goods I'll move on without nVidia. Once I progress beyond the point of needing such assistive help then well nVidia blew it didn't they? Not just with me but for every other customer they pulled this bait and switch of offering RTX 3000s series for a reasonable price but then we in fact only get 1000 series - 2000s series cards on offer for 3 times the MSRP. That's not going to fly here.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

I so wish I could afford the 24 GB card because, as @Padone says, 8GB is just not enough. Even with Scene Optimizer run to reduce texture sizes by half, I still crashed back to CPU with only 3 characters in my scene. I still have a GTX 1070 and I think I have read that the RTX cards are more efficient with VRAM but even so, I will not buy another 8GB card. NVidia have just announced a low-end RTX 3060 which has 12GB (oddly that's more than you get with the more expensive 3060ti) but I have my doubts about whether 12GB will be enough. Probably not without Scene Optimizer. So I'm hoping they announce the long rumoured 3080 with 20GB but that will hit my finances so very hard. 

I know! It's awful so I'm planning on making very simplified interactive scenes because I know a 8GB video card ain't going to cut it but as much as I'd like to spend a year saving for a 24GB card I know that will leave a Generation 3 RT nVidia card right around the corner with even more RAM when I have saved enough and eventually, I have to get a card that can do the work fast and composite or simplify the scene when it can't. Just as well, that scene and materials simplfication has to be done regardless to publish to mobile devices at any rate. Still the comfort of baking Global Illumination with 24GB video card and other game preparation tricks would be nice. Let along all the AI assisted implications with my old family photos & video being upscaled and repaired using DLSS on a 24GB 3000s series card! I can talk like I'm going to buy such a card but I know I ain't got the money. I may as well talk about buying a Rolls Royce.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,899

In the changelog I don't see any trace of any fixes to the timeline... It has been finally fixed or it's still broken? Someone can test it?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

wow up to 4.15 already laugh

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283
    edited January 2021

I am having issue with 4.15 as the DOF mechanic for the camera seems to be messed up. If you keep it at default (22) the focal plane is so thin everything but where the outer plane touches is out of focus. If you increase the number it opens REALLy slowly in order to get the plane to encompass your figure for instance it needs to be at like 1200...which is ludicrous. And when you do that nothing is out of focus. Its messed up somehow.

Danny

Post edited by D.Robinson on
  • After upgrading to 4.15, my render progress window has disappeared. It doesn't show up when I hover over the dazstudio icon in the taskbar. It doesn't show up behind the render window when I move it. And I can't find anything in settings on the forum that works.  Any advice?

nonesuch00 said:

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Yes, I'm definately being held back now by video RAM now but the bigger problem now is price gouging. No point in saving for a $1500 video card when I can't afford, even with saving money, and refuse to pay $2500 for a $1500 video card. End of story and no negotiations.

I'm scrubbing done my basement with bleach to kill mold for the next 2 weeks, LOL, not very creative, and in need of frequent breathers and an N95 mask, but, RTX 3000 series or not, I'm ready to got on to more interesting things than still renders and those RTX 3000 series cards were crucial to that in particular the AI assist from cleaning up and enlarging old family photos and videos. Also, It would of been nice to get an assist from the RTX 3000 series Pose AI / Omniverse fron nVidia but if they don't supply the goods I'll move on without nVidia. Once I progress beyond the point of needing such assistive help then well nVidia blew it didn't they? Not just with me but for every other customer they pulled this bait and switch of offering RTX 3000s series for a reasonable price but then we in fact only get 1000 series - 2000s series cards on offer for 3 times the MSRP. That's not going to fly here.

Not so, as I bought my 3090 FE for MSRP using HotStock, they just recently had shipments at best buy on the fifth, so you do not have to spend scalper prices on amazon/newegg/ebay! So if you want to buy a GPU at MSRP Best Buy is the only way to go!

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

It is doable, I only get $900-per month on a fixed income and I saved up $200 per month for at least 7 months in order to be able to afford the $1.6k price (That's with tax included) but you can also use the stimulus check itself as a start if need be, also if you have good credit you can lease a 3090 over at best buy once they get their stock in as well!

• I installed 4.15 today and it already crashed 4 times in 1 hour.

I was hoping it fixed some of the issues that were occurring 4.14, but instead it looks like new bugs were introduced.

Not really  happy since it crashes while I am in the middle of moving a slider for some property and so now I have to Save my Scene constantly to not lose my changes.

• trashkollector said:

I installed 4.15 today and it already crashed 4 times in 1 hour.

I was hoping it fixed some of the issues that were occurring 4.14, but instead it looks like new bugs were introduced.

Not really  happy since it crashes while I am in the middle of moving a slider for some property and so now I have to Save my Scene constantly to not lose my changes.

What is your GPU driver version? What security software are you running? What are your system specs?

• amaidroid_cf981e3474 said:

After upgrading to 4.15, my render progress window has disappeared. It doesn't show up when I hover over the dazstudio icon in the taskbar. It doesn't show up behind the render window when I move it. And I can't find anything in settings on the forum that works.  Any advice?

Do you have a dual monitor system, or have you changed screen resolution? It's for panes rather than dialogues but it may help to try Window>Workspace>Offscreen Pane (Tab) Groups.

• just installed 4.15 and it can't find my graphics card, even though i just updated the drivers for it

• themarshal77 said:

just installed 4.15 and it can't find my graphics card, even though i just updated the drivers for it

What is your GPU?

• Richard Haseltine said:

amaidroid_cf981e3474 said:

After upgrading to 4.15, my render progress window has disappeared. It doesn't show up when I hover over the dazstudio icon in the taskbar. It doesn't show up behind the render window when I move it. And I can't find anything in settings on the forum that works.  Any advice?

Do you have a dual monitor system, or have you changed screen resolution? It's for panes rather than dialogues but it may help to try Window>Workspace>Offscreen Pane (Tab) Groups.

Rob has provided a script that will recentre the dialogue - try opening the scripting pane (Window>Panes(Tabs)>ScriptIDE), pasting the code into that, and clicking Execute - then try rendering again (the dialogue will, of course, be behind the render window then).

(function(){		var oAppSettings = new DzAppSettings( "WindowGeometries/Progress" );		var sKey;	var aKeys = [ "x", "y" ];	for( var i = 0, n = aKeys.length; i < n; i += 1 ){		sKey = aKeys[ i ];		if( oAppSettings.containsValue( sKey ) ){			oAppSettings.removeValue( sKey );		}	}	})();

• Would it be possible to tell me how to turn off the extended reporting to log.txt (as I get 7,469 lines with a freshly launched DS with nothing in the scene)?

I want to use the log to diagnose some installs but the unncessarily verbose logging is getting in the way. Those 7,469 lines have nothing to do with what I want, and many are just reporting issues found with the DAZ Cloud.

Example:

WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Error in metadata for product 'Dragon Skeleton (Articulate Vertebrae)' (712), metadata for file 'animals/charger horse/materials/poses/scary.duf' has no corresponding file
  • Richard Haseltine said:

trashkollector said:

What is your GPU driver version? What security software are you running? What are your system specs?

GeForce RTX 2070    Version 461.09

• trashkollector said:

Richard Haseltine said:

trashkollector said:

GeForce RTX 2070    Version 461.09

Have you done a clean install of the driver and restarted the system?

• 4jazzy14jazzy1 Posts: 17
    edited January 2021

never mind

Post edited by 4jazzy1 on
    edited January 2021

takezo_3001 said:

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

It is doable, I only get $900-per month on a fixed income and I saved up $200 per month for at least 7 months in order to be able to afford the $1.6k price (That's with tax included) but you can also use the stimulus check itself as a start if need be, also if you have good credit you can lease a 3090 over at best buy once they get their stock in as well!

Yeah, no - I live in New Zealand and we don't get stimulus cheques (checks, in American English). We don't have Best Buy either. A RTX3090 here costs about NZ$ 3000 which converts to approx US$ 2150. A 3060 ti is selling for NZ$ 1000 which is about US$ 720 (MSRP is USD 399).

Post edited by marble on

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Yeah, no - I live in New Zealand and we don't get stimulus cheques (checks, in American English). We don't have Best Buy either. A RTX3090 here costs about NZ$ 3000 which converts to approx US$ 2150. A 3060 ti is selling for NZ$ 1000 which is about US$ 720 (MSRP is USD 399).

Oops, sorry, it was silly for me to assume, that's my idiotic mistake... but the good news is, that you live in New Zealand as your nation has done an outstanding job at nearly wiping out covid, and your government pretty much takes care of its citizens!

So even though you may pay out the backside for PC parts, you won't for your education/health at least!

takezo_3001 said:

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Oops, sorry, it was silly for me to assume, that's my idiotic mistake... but the good news is, that you live in New Zealand as your nation has done an outstanding job at nearly wiping out covid, and your government pretty much takes care of its citizens!

So even though you may pay out the backside for PC parts, you won't for your education/health at least!

Yes, I don't want to tempt fate and everyone here expects some new variant might still find its way in, but our lockdowns were pretty effective and the country was able to get back to almost normal relatively quickly.  By the way, you are not alone in assuming that everyone you talk to online is an American - I get that a lot. 

The issue of paying over the odds for PC parts has been around for a long, long time. Before I mover to NZ I was living in the UK and everyone was pretty disgusted that when we saw a price in US$ we could assume that the UK pound price would be the very same number even though there was a considerable exchange rate difference (with the pound being worth $1.50 or similar). Friends in Australia have the same complaint about American export pricing (even though the hardware comes from China).

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Not so, as I bought my 3090 FE for MSRP using HotStock, they just recently had shipments at best buy on the fifth, so you do not have to spend scalper prices on amazon/newegg/ebay! So if you want to buy a GPU at MSRP Best Buy is the only way to go!

There is a Best Buy 125 miles from me so I will try Hot Stock. Thanks for the tip. surprise

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

marble said:

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Believe it or not I am old enough to remember when check was still spelled cheque in USA. That was in the early 1970s. I can still remember being taken on a field trip in 1st grade to Midway Airport in Chicago and for some weird reason the lady that worked there that was showing us around, I think she was a stewardess, took us all on an airplane and proceded to teach us kids how to properly fill out a cheque, made out to John Q Public and then one to Jane Doe. However, the plane stayed parked the entire time we were on it and the cheques were all fake.