DAZ is losing me

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

certaintree38 said:

I don't know, but whenever a family member asks about Daz I feel obligated to mention that it costs a lot of money. I think the big problem is that while $40 will get you up and running with knitting, diamond painting, watercolor, or needle felting, it takes considerably more money to have what you want for a project in Daz. By the time you have a library you are happy with, you have invested a lot.  

Have you DONE knitting?

You can get you up and running with Daz for literally free, and if you go rummaging for free content, you can continue to spend nothing for quite some time.

If you want more for a specific project, I invite you to price out what a comforter would cost you to knit and all the tools involved.

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited February 2021

tsarist said:

Oso3D said:

I always find it puzzling when people think this is an expensive hobby and wonder what hobbies they've encountered that are significantly cheaper.

It's not golf, miniatures, trains, knitting, or painting, I'll tell you that much.

Writing, reading, photography, drawing. There ARE hobbies that don't cost much

There's also the issue that we don't actually own any of the assets we've bought. You can sell, gift, or pass on as an inheritance the stamps, model trains (my husband does this, ha!), knitting projects, and bags full of expensive golf clubs. Can't do that with 3D purchases, unless something has dramatically changed while I was busy gardening.

The ever-changing hardware is a monetary factor too. I started out with DS 1.8, then couldn't use DS 2 or DS 3 on my laptop, and so I bought a new desk top computer and rendering life was good for awhile. But that computer eventually couldn't handle Genesis 1, so I basically sat out Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 until I got another desk top. When iray was introduced my video card and general system specs weren't good enough to make that render engine much of an option -- and it completely failed to handle dForce.

Bought yet another computer last summer and once again am more or less caught up, hardware-wise. Running the newest DS seems okay, except now mesh smoothing makes the skin on my figures see-through in 3DL sometimes. Sigh...

I still buy frequently, if not as much as I used to. Some of that might be content fatigue; I have a LOT of stuff. I don't buy bundles unless it's an astonishgly good deal. Mostly because I usually only want the core character and the rest of the products aren't of much use for what I do. I'm picky, yet my wishlist never gets any shorter. There's a lot of wishing, just not enough fun money for it all.

Post edited by mmalbert on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited February 2021

You can run 4.11 quite well with 4.15. 4.15 requires newer drivers. I downgraded to 4.11 and restored an earlier driver. 4.11 does not drop to cpu or is as memory intensive  since I believe it uses an earlier version of Iray. Of course you can't use newer technologies that only run in the later studio, but such is life. You may have 4.11 in your product library

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

Serene Night said:

For me it is the increasing hardware demand. I was excited to get genesis 8.1 since I tend to be an early adopter. But 4.15 requires too much gpu and with nvidia driving the bus I fear I can't even render two figures in a scene without dropping.

So sadly, iam not buying g8.1 or anything that requires 4.15 

I am going back to 4.11 which is much less intensive for my gpu. I can't afford a new gpu to run 4.15. Not when 4.11 works fine and runs what I need. I don't want to play the nvidia upgrade game, it's too expensive for me as a hobbyist.

I have 4.15 installed right now, but I have seen my renders dropping to cpu constantly lately. So I just went through my old hard drive and found I have several older versions of Daz kicking around. Now to see if I can have two versions installed at once! I wish Daz made older versions of the program more readably available. I don't see how it could harm their bottom line. 

I had the same problem years ago with Daz & oddly Microsoft. You'd think there would be at least ONE disc lying around with the older software on it.

It would be very easy to simply keep the older software available in your "product library" in case it's needed.

I have taken to saving old versions of Daz ( 4.8, 4.10, 4.12) even though I'm running 4.9 because it works nicely with Windows 7. Somehow I missed 4.11 and 4.14
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited February 2021

certaintree38 said:

Serene Night said:

For me it is the increasing hardware demand. I was excited to get genesis 8.1 since I tend to be an early adopter. But 4.15 requires too much gpu and with nvidia driving the bus I fear I can't even render two figures in a scene without dropping.

I am going back to 4.11 which is much less intensive for my gpu. I can't afford a new gpu to run 4.15. Not when 4.11 works fine and runs what I need. I don't want to play the nvidia upgrade game, it's too expensive for me as a hobbyist.

I have 4.15 installed right now, but I have seen my renders dropping to cpu constantly lately. So I just went through my old hard drive and found I have several older versions of Daz kicking around. Now to see if I can have two versions installed at once! I wish Daz made older versions of the program more readably available. I don't see how it could harm their bottom line. 

If you have a GTX gpu and not a RTX gpu you will experience that drop tp cpu issues is because of the NVIDIA driver after 436.7 have the Opitex prime accelerator always on by default  to compensate for the Raytrace values in RTX cards so if you have a GTX  Opitex prime uses more vram .  in the older versions of daz before 4.12.0.86 you could turn off opitex prime as a option in the render settings . But my understanding is the NVIDIA driver has as more to do with the opitex prime accelerator being the major issue and that not daz fault .. Maybe why Daz Studio has started adding Filament as a Renderer because a lot of people can get access to daz studio  But can't get a graphics card . But yeah if you got aa GTX  GPU  I would suspect its the opitex prime making your renders throw to CPU , other wise if you want to use a RTX card  you got have at least 8gigs of vrams to use iray in 4.15

Post edited by Ivy on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

hjake said:

Oso3D said:

I always find it puzzling when people think this is an expensive hobby and wonder what hobbies they've encountered that are significantly cheaper.

It's not golf, miniatures, trains, knitting, or painting, I'll tell you that much.

WHAT! knitting is as expensive as my 3D spending ....  stomps over to significant other ..... grumbles ... "no wonder we can't afford our low fat high fructose Frappuccino!!! You're as bad as me with all your knitting!!!!"   ...  stomps away grumbling   .... significant other sits there wondering what the heck was that  ....

I'm a crocheter and I can make my granny square afghans for a little bit of nothing buying yarn remnants. It's dirt cheap compared to my Daz habit. LOL 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited February 2021

mmalbert said:

tsarist said:

Oso3D said:

Writing, reading, photography, drawing. There ARE hobbies that don't cost much

There's also the issue that we don't actually own any of the assets we've bought. You can sell, gift, or pass on as an inheritance the stamps, model trains (my husband does this, ha!), knitting projects, and bags full of expensive golf clubs. Can't do that with 3D purchases, unless something has dramatically changed while I was busy gardening.

Yes, that's a big issue.  Imagine you've built a business based on DAZ products, then it's impossible to sell that business to someone else.  I'm not sure if DAZ would get away with that if they were located in Europe where the laws are different.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Oso3D said:

certaintree38 said:

I don't know, but whenever a family member asks about Daz I feel obligated to mention that it costs a lot of money. I think the big problem is that while $40 will get you up and running with knitting, diamond painting, watercolor, or needle felting, it takes considerably more money to have what you want for a project in Daz. By the time you have a library you are happy with, you have invested a lot.  

Have you DONE knitting?

You can get you up and running with Daz for literally free, and if you go rummaging for free content, you can continue to spend nothing for quite some time.

If you want more for a specific project, I invite you to price out what a comforter would cost you to knit and all the tools involved.

I have done knitting. I got $5 worth of knitting needles and $20 worth of yarn and a free pattern they had laying around the craft store. Why on earth would I want to start with a comforter when I was just beginning?

And ok, I DID start Daz entirely for free, back when you got the woodland playset. I was able to make two pictures, not very good ones, and then I wanted something more specific- because fairies are not my jam and don't reflect my personality at all. So I spent $60, and because there was very little in the way of obvious documentation, I got textures instead of base meshes,  V4 items when I had V3, and a set of clothes that looked really good. So then I got the base mesh for the textures, put my Micheal in the study, and made a really nice picture. By this time, I am into Daz for $85 and I have three pictures, only one of them that reflects my tastes.  

Over the years, Daz has released a LOT of nice freebies, and I have tried to get as many as I could. Even after years of collecting said freebies, I didn't have enough to make a picture that really suited my tastes. Especially props-wise. In order to do that, I had to start shopping the deals, looking at sales very frequently and I had to begin buying things that I didn't necessarily need at the moment, just so that I wouldn't end up paying full price in order to use them later. No wait, I bought some stuff at full price first. Man, did that suck! Then I started shopping the deals. Of course, I bought into the pc club so that I could take advantage of the best deals and get the deepest discounts. Ka-ching! 

Yes, you can play with the underwear and the older models and just do portraits for free. But you won't be able to make the face you want, have the atmosphere you want, the clothes you want, unless you invest actual money. Yes, you could technically do it all in blender for free, but one of Daz's selling points is that it's "easy." That's part of the product. That's what draws many of us here. We want to compose, not model. As for the free products, there is some really nice stuff available but a library it does not make. If you want to do anything specific, you are probably shelling out cash. You are upgrading your pc from time to time and you are getting items that speak to your interests and aesthetics. 

I know an avid knitter. She makes hats and baby blankets and scarves and she doesn't spend a lot. But she also does a bunch of other stuff and she gives away most of her creations, which probably saves her money come Christmas and at baby showers. She just started needle felting, which is cheap but apparently hard on your fingers. She used the needle felt animals she made as stocking stuffers for her three little boys. It was very cute. 

Also... Who makes a comforter with yarn? I guess you could... But it is easily the biggest project I can imagine for knitting. The biggest project I can imagine for Daz is MUCH more expensive wink

Ivy said:

certaintree38 said:

Serene Night said:

If you have a GTX gpu and not a RTX gpu you will experience that drop tp cpu issues is because of the NVIDIA driver after 436.7 have the Opitex prime accelerator always on by default  to compensate for the Raytrace values in RTX cards so if you have a GTX  Opitex prime uses more vram .  in the older versions of daz before 4.12.0.86 you could turn off opitex prime as a option in the render settings . But my understanding is the NVIDIA driver has as more to do with the opitex prime accelerator being the major issue and that not daz fault .. Maybe why Daz Studio has started adding Filament as a Renderer because a lot of people can get access to daz studio  But can't get a graphics card . But yeah if you got aa GTX  GPU  I would suspect its the opitex prime making your renders throw to CPU , other wise if you want to use a RTX card  you got have at least 8gigs of vrams to use iray in 4.15

This has been my experience, which is why 4.11 works well for me. I am surprised that DAZ STore could not work with Nvidia to resolve this issue though. This is going to impact their customer base.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

certaintree38 said:

Also... Who makes a comforter with yarn? 

I had to giggle at that idea, too. laugh

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,667

My gramma crochet a few comforters, took her months I think. She made quilts too. If she wasn't cookin or cannin foods, she was knittin or crocheting. She would make us all sweaters and hats every year, and make a few hundred extras she donated to the church poor people shop.

Crocheted comforters are lovely. I would have one on my bed, but doggo would tear it up. She prefers sleeping on a fleece blanket. So there we have it.

• If Daz does not want people using older software at least warn people new version is a few days away and let us back up our old installers. I still buy stuff but have slowed down because I am doing other things.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Philippi_Child said:

I am a hobbyist and I too have been here for a long time, just after Zygote became Daz. For me I purchase new items that interests me or looks like fun to mess with. Then I load up my wish list of items I really want and then wait. At some point they go on sale of there are great coupons or discounts with my PC memenbership. I really like my PC membership I've picked many things that normallyI couldn't touch. For me the best thing I do is be selective and not purchase every new shining item that is released. I used to do that and I found I had a library full I things I never used.

Have to agree with your approach although I've fortunately not to many "and why did I buy this" items.  Daz is simply applying basic marketing techniques along with new technology. I mean, P.T. Barnum was well aware of the concept that last century or so. I'm certainly not gonna fault them for that. How do you think Amazon came about?

But there is something to say for new shiny things occassionally, ya know. My decision factor is often towards supporting the particular artist. Mentally vision how long it woud take you to make a particualr item & then do the wage math.

Often humbling.

P.S.  Likes your Avatar.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Serene Night said:

Crocheted comforters are lovely. I would have one on my bed, but doggo would tear it up. She prefers sleeping on a fleece blanket. So there we have it.

Maybe regoinal differences in what a "comforter" is. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited February 2021

tsarist said:

hjake said:

IMO the products are not under/over-priced. They are priced at the level the seller thinks the market will accept. DAZ and Renderosity are still very inexpensive places to get piles of 3D assets without paying $100 per model.  I think the DAZ/Rendo stores exemplify the American model of capitalism. You vote with your dollars. 

I think people ARE voting with their dollars. I know I have been spending less overall, as have people I know in the real world.

I really dislike the "it's more expensive over at Turbosquid" argument. I'm a pro too and I know if you're looking for something over there you have a REAL budget or you just can't find what the client INSISTS on having at Daz or Rendo & you can't build it (or haven't the time) yourself.

Yeah,it is more expensive over there. My fear is the increasing prices here will make costs too high for my productions AND cause the hobbyists to stop buying.

I wouldn't do this as a hobby. Too expensive, even now. Just hoping others don't think (or start) the same way.

...for those of us on tight incomes it's not necessarily "voting with our wallets" as it having to be careful of our spending.  This is part of why why I don't buy many figure/character bundles unless I feel I will use everything included (which is quite rare) and, like I mentioned earlier, why my content library isn't as large as others who haven't been here as long as I have.  With having become rather adept  at "dial spinning custom characters, along with a wider selection of resource content that is available I have been able to keep expenses down.  The only time I purchase a character or base figure is if it would "add a uniqueness it has to the collective gene pool" (apologies). M<ost of my purchases lover the lat few years has been environments and props, along with shader collections, utilities, merchant resources, and scripts.  I have also become quite skilled at to kitbashing (I refer to it as "meshbashing") as my modelling skills are nothing to write home about (yet).

I think the two most expensive content purchases I've made since I came on board here 13 years ago were Hexagon back in 2008 when it was "on sale" at 50% off the full rpice of 149$ and Carrara 8,5 for 55$.  PC memberships (which pay themselves back) and gift cards I tend look at as "money" in the "Daz bank".

I actually have purchased items now and then from Turbosquid and CG Trader (limited to those priced under 25$ and only .obj format that doesn't need conversion) which cannot be found here or at Rendo (I am also on their lists for sales notifications). 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I read somewhere on the forums that sales have actually been up since the store changeover. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited February 2021

barbult said:

certaintree38 said:

this was pretty cheap to knit and crochet, all synthetic, took me a year,  I remembered as a result of this discussion that I better wash, it, it was in my car for years, laid it on my bed for this photo and it stinks! 

B42E1530-82C2-4DD7-88FE-AF62D3B1E0B2.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited February 2021

Ivy said:

...aother reason I am staying with the 4.12.0.47 Beta.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    edited February 2021

WendyLuvsCatz said:

barbult said:

certaintree38 said:

this was pretty cheap to knit and crochet, all synthetic, took me a year,  I remembered as a result of this discussion that I better wash, it, it was in my car for years, laid it on my bed for this photo and it stinks! 

I'd call that a blanket or a bed spread. As an ESL speaker I'd come to understand that comforter is a regional term for duvet (or the other way around perhaps)....

(Edit: also: nice work!)

Post edited by Nath on
    edited February 2021

Nath said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

barbult said:

certaintree38 said:

I'd call that a blanket or a bed spread. As an ESL speaker I'd come to understand that comforter is a regional term for duvet (or the other way around perhaps)....

(Edit: also: nice work!)

well another year and I could have had the other side cheeky

I know it's a blanket, the comment just made me remember I had it and get it out to look at it

and I haven't knitted or crocheted for many years now, I get arthritis if I do

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,018

This is probably not the thread to poke out what might be the difference, and it's mostly that I'm super curious as to why. But I have a GTX 1080 founder's edition card and if I'm not mistaken there are people in this thread with more powerful/recent cards finding it hard to render, where I've felt like recently it's been much easier for me to do stuff. Granted, I've gotten better at scene optimization, but I used to struggle to build any scene more complex than a character in a chair. After updates in the past few months I've been able to work on scenes with at least two characters and some environment props in Iray viewport and then render without it dropping to CPU. 

At the same time I've gotten more crashes that appear to be related to Iray, but I'm kind of nervous about upgrading now unless I can somehow swing one of the 30 series cards. 

• Cost of hobbies.

One of my other hobbies (not the fountain pen making one) is cross stitch. I have written a freebie program to convert from digital images to charts. The user can go to an insane level of colours if they wish. And some do. Three years ago I started a multi-year project of an image of our late Maine Coon cat Gryff when he was a kitten in the snow. This is 123 colours blended from 154 thread colours. My current progress is:

This comes from a converted image of:

Where 1 pixel = 1 stitch. Now, the cost of the threads initially is fairly high. They retail in the UK at about £1.20 per skein, and 163 were needed. I managed to find a grey importer who did them at £0.47p each, or close to US retail prices, so all told the cross stitch including fabric is going to cost £70. This, so far, has taken 5 years and I anticipate another 3. So, given that I can't do more than 100 stitches an hour (in places due to complexity, 60 an hour is fast) and there are 110,000 stitches, I think that's relatively inexpensive per hour. Considerably less expensive than rendering with free software...

Regards,

Richard

• evacyn said:

dragoneyes002 said:

Daz 3D is a very expensive hobby because the hobbist is not selling the renders or doing it for commissions and there will never be an increase in value of the items bought to do the hobby. it litterally is the hobby with the least return on the investment for it!

True, but hobbies by definition are not meant for making money. To use that argument, you could also say there's no monetary return on golf or skiing or fishing (maybe you eat it?) and at least for my family and friends who quilt, sew, knit, paint, etc. do so to make gifts or just for the joy of it.

Golf is not just a hobby very few people spend serious money on golfing just to golf. its a business investment for the most part. the true hobbyist will just spend the minimum plus fee's to do the hobby. Skiing (being a black double diamond skiier) is crazy expensive but its a sport not a hobby you do it to stay fit and enjoy the outdoors. Jogging is not a hobby either. Fishing can be both a sport or hobby or even a form of feeding yourself. hobbyists can spend crazy funds on poles lures and everything up to boats for it. but you will get a return on your money in the shape of Fish its up to you if you release them or fill a freezer with them but they have value. Money is not the only Value but it is being discussed in this thread and I'll repeat that renders don't have an intrinsic value to give them the least bit of one you'd have to have them printed out or use some kind of digital display for them for the artwork value. sitting in a folder on a hard drive is the same as painting in the closet they don't have much of their art value unseen!

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    Very clever, Oso. You got them talking about knitting and golf and off the subject of Daz going in the wrong direction.
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,603
    edited February 2021

Ivy said:

certaintree38 said:

Serene Night said:

I'm on 4.15 with a GTX 1080TI and the most recent NVIDIA driver and don't have any more issues with dropping to CPU than I did on 4.12 or 4.14. I've never really had renders dropping to CPU while baking. Sometimes I can't get a large scene to fit right at the start, but then Scene Optimizer generally takes care of that. But once I'm able to get it onto the GPU, I've never had problems with it staying there. I think with 4.11, I was able to fit more into a scene before it hit that threshold of not fitting on the card, and yeah that is annoying. Thankfully, my scenes these days pretty much consist of only one character, so I haven't had many instances where the lower ceiling gets hit. 

That being said, I'm on the lookout for the 3080TI when it comes out...so hopefully sometime this year I'll have a new system.  

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • mwokee said:

Very clever, Oso. You got them talking about knitting and golf and off the subject of Daz going in the wrong direction.

safer topics here

and ones we may need to revisit while our CPU's slowly bake surprise ...

lovely crossstich Richardandtracy, that's true patience yes

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

It's no use urinating against the air current or to  expect the world to stand still.  The cycle of more powerful hardware leading to software that pushes its limits thing leading to yet more powerful has been the rule in the computer game since forever.  We wouldn't be doing all this stuff on the interwebs if that wasn't the case.  My first computer ran on an 8080 processor, and I'm glad I don't use it anymore.

edited February 2021

funny though, I haven't seen the ApStore or Google Play version of DAZ studio yet, this is where most are mobiley headded

note, rendering obviously cloud based

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

lovely crossstich Richardandtracy, that's true patience yes

Thanks. Years in the making, and a few more to go yet. I will be glad to finish it, I must admit.

Richard. 

This discussion has been closed.