Genesis 8.1 expressions

kenundrumkenundrum Posts: 10
edited January 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

On the page for Genesis 8.1, there is a video that shows a face, and arrows on the face, where you can click and drag on the face to make expressions. I load my Genesis 8.1 character, and cannot figure out how to do this to make expressions. How do I get the arrows on the face so I can click and drag to make expressions?

Here is the page:

Daz 3D | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

Post edited by kenundrum on

Comments

• CryphiusCryphius Posts: 64
    edited January 2021

I want to know this too. How do you get that overlay with the blue arrows?

Post edited by Cryphius on
  • t0mgt0mg Posts: 48

I just figured it out!, literally, seconds ago. 

There's an icon called "Genesis 8.1 Female Face Controls", Listed under Genesis 8 Female -> Developer Kit

It attaches a series of controls that you can manipulate using the universal tool:

Hope this helps!

controls.png
    729 x 746 - 598K
    devkit.png
    520 x 352 - 59K
  • kenundrumkenundrum Posts: 10
    edited January 2021

Hey t0mg, I found what you said, but it does not do anything for me with the universal tool. I left click and drag, and nothing happens. I appreciate your post though. One step forward.

Sometimes it grabs the entire arrow box and slides it around. Or it grabs an arrow and changes its size. And Daz soon crashes every time I try it.

Post edited by kenundrum on
  • CrescentCrescent Posts: 319

I'm having the same issue with mousing the controls not affecting the face.  I can select a control with the mouse then use the slider dials to manipulate the face, though.

One of the controls is meant to move the face controls off to the side when you're done with the controls, that may be what's moving/crashing DS for you.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

I figured it out moments ago and I like it, but it is not easy to grab the correct point you want to grab. I guess with some practice... 

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

DazStudio the latest beta crashes for me as well.  I was happy that it was included with thte G8.1 update, but now, not so much.  Looks like a fun tool, and I hope they get it to work with the next update.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Make sure you have selected a control that translates rather than rotates the Universal Gizmo. Sometimes you'll want to rotate but when you do the effect is much more subtle and not so common either.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited January 2021

nonesuch00 said:

Make sure you have selected a control that translates rather than rotates the Universal Gizmo. Sometimes you'll want to rotate but when you do the effect is much more subtle and not so common either.

I can select the node but as soon as I try to translate  the gizmo (yes the Universal Gismo) DazStudio crashes, every time.  

system.JPG
    480 x 125 - 20K
    graphics.JPG
    316 x 145 - 16K
    Post edited by ProPose on
  • I found it and it immediately crashes on me.  Time to put in a ticket.  

• Quite a few people are experiencing crashes, others not - it might help, for both groups, to post system specs.

• It is a pity that most of the expressions I have purchased so far do not work on G8.1.

For the time being, I think I will be creating with the traditional G8 base.

When G8.1 expressions are released in the future, they will be mixed up with the G8 expressions and it will be difficult to find them.

It would be helpful if they were sorted into the "FACS expressions" folder by default.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited January 2021

it's truly puzzling why the phonemes don't work with Mimic live or lipsync though, I studied the data folder and also loaded 8.1 in DAZ studio 4.7 on my Win7 to isolate the included morphs and the eCTRLVphonemes and their aliases are included.

I can only get facs morphs to work populating the configuration file.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I've tried to work with the face controls and also had it crash Daz Studio. 

• Crashed on me too.  I can access the controls in the parameters section for face control, but I would prefer the rig.  It would be easier.

• No crashes for me so far, Dell 7500 workstation, dual Xeon, 24core, 24gb ram, rtx 2070 super, win10pro.  Also tested on Acer Nitro i7 Laptop 9th gen, rtx 2060, 16gb ram, win10 home.  Windows at latest drivers, using latest Nvidia Studio drivers.  Tested both in regular viewport and with filament

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663
    edited January 2021

It used to crash for me until I uninstalled both the male & female genesis 8 starter essentials, & uninstalled PowerPose,  Then used DIM to re-download and install them

Post edited by Platnumk on
  • I found the Female Face Control gizmo and loaded it on GF8.1 but I can not get it to do anything like what it shows in the video. I can not get the eyes to look around. I can't get the mouth and surrounding area to change with what looks like one control. Any guidance would be appreciated.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited January 2021

I do not have had any crashes.

I am on a 64bit operating system.

Capture.JPG
    475 x 72 - 14K
    Post edited by Petra on
  • Is there a button to reset the expression using FACE with one touch?

• mailapeturmailapetur Posts: 14

Did you figur out how this works?
    I cant effect the expressions with the mouse in the view-port. I can only effect the expressions in the pannels on the right hand ... how do I activate the mouse function, so I can regulate the expressions with the mouse on the view-port directly?