X,Y,Z axis and rotation

Ok, I'm guessing there is a setting I have not enabled because what I'm seeing makes not sense whatsoever.  I've designed in mechanical CAD for many years.  Y, X and Z in an assembly are absolute regardless of the orientation of individual parts.  But, that's not what I'm seeing in DAZ3D.  You rotate a prop and then try and move it into place and the axis are all messed up.  How do I fix this so that X, Y and Z are maintainted with respect to the environment and not the prop?

Comments

• In the Tool Settings pane you can choose the axes to use - currently you are probably using Local.

• jtbetheljtbethel Posts: 42
    edited January 2021

Don't get me started - oh! you have :)

This is something thats bugged me since Daz 3.something

In the older Daz Studio, If you created a model, lets say a Door in any 3D prog (Max, Rhino, Inventor  etc)

If you set the door with it's 0,0,0 where the hinge was, then import the OBJ into Daz, the pivot point of that object in Daz would be the hinge.

Since Daz 4, this does not happen, when you import the Door obj into daz now, the rotation point is usually at the lowest, mid point of the object.

And none of the Tool Setting options will move it to the correct axis point

This can be moved with Joint Editor but not as acurately as you could set it in the 3D prog

Strange thing tho, is Daz does insert the object in the correct place. that is the 0,0,0, position from the 3D prog will be at the 0,0,0, in Daz, but the rotation is at the base of the object.

One way around this is to create a New Null as soon as you insert the object, they will now share the same 0,0,0, then parent the object to the New Null, and use the Null to rotate the object.

Post edited by jtbethel on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

jtbethel said:

This can be moved with Joint Editor but not as acurately as you could set it in the 3D prog

When using the Joint Editor, make sure to have the Tool Tab open so you can manually type in the values you need such as zero.

Make sure that when you import, use the import settings in Daz Studio that correctly corrispond to the software you are exporting from, or define custom parameters.

• Thanks Mattymanx, the Tool Tab for the Joint editor does help a lot, it allows me to move the rotation point to the 0,0,0, where it should be. Thank you :)

• Richard Haseltine said:

In the Tool Settings pane you can choose the axes to use - currently you are probably using Local.

That helps a lot!  Thank you!

There a way to lock that feature or make it a default?  Seems to revert back to local when I choose a new object...

• krisdesrochers said:

Richard Haseltine said:

In the Tool Settings pane you can choose the axes to use - currently you are probably using Local.

That helps a lot!  Thank you!

There a way to lock that feature or make it a default?  Seems to revert back to local when I choose a new object...

That's odd, the setting seem persistent for me (at least in a simple scene with only nodes, no figures with bones).

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

jtbethel said:

Thanks Mattymanx, the Tool Tab for the Joint editor does help a lot, it allows me to move the rotation point to the 0,0,0, where it should be. Thank you :)

You're welcome!