How did they do this?! (Question about Hair Styling)

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
edited January 2021 in New Users

I was looking at this product page and really liked the hair style. I thought I recognized it and I was half right.

https://www.daz3d.com/the-expression-collection-for-victoria-81

I know the bangs are from the Mega UpDo product but the back is long. There are no options for long hair in the back with that set. My best guess is that they loaded the bangs from Mega Updo and then some other hair product? But I can't figure how without it clashing with whatever front hair that product has. Mega Updo is the only hair product I can think of that loads in 3 zones.

I'd love to hear some opinions because the look of that hair in the promo is a great look.

Post edited by DDCreate on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022

They could have used geometry editor or transparency to remove the front of the hair they used, then added the mega updo bangs.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Tricksy Hobbits's

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 897
    edited January 2021

Hi DDCreate. Lol, tricksy indeed - but not really. XD Actually, it't not even as tricky as using the geometry editor, though Leana is on the right track as far as the general idea goes. It is the bangs from Mega UpDo combined with Hair and Glasses for Genesis 3 and 8 Females, without the glasses and with many parts of the hair hidden. Both hairs are using one of the shaders from Chevybabe's Backlight product. The Hair and Glasses hair is listed in the Products Used section of the Expression Collection page (though it's understandable that the use of it is not obvious as it looks very different without the fluffy front parts). If you expand the hair in the scene tab, you can see the individual sections with names like rFront1, lFront1; I just clicked on the little eye symbol and hid all the front parts.

I hope that helps!

I end up doing this fairly often when I'm playing with hair, and it's a fun way to mash different styles together to create new looks. Also, it helps me keep within my spending budget so I don't go, "Hmm... nothing I have looks right out of the box. I'd better go buy some new hair for this one promo." Lol.

CaptureA.JPG
    1287 x 767 - 124K
    Post edited by Quixotry on
  • DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
    edited January 2021

Thanks for the explaination and the screen shot Quixotry! I was a fan os the expressions too of course, that's what caught my eye but then I saw the hair and it looked like OOT for sure. I have a total crush on OOT hair and use it whenever I can. Kudos to you for getting creative and making a whole new hair style! I can't wait to try this myself!

(edit) Had to post! I love it!!

"Ohhhh how funnnn!" -Col. Hans Landa

SB.jpg
    1669 x 2160 - 734K
    CH2.jpg
    1669 x 2160 - 816K
    Post edited by DDCreate on
  • QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 897

You're welcome! I love OOT hair for it's versatility. :)

That looks wonderful! Have fun! Try it with lots of other hairs and you'll probably find that you can double the number of hairstyles in your library. And if you like something you make and plan to use it a lot, you can save what you've got as a scene subset. I do this:

1. have the hair on your base figure (plain, unposed G8/G3/G2)

2. Go to Save As > Scene Subset and a window with options will pop up

3. Check only the boxes that are related to the hair and leave everything else unchecked.

Then you can load that hair setup into any scene and all you have to do is parent it to a figure's head. Saving the hair as a wearable option might also be a good way to do it; I haven't tried doing it that way, but I expect it would work fine.