optic prime errors, why?

Daz doesn't use optix prime any more .. 
I't's not checked in my advanced settings 
and yet my log file is littered with these messages...

2021-01-11 13:35:53.280 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.
---

Comments

• alan bard newcomer said:

Daz doesn't use optix prime any more .. 
    I't's not checked in my advanced settings 
    and yet my log file is littered with these messages...

2021-01-11 13:35:53.280 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.
    ---

New scene or a saved scene from when the setting was available?

• that line was from a text log for the rendering of gothic ruins...  and I pinkie swear that optix prime is not turned on and hasn't been for several years if ever. 

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

That checkbox should have gone by now! It's been at least a couple of releases since it was removed completely.

• actually  I did do that render in 414 but basically I (gasp) use the last 412 that is social because I often render one scene while working on something else and have actually had 3 or 4 open at times. 
    ---
    If I notice I need a piece from an older scene I'll open that one and save the piece out to merge with the new scene. 
    ---
    you can use the latest and greatest and still open the older ones at the same time. 

• render tonight 4:14 scene created yesterday and today. 
    "

2021-01-24 23:12:56.381 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing local rendering.

2021-01-24 23:12:56.464 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Using OptiX Prime version 5.0.1

2021-01-24 23:12:56.464 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX Prime for CUDA device 0

2021-01-24 23:12:57.264 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX Prime for CUDA device 1

2021-01-24 23:12:57.285 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 2 device(s):

2021-01-24 23:12:57.285 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX TITAN X)

2021-01-24 23:12:57.285 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti)
    ----
    there is no optix prime option in 4:14 ... (and not checked when I rendered it in 412  and still optix is being intialized. 
    ---
    now is thsi something that daz does with there implemation of iray ... or is it the iray engine doing it.
    ----
    OH, I'm still having issues with the render talking off and using all system ram...  not cpu .. system ram.. not gram on cards ..  64 gigs on mother board..  
    ---
    And for course as noted often.. Daz does not release video memory from render to render. 
    ---
    I'm sure it can be done.. my games would only run for 5 seconds or so if they didn't clean the video buffer to make room for new data. 

That's correct. Optix has not been removed from Iray, it's been automated. Iray chooses the type of optix most appropriate for the detected GPU. What's lost is the ability to turn it off.
  • alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited January 2021

prixat said:

That's correct. Optix has not been removed from Iray, it's been automated. Iray chooses the type of optix most appropriate for the detected GPU. What's lost is the ability to turn it off.

when you say iray .. .do you mean the iray renderer after iit's been called by daz but why would it choose to call it and then say it's not supported? 
    Or is daz automatically deciding to call it?

but why is it intialized and then followed with the other messages. 
    2021-01-24 17:06:45.405 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(305): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : The 'iray_optix_prime' scene option is no longer supported.
    so why would iray turn on something and then decide it wasn't used... or is daz calling it and iray saying screw this call? 
    ---
    if you can something in a subroutine and get an error message why would you leave it up and generate a set of error messages during the run?

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on

It is, "Iray saying screw this call".

There was an overlap period.

There were (a couple??) of releases of Studio with the newer Iray but still having that checkbox sending optix_prime settings to the new Iray.

The log is set to "maximum verbosity" so we see even the most minor warnings. cool

• alan bard newcomer said:

render tonight 4:14 scene created yesterday and today. 
    "

2021-01-24 23:12:56.381 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing local rendering.

2021-01-24 23:12:56.464 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Using OptiX Prime version 5.0.1

2021-01-24 23:12:56.464 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX Prime for CUDA device 0

2021-01-24 23:12:57.264 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX Prime for CUDA device 1

2021-01-24 23:12:57.285 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 2 device(s):

2021-01-24 23:12:57.285 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX TITAN X)

2021-01-24 23:12:57.285 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti)
    ----
    there is no optix prime option in 4:14 ... (and not checked when I rendered it in 412  and still optix is being intialized. 
    ---
    now is thsi something that daz does with there implemation of iray ... or is it the iray engine doing it.
    ----
    OH, I'm still having issues with the render talking off and using all system ram...  not cpu .. system ram.. not gram on cards ..  64 gigs on mother board..  
    ---
    And for course as noted often.. Daz does not release video memory from render to render. 
    ---
    I'm sure it can be done.. my games would only run for 5 seconds or so if they didn't clean the video buffer to make room for new data. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>render tonight 4:14 scene created yesterday and today. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    4.14... same message. 
    that's not an older version...  and even if it was I didn't have the box checked. 
    I started programming in 1978 ... it would have only taken one run through with the box checked to uncheck it. 
    ---
    The question is and was...  does DAZ call the optix prime before the render is handed to the iray or is iray in a part that daz has no control over calling the optix. 
    ---
    And of course it's set to verbose... you can't spot a problem with minimal information. 
    ---
    theoretically if one opened the daz code or any dlls associated with rendering and did a search for optix prime it should not appear anywhere in the code? 
    In which case there's something in the iray code. 

• Daz Studio does not call OptixPrime - Iray does use Optix (version 7 currently).

Studio no longer has any way to call (or disable) Optix. If Iray detects it in the GPU then it is used.

(It's the same for the CPU, if you're using a CPU that supports Embree then Iray will initialise Embree, entirely automatically.)

As I understand it, the Iray renderer has always been a sealed black box, solely under nVidia's control.