Stop overheating, fast processing time using both CPU and GPU

I want post a discovery after fighting these issues for 3 years with overheating, 2 hours rendering each time, can't use Photoshop when rendering and snail speed browser when rendering. 

Now, not only I do not have over heating issue but rendering time takes 10 mins instead of 2 hours.

I have window 10, intel I7-6700K and Graphic card GTX 1080. I am using 4.15 pro.  Here are the step to realise my discovery.

1) Make sure you have Nvidia driver version currently at 460.89 (https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx)

2) Go to Daz Studo / Advance Tab, change the "limit load CPU".  I change from 8 to 4 - see attached image.

3) On your desktop, search for "Graphics Settings".  On this page, please turn on "Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling"

4) Wala, 12x speedy rendering with no over heating - see Task Manager with your GPU in action.

Untitled-1.jpg
1920 x 2032 - 2M

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited January 2021

You should not be using your CPU to render with Iray at all, unless you don't have an Nvidia graphics card capable of rendering your stuff.  It will slow down your renders, in addition to slowing down anything else you want to do while rendering

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • Windows 10 only. "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling, which was introduced in the Windows 10th May 2020 Update, recently received driver support from NVIDIA and AMD."

Though I suspect that part of the problem may be Photoshop CS5, and most likely 32-bit as well. CS6 64-bit, at least.

• Sevrin said:

You should not be using your CPU to render with Iray at all, unless you don't have an Nvidia graphics card capable of rendering your stuff.  It will slow down your renders, in addition to slowing down anything else you want to do while rendering

Hi Sevrin

Would you mind let me know how to turn off CPU? Thank you.

• Hi Servin

You said "You should not be using your CPU to render with Iray at all, unless you don't have an Nvidia graphics card capable of rendering your stuff. "

Did I do it right to turn off the CPU - see attached.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

Ok, I did what you said billy_1446285ff and yes, the render time is super fast since the changes been made, but, when I click on the render button, the render window pops up and will be white and I get told that it is not responding and then a little while later the render will start.

Is that normal, do you have that * problem * too?

• Petra said:

Ok, I did what you said billy_1446285ff and yes, the render time is super fast since the changes been made, but, when I click on the render button, the render window pops up and will be white and I get told that it is not responding and then a little while later the render will start.

Data has to be t rasnferred to the renderer, and while that is happenign DS may not be checking the event queue - if you click on the UI it will go white and say Not responding, but as long as it clears this isn't evidence of a problem.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958

Petra said:

I've had this happen since I went back to the most recent Nvidia drivers (460.89) - I might roll-back to the 456.71 drivers since they seem to work better for my 3090 with DS 4.15.

billy_14462085ff said:

Hi Servin

You said "You should not be using your CPU to render with Iray at all, unless you don't have an Nvidia graphics card capable of rendering your stuff. "

Yeah, just unchecking the CPU is normally enough.  I disable CPU fallback too, so I know to optimize the scene, but that's more a matter of preference.  A CPU render of a scene you like might be better than a GPU render of a scene you're not happy with.

evacyn said:

Petra said:

I've had this happen since I went back to the most recent Nvidia drivers (460.89) - I might roll-back to the 456.71 drivers since they seem to work better for my 3090 with DS 4.15.

I only had that happen when I made the changes the author of the thread has posted. I have the latest driver and an RTX 3080 card.  

Sevrin said:

billy_14462085ff said:

Hi Servin

Yeah, just unchecking the CPU is normally enough.  I disable CPU fallback too, so I know to optimize the scene, but that's more a matter of preference.  A CPU render of a scene you like might be better than a GPU render of a scene you're not happy with.

I always have CPU unchecked. So, with that, the changes that the Author has do not need to be made to get better GPU use?

I made the changes and now the Task Manager shows me up to 100 % GPU use when rendering. I wonder if it affects the render quality though as it renders very fast now.

I have an RTX 3080 card and 64 Gig RAM.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

evacyn said:

Petra said:

When I bought my new card, it worked on my existing drivers, 456.44, so didn't feel the need to upgrade because, well drivers.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Petra said:

Sevrin said:

billy_14462085ff said:

Hi Servin

I always have CPU unchecked. So, with that, the changes that the Author has do not need to be made to get better GPU use?

I made the changes and now the Task Manager shows me up to 100 % GPU use when rendering. I wonder if it affects the render quality though as it renders very fast now.

What does GPUz tell you is happening? User the Sensor tab, select your card and it will give good info on useage and temperatures.

nicstt said:

Petra said:

Sevrin said:

billy_14462085ff said:

Hi Servin

What does GPUz tell you is happening? User the Sensor tab, select your card and it will give good info on useage and temperatures.

Where would I find that sensor tab? 

I am not worried about overheating really, I have a good water cooler , but I wanted faster render times and that is happening, right now I am worried that this might changes the render quality.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

Petra said:

NOpe, you are not alone, I have that issue forever, then the render window disappears or minimize for itself and I have to reactivate again.  

Zilvergrafix said:

Petra said:

NOpe, you are not alone, I have that issue forever, then the render window disappears or minimize for itself and I have to reactivate again.  

I am sorry to hear this. I am lucky I guess that once it starts rendering, all is good.  

• Petra said:

Sevrin said:

billy_14462085ff said:

Hi Servin

My system was originally set for GPU on both Photorealism and Interactive and CPU Load was set to 12. I have a GeForce GTX 460, 12 functioning CPUs, and I have 64 Gig RAM with 32 Gig GPU RAM.

I just tried following Billy's suggestions above and unchecked the GPU and rely solely on the GeForce device, adjusted CPU Load from 12 to 4. However, I got no renders at all and no indication that it tried to do anything. I confirmed I've got the latest driver for my card, but no joy when trying to perform a render with just the CUDA settings checked.

I went back and selected both GPU and CUDA for the Photoreal setting, but left GPU unchecked for the Interactive portion. Render time was pushing close to 2 hours to finish rendering the file which is close to twice my old render times, but the speckled display window I always get with Iray cleaned up really fast.

I also tested it the other way, with just GeForce for the Photoreal, and both GPU & GeForce for Interactive--and that closed with no render result at all, like it did above with with no GPU selected for either.

So, I tested once more with both GPU and CUDA for the Photoreal setting, GPU unchecked for the Interactive portion, and returned back to 12 for GPU Load (my original setting). Again, the speckled image in the display window quickly cleaned up. Final render time was only about an hour--but I did notice that my machine is cludging a bit when doing other tasks like MSWord or playing music while renderings are going on, which I never paid that much mind about, but now that I recall how the machine performed before, it makes sense.

TBH, the only thing I'm seeing as a potential advantage is a reduction of GPU Loading with no evident loss in the resulting rendered output, and it lets me still have a functioning machine while waiting longer for it to finish, so there is that. I think a GPU Load of 6 would work best for me. Render of the same scene was only a little more than an hour, and no evendent impact to working on MSWord or playing music.

• Petra said:

I do not encounter the white screen.  Sometime I encounter delay on the pop up screen.

• Petra said:

Corretion, yes I did get a white screen for 5 sec max and the normal pop up processing screen starts.  I guess my computer needs someime to process.

• Petra and Sevrin.. check this out...For this product (see attached) the rending does not use GUP but rather using memory and cpu.  It is so strange.

Moreover, it is using over 50% when my CPU when set the CPU usage at 4. 

Untitled-1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 870K

billy_14462085ff said:

Petra and Sevrin.. check this out...For this product (see attached) the rending does not use GUP but rather using memory and cpu.  It is so strange.

Moreover, it is using over 50% when my CPU when set the CPU usage at 4. 

Iray is using 4 cores (of 8?), but DS itself also uses some CPU while rendering. 

• Here is my conclusion after several test.

Discovery - Each product has its own way of processing.  For example, the castle image on the top of the sample image uses barely the CPU (27%) and memory (22%) vs the hut image (middle and bottom) does not use the GPU.

I have a laptop and trust me, it heats up fast.

Knowing all of the above facts, I

1) down size my CPU usage by 50%.  I have 8 and cut down to 4. Any less may cause problem when the "product" requires CPU like the HUT image.

2) Make sure the "Allow CPU fallback is checked. When it is unchecked, I discovered the display image was gray out and the bottom right shows the status bar the program is loading.  After 10 mins, I gave up and checked the "allow CPU fallback" again.  Wala, I can see the display in color instantly.

QUESTION FOR EXPERT OUT THERE.

Who is controlling the rendering - daz studo or the creator of the product?  We want the GPU to handle most of the rendering.  It is impossible because it depends on "product" you are rendering.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1920 x 3414 - 3M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

It's the user that's controlling the rendering.

If the user makes the scene use so much memory that it doesn't fit in the VRAM of the GPU, the rendering is done on the CPU (if the user allows that)

Windows Task Manager is not a good/accurate tool for monitoring what's going on in the system, GPU-Z is much better.

• If your computer was overheating you should have done something about the cooling instead, a computer should never overheat no matter what software you are running.

edited January 2021

I changed everything back as to what it was.

I have a very good cooling system and with my RTX 3080 card and 64 Ram, my renders do not take that long anyway.

Thank you for posting it though.

Post edited by Petra on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,180
    edited January 2021

When I switch to Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows I can no longer find my CUDA cores in the task manger => performance => copy1 dropdown tab.

How do I monitor my CUDA cores?

Is that 3D now?

Post edited by RexRed on