Anbody else having severe Windows crashes with DAZ 4.15

DAZ 4.15 is actually doing something to LOCK UP Windows and force a POWER BUTTON REBOOT.

Just when I thought Microsoft had figured out how to stop apps from corrupting the os kernel, the new version of DAZ has figured out how to completely lock up my PC, where i can't even bring up the Task Mananger to kill DAZ.

Kind of like the "Blue Screen of Death" w/o the Blue Screen.

Of course, there is now way to download a "previous" version, so basically the 4.15 is UNSUABLE for me.

Anbody else experiencing this, and are there any workarounds.

I CAN NO LONGER USE DAZ, because having my PC become unresponsive randomly is kind of a drag.

I also ran chkdsk to make sure I didnt have any corrupt files, and it indicated I do not.

Comments

• Many windows users, myself included, have Daz4.15 working with windows. 1st things 1st, get your windows working and stable to start troubleshooting from there.

When you are stable, create a restore point so it's relatively easy to get back to your stable install if things go awry. 

Get your systems specs handy and post them so people can offer suggestions on how to fix. Run System information. (Example: I'm running Windows10 build 18363 on I7-9700 with 32GB RAM on an NVIDIA 2080ti with Driver 457.09 (Studio version).

Everyone has different hardware/software set ups. Posting your specs will make it esaier for people here to offer help.

Also, how are you installing, DIM, Connect, Manual?

Big one to check; your GPU Driver.

Make sure you have the minimum required driver from NVIDIA. DazForums should have the minimum Driver required for 4.15. I don't know it off hand.

Windows has a well documented habit when it runs an update to overwrite the NVIDIA driver. Check your driver and if it needs install, get it from NVIDIA and download/install direct from them. Don't trust Windows to di it for you.

• JarelJarel Posts: 18

I had a lot of problems recently with Daz Studio crashing the whole machine.  There was no overheating, no problems with anything else yet it turned out to be an overclocking problem.  At some point I had enabled XMP in the motherboad BIOS, turning it off solved the problem.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited January 2021

I am on Windows 10 x64 1909, Nvidia driver 460.89 and Daz Studio 4.15.0.2 and have not experianced any crashing or other noticable issues.  Rendering have been consistant speed wise with the previous 4.14 builds, which for me ahs been faster than the 4.12 builds.

Zotac AMP Extreme 980TI (x2)

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • evacynevacyn Posts: 950

I've only had DS hang up my PC once since I've upgraded to 4.15, however DS itself crashes constantly.

• DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_3621da861144492b\nvcuda64.dll" at 0033:00000000E04A8A2B

I had another crash... this time it did not lock my pc.     

Looks like its related to nVidia driver

I guess I can try to install an "old" nVidia driver since I recenlty updated nVidia.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

trashkollector said:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_3621da861144492b\nvcuda64.dll" at 0033:00000000E04A8A2B

I had another crash... this time it did not lock my pc.     

Looks like its related to nVidia driver

I guess I can try to install an "old" nVidia driver since I recenlty updated nVidia.

That seems to come up quite often in here in relation with problems...

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

I always have crashes, more crashes than playing Project Cars with a rear wheel car on Nurburgring.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

I have not had any crashes with 4.15.02 or any other versions of Daz Studio.

I have Windows 10 installed, RTX 3080 card and 64 Gig of Ram.

• TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 362

One of the joys of having no control over hardware is not having control over hardware.  A problem can be anywhere, configuration, version of the motherboard proms, videocard drivers, interrupt settings, you name it.  Even two identical machines delivered on the same day can actually be very different internally, you just don't know.  Half the machines work perfectly, another quarter have intermittent problems and the rest, well...

If it makes you feel better, four million dollar railroad locomotives run Windows 98, and the blue screen of death comes up on the console from time to time.

TBorNot said:

One of the joys of having no control over hardware is not having control over hardware.  A problem can be anywhere, configuration, version of the motherboard proms, videocard drivers, interrupt settings, you name it.  Even two identical machines delivered on the same day can actually be very different internally, you just don't know.  Half the machines work perfectly, another quarter have intermittent problems and the rest, well...

If it makes you feel better, four million dollar railroad locomotives run Windows 98, and the blue screen of death comes up on the console from time to time.

Hmmm... What hardware are we talking about?

The rise of PC was all about having choices and control, which the alternatives didn't offer, at prices well below the competition.

There is no one else controlling the hardware (or software) in my system. 

• @PerttiA, Did you trry rolling back the NVIDIA drivers? Here are Windows instructions to do it if you need it: Go to Device Manager by typing in Devmgmt.msc in Run dialog box.
    Navigate to Display devices and right click ATI Radeon HD or Similar device you have. Choose Properties.
    On the Driver tab, hit rollback Driver to go back to the previous version.

Based on your card/Daz version, roll back to the minimum required driver for Daz to work. Test it. If it is stable, you can try incrementally intalling more recent drivers (if that is important to you).

I personally find one that works stable and stay there until "I have to" update due to a Daz update. 

Another option is if your card is overclocked. Can't help you there personally, I've never messed with it myself. I've seen some posts here that folks with factory OC cards have had issues and changing that has given them stable peformance.

Umi no Senshi no Ishi said:

@PerttiA, Did you trry rolling back the NVIDIA drivers? Here are Windows instructions to do it if you need it: Go to Device Manager by typing in Devmgmt.msc in Run dialog box.
    Navigate to Display devices and right click ATI Radeon HD or Similar device you have. Choose Properties.
    On the Driver tab, hit rollback Driver to go back to the previous version.

Based on your card/Daz version, roll back to the minimum required driver for Daz to work. Test it. If it is stable, you can try incrementally intalling more recent drivers (if that is important to you).

I personally find one that works stable and stay there until "I have to" update due to a Daz update. 

Another option is if your card is overclocked. Can't help you there personally, I've never messed with it myself. I've seen some posts here that folks with factory OC cards have had issues and changing that has given them stable peformance.

I have no problems in my system and/or DS 

• I have had some crashes but it involes the new figures and new features and the new version of Daz Studio. I just make sure I save freqently!!! Otherwise I get angry and break out the foam hammer and go to town on my pc. Great stress relief.

• I installed the 4.15 version the moment I found out about it.  It runs and renders on my computer no problem. No crashing to report.

• how about a 50% crash rate with 415? 
    ---
    it could be it changed something envolving catazler and yet half of the renders are fine. 
    Screen shot... render finished.. moving cursor to  name field to name picture and save. 
    wham...  notice the main window is gone. 
    Just oh you moved the cursor..  it was not doing anything the render was done and crash. 
    ---
    same machine has done a few thousand renders over the past few years. very few issues with 412.. but ramping up towards absurdity with 414 to 415. 
    dual xeons 64g of DDR4 should be enough for anyone. 
    ---
    no issues with photoshop with nine tabs open or 3dsmax or online gaming or facebook with 20 windows.. 
    But daz all by itself .. nothing else open can still crash 
    ---
    would be nice if we didn't have to bother seeing the crash report dialogue that goes to 404. 

• did this 3 days ago with 412..  there are 12 layers in the photo shop file from at least twenty difference render pieces done. 
    --- 

future days 3.jpg
    4000 x 2000 - 1000K
  • TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 362
    edited January 2021

My Apple Mac mini Daz install crashes from time to time using 4.15 too, so NVidia drivers might not be your problem. Of course, a Daz crash doesn't take out the Mac OS, but it does take a while to core dump.

Post edited by TBorNot on
  • I tried using DAZ 4.15 with latest nVidia (Jan 26) drivers and during a render my PC locked up.

Well, I rebooted my PC like before, and this time Windows would no longer start up.

Long story short,  I couldnt find any way to boot up Windows.

I had to use Windows Recovery drive to restore Windows back to factory.

This was an incredible pain in the arse since I was forced to reinstall Windows, and I had to jump thru some hoops to get my PC to boot off the flash drive after many attempts.  I ended up wasting about 2 to 3 hours resetting Windows back to factory.

Sadly, I am actually too worried about installing DAZ again and corrupting Windows.  Maybe I will wait for the next MAJOR upgrade.

Also, I am not sure if the Culprit is DAZ Studio or the nVidia drivers that they seem to be released every 2 weeks.

Why in the world would nVidia need to release drivers that frequently.  That also makes suspicious of the drivers.

This creates a mess, because it's hard to troubleshoot if the root cause is nVidia or DAZ Studio.

However, what I have noticed is the ONLY TIME I HAVE CRASHES is when Daz Studio is running.

• VoxxaVoxxa Posts: 64
    edited May 2021

I haven't had so many crashes since I upgraded to 4.15. Have to save after every little adjustment in order to save what I have done. Even purchased a new graphics card RTX 3060 12 GB. Have the latest drivers. Always check that first. Also I'm keeping a watch on other drivers issues, just in case. My computer has an i7-8700 3.20 GHz CPU, 64 GB RAM. Three SSD's in all 4TB plus another 6 TB om an external disk. They all take care of DAZ Studio materials... so... what's lacking here?? It's so much guess work when it comes to Daz Studio according to my quite short experience.

Post edited by Voxxa on
  • mbug90mbug90 Posts: 53
    I've had two occassions where Daz 4.15 crashed my entire PC. Now, after seeing what happened to the OP's system, I'm afraid to use Daz again.