DAZ 4.15 IRAY no RTX2070 cudas are using

g_kannenberg_HMBg_kannenberg_HMB Posts: 17
edited January 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

Since 4.15 my RTX 370 is no longer used for rendering. In the help I have now read that if the scene does not fit into the VRAM, it is rendered with the CPU. what is the point of this change, why did I buy this expensive RTX for rendering with an extra lot of cudas so that it is ignored during rendering.

CPU according to monitoring at 100% / GPU in idle at 0%

That can't be the goal. Can you regulate that somewhere that the cudas are used again?

Win 10/64, Aorus 370, I7-8700,  64 GB DDR4 Ram, RTX2070 8GB

Regards from Hamburg / Germany

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited January 2021

g_kannenberg_HMB said:

In the help I have now read that if the scene does not fit into the VRAM, it is rendered with the CPU. what is the point of this change

That's how Iray has worked since the begining, nothing has changed.

Make sure you install the latest version of the drivers for your card, DS 4.15 requires a more recent driver than earlier versions.

• Edited to fix formatting.

• g_kannenberg_HMBg_kannenberg_HMB Posts: 17
    edited January 2021

The driver used is NVIDIA Studio 460.89

Then why did I notice the difference to the old GTX750 so much?
    I'm sure that the card was rendered on Win 7/64 in the previous installation, had scenes with 5 HD figures,
    fully equipped rooms, night light from the outside, various lights inside, which of course had significantly
    longer than solo scenes or daylight scenes than content. Before I bought the RTX because of unreasonable rendering times and results,
    I read here in the forum that the number of cudas and of course memory is important, but that with a card with 8GB memory
    I can only render scenes under 8GB and otherwise it was completely out of order not mentioned,
    On the other hand, I have a scene with only one person who renders only a few minutes despite a lot around it,
    the RTX is still in idle ...
    There can be no cudas as a condition in the instructions and then I need a GPU for $ 12000 which then has 48GB or 96 GB,
    before the GPU even makes sense

• Edited to fix formatting. Pleas don't post using the <pre> tags, it breaks the line wrapping and makes your posts unreadable.

How are you monitoring the GPU use? Windows task manager does not, by default, report CUDA use.

• I Use the "NZXT Cam", here ist a screenshot by rendering Two instances of DAZ in 3840 x 31xx.

• screenshot

NZXG CAM2.JPG
    314 x 138 - 15K
  • What is that showing? Two different renders, or two GPUs with one render, or something else?

• No I must split the tool while it dosnt show it in original widt. the GPU Temp show the same

• One single Render, one Person loads 51 cpu temp, 18% load 4300Clock, 1300 Fan and no GPU activity

• DarkElfDarkElf Posts: 289
    edited January 2021

I haven't gotten the latest version of DS or the Genesis 8.1 updates because I can't afford to go out and buy another new machine. I bought my awesome ASUS ROG G752VY-DH72 a few years back just so I could use Iray:

Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz Skylake, 64GB DDR4, NVIDIA GTX980M 4GB GDDR5

This makes me wonder if I could use the latest version of DS and Genesis 8.1 on my machine after all.

Post edited by DarkElf on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

DarkElf said:

I haven't gotten the latest version of DS or the Genesis 8.1 updates because I can't afford to go out and buy another new machine. I bought my awesome ASUS ROG G752VY-DH72 a few years back just so I could use Iray:

Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz Skylake, 64GB DDR4, NVIDIA GTX980M 4GB GDDR5

This makes me wonder if I could use the latest version of DS and Genesis 8.1 on my machine after all.

Only the GPU needs updating, 4GB is not really enough and the card is quite old/may not support Iray for long - Otherwise the computer is fine. 

• rexhavit@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,178
    edited January 2021

If your scene is too big for a card it will render with the CPU, if it renders with the CPU it will not use CUDA cores.

You have to learn how to use texture compression if you plan to add a lot to your scenes and still expect it to use your graphics card(s) to render.

I can tell you off hand that adding several figures and huge environment, props hair etc... into the scene will definitely not fit in most cards.

You have to delete extraneous things and possibly fiddle with the texture compression. The default texture compression settings usually work well for me though.

It becomes apparent that you can load a much larger scene into Daz than your cards can render. So you have to downsize the scenes until they fit.

You can render a scene in canvas layers and reassemble it in Photoshop also as a workaround.

4 gb is enough for two figures and a "very" modest environment (maybe).

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • DarkElfDarkElf Posts: 289

Thanks for this Rexred.Good information.

Would you say I SHOULD be able to use the current version of DS if I kept the scene smallish?

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited January 2021

FYI, attached are some images that might help. The first shows how to use the W10 built-in Task Manager to see what your GPU's are doing. Under Performance, click on any of the dropdown arrows and select "Cuda" to see the loading on the GPU's. Also, at the bottom, under "Dedicated GPU Memory Usage" you'll see how much total GPU memory is being used. 

The second image shows me rendering a single character in D|S 4.15 on an 11GB GTX-1080ti. Looks like it's using about 4GB (which includes D|S plus Iray rendering plus whatever the other system apps are using of the GPU memory). As others have said, it doesn't take much to use all the VRAM of a GPU.

Also, keep in mind that in order to keep the scene in system memory before it sends it to the GPU you'll need a bunch of system RAM to hold the scene. Note that my simple scene is using over 11GB of system RAM (which of course includes the OS and some other apps running concurrently, like my browser which takes a ton of memory). 

So my guess is my simple scene is using like 6+ GB of system RAM and 4GB of GPU VRAM.

Instructions.jpg
    1095 x 872 - 206K
    Loading.JPG
    1092 x 867 - 129K
    Post edited by ebergerly on