Genesis/Michael 8.1 Out and they are Great!

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181
edited January 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am really loving the new Genesis/Michael 8.1 figures!

What do you like most about these new figures?

Have you noticed any issues so far?

I like that my previous figure's dials still work with them.

Beards and hair work and no more reptile skin on the necks 

and I expect a lot of new figures built on these figures will be coming out soon!

New skin textures yay!

The shape and appearance of the new Michael 8.1 is gorgeous!

Big kudos to the artists who created them.

Both figures are Michael 8.1

The one seated on the left has been morhphed. :)

Image title, "Torn"

...but not broken.

Torn Small With Logo.jpg
1500 x 1274 - 1M
Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• JethalJethal Posts: 35

As long as the Genesis 8.0 stuff still works, i'm fine with 8.1.. my biggest issue is the new "Neck" texture mapping.. my old character maps, which include layered tattoos, arent matching up

Screenshot 2021-01-27 072436.jpg
    904 x 500 - 83K
    Screenshot 2021-01-27 072557.jpg
    901 x 500 - 78K
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181
    edited January 2021

Yea Jethal, the seam being around the neck can be an issue, for those cases Gen 8 will have to do.

Thanks for posting your work here. :) 

Michael and Gen 8.1 gives us a high quality character when needed. 

I am glad that most other stuff works still, I plan to use Michael 8.1 for most scenes. 

Please post your Michael 8.1 and Genesis 8.1 scenes here Daz peeps!

Victoria 8.1 is welcome too! :)

Post edited by RexRed on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Jethal said:

As long as the Genesis 8.0 stuff still works, i'm fine with 8.1.. my biggest issue is the new "Neck" texture mapping.. my old character maps, which include layered tattoos, arent matching up

Someone mentioned a map transfer technique with Vicky 8.1, should work with Micheal 8.1 as well.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

Jethal said:

i thought we could use the G8 UV on G8.1?  im too lazy to check

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

I'm very pleased with Michael 8.1. The skin looks good and the vellus hairs and body hair work great! Also, as an extremely minor thing, I also appreciate that they spelled "blond" correctly in the names of the color presets.

Having separate hair objects probably means they will work well even when Genesis 8 materials are applied to the character. I can't wait to find time to experiment with updating G8 characters to 8.1 and see if the head and face shapes work. And to try out the new expression controls!

Thanks, DAZ, for the free 8.1 updates and for making Michael 8.1 such a quality character.

I second that Inkubo, big thanks to Daz for making these awesome figures to work with and I admire them very much! My art subscribers already love them too! They are saying, "Nice photo!" lol, I might just leave it at that. :)

Paintbox said:

Jethal said:

Someone mentioned a map transfer technique with Vicky 8.1, should work with Micheal 8.1 as well.

I am noticing this procedure it looks involved.

Something to spend a day learning and a week or more transferring and saving.

I am wonderng if the old textures benefit from the new UV layout? 

:)

RexRed said:

Paintbox said:

Jethal said:

Old textures of course will not benefit from a different UV layout than the one they were made for.

Change a UV doesnt take a day learning and a week transferring.  It takes 5 seconds.

When you apply a G8 material preset to G8.1, it assigns the G8 (base male) UV set anyway.  If it doesnt, you can just go to the surface and click the UV button and choose base male.  Dunno what world y'all live in where that is a week long process.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    edited January 2021

lilweep said:

RexRed said:

Paintbox said:

Jethal said:

Old textures of course will not benefit from a different UV layout than the one they were made for.

Change a UV doesnt take a day learning and a week transferring.  It takes 5 seconds.

When you apply a G8 material preset to G8.1, it assigns the G8 (base male) UV set anyway.  If it doesnt, you can just go to the surface and click the UV button and choose base male.  Dunno what world y'all live in where that is a week long process.

Think they meant transferring and upscaling the old material UV layout to the new material UV layout. That would take more than 5 seconds although things like DLSS upscaled might make the process faster and better quality than it used to be.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

nonesuch00 said:

lilweep said:

RexRed said:

Paintbox said:

Jethal said:

Think they meant transferring and upscal;ing the old material UV layout to the new material UV layout. That would take more than 5 seconds although things like DLSS upscaled might make the process faster and better quality than it used to be.

people really wasting their time on that just for minute improvements in texel density? 

edited January 2021

It would take me maybe not a day but hours and hours to learn which textures need to be replaced for which settings which folders to store them in and then fine tuning the dials to blend them appropriately for each figure.

I am quite well aware of what this entails.

I am sure it took the guy who posted his description of the process several hours to figure out the process and hours to detail his experience. That alone is just about a day's work, for one figure.

I suppose after one figure is done the rest would be considerably easier but multiply that times 75 to 100 figures.

And it would take me a week or at least several days to do that to all 75 or so figures I have and then there are overlays tattoos and a slew of other things like dirt, wounds, makeup and a ton of other stuff to consider how that all fits into the equation.

It gets really complicated when overlays cross UV boundaries and trying to align both components up I have tried doing that before and it took hours only to in the end fail.

I will have to address this issue because there are at least a good handful of textures from Gen 8 figures I would really like to try to use.

My brain spins just thinking about it. 

I bought the new texture rotate product it will take me an hour just to find that even. lol

I got some woodgrain going the wrong way... :)

Post edited by RexRed on

ok but why... what's so special about the new UV's that it's worth a week of your time?  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

lilweep said:

ok but why... what's so special about the new UV's that it's worth a week of your time?  

well it gives a lot more realestate to the ears for starters yes

if ears are your thing kiss 

I will live with these improvements for awhile to fully understand the differences.

I definitely plan to use the new Michael in my scenes and as time goes on the process for converting the textures may not seem so daunting.

Especially if I convert them on a need-to basis.

RexRed said:

if I convert them on a need-to basis.

oh, so never.

except maybe the ears apparently.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

lilweep said:

nonesuch00 said:

lilweep said:

RexRed said:

Paintbox said:

Jethal said:

Think they meant transferring and upscal;ing the old material UV layout to the new material UV layout. That would take more than 5 seconds although things like DLSS upscaled might make the process faster and better quality than it used to be.

people really wasting their time on that just for minute improvements in texel density? 

To answer your question: yes

HowTo: Create missing Genesis 8.1 Head skin maps from Genesis 8/3 skin maps - Daz 3D Forums

And that's the easiest way I guess but I haven't tried it too see if it's actually complete conversion to 8.1 UVs. I will try it though.

If one has aspirations to be a good shader materials artist that sort of small job is a pretty good starting point where you can compare the before and after and have plenty of difference material sets to illustrate bad seems (just apply 8 shader materials to 8.1 and then go change the UVs to 8.1 to see the seems on the neck and eyes) and how good a job you did converting to the new 8.1. UVs You can have the old 8 shader materials on 8 and the converted 8.1 shader materials on 8.1 and see how good you did. With the number of DAZ 8 characters you can get a lot of practical practice in too.

It seems you can use Michael 8.1 eyes on Michael 8.

Are there any problems with this?

Though, Michael 8.1 eyelashes don't work yet on Michael 8.