New computer, new install - DIM not seeing my already installed?

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Ok. Going a bit nuts here. 

I have a new computer. I installed DS (program) on my C: drive. 

I have ALL my content on an external drive E: so I just needed to install the DS program itself and DIM. 

DIM is not seeing my already installed products on the external drive. My "installed" tab is blank. And the "ready to download" tab shows everything I haven't downloaded PLUS all the stuff I already have downloaded onto my E: external drive. 

Screenshot shows "Installation" settings in dim. (click for larger)

What am I doing wrong? 

diminstall.jpg
986 x 982 - 187K

Comments

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

It's my (admittedly limited) understanding that Daz uses manifest files to keep track of what's installed. If DIM isn't seeing them, then maybe they have been misplaced or the path in your settings is incorrect.

Where were you previously keeping your manifest files? They are normally sent somewhere other than your library. The default path is somewhere in the C drive Users public documents. If you find them, I *think* all you need to do is set the correct path in the "manifest archive" setting so that Daz can see them.

I have no idea if there is any way to generate manifest files in case you accidentally deleted them.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Ahhh. I have no idea where the manifest files were on my old machine. I was wondering what they were. Hmmmmm if they weren't kept on the external drive where the content is, and I don't think they were, then is my only option to redownload everything?? 

certaintree38 said:

It's my (admittedly limited) understanding that Daz uses manifest files to keep track of what's installed. If DIM isn't seeing them, then maybe they have been misplaced or the path in your settings is incorrect.

Where were you previously keeping your manifest files? They are normally sent somewhere other than your library. The default path is somewhere in the C drive Users public documents. If you find them, I *think* all you need to do is set the correct path in the "manifest archive" setting so that Daz can see them.

I have no idea if there is any way to generate manifest files in case you accidentally deleted them.

Unfortunately, I think so. But I would wait to see what other people say before starting the process, just in case.

I recently ended up downloading and reinstalling a bunch of stuff just so I could have Daz3d uninstall it easily (I lost my manifest files too.) It didn't take that long, but there were only maybe 2k items. I did have to watch my download sizes though. If you go over your data allocation, the internet company might charge you extra.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited March 2021

certaintree38 said:

Or move the files, in this case to E:\My Library, though I'd suggest E:\My Library\ManifestFiles ("ManifestFiles" is the default folder name). 

Currently not, unfortunately.  I think it might be possible to write some code that could do it but AFAIK DIM also writes some install data to the CMS which would be missing then. 

Also note that there are two different types of Manifest files, those in the ManifestFiles folder and those who accompany the download zips in the Downloads folder, and they can't replace each other.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited March 2021

It wont unless you can copy over your files from your old computer.

I have the Install Manger from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Daz 3d\InstallManager copied to my E drive and point Studio to that; that way, no issues with that at least if I have to re-install.

I have this: E:\Documents\InstallManager\ManifestFiles; it can easily contain thousands of files.

I have my downloads on E too, slightly different place.

Post edited by nicstt on

So, are you saying that I have to wipe my external drive, point DIM to it again for the manifest files, and redownload everything again? 

Taoz said:

certaintree38 said:

Or move the files, in this case to E:\My Library, though I'd suggest E:\My Library\ManifestFiles ("ManifestFiles" is the default folder name). 

Currently not, unfortunately.  I think it might be possible to write some code that could do it but AFAIK DIM also writes some install data to the CMS which would be missing then. 

Also note that there are two different types of Manifest files, those in the ManifestFiles folder and those who accompany the download zips in the Downloads folder, and they can't replace each other.

jakiblue said:

So, are you saying that I have to wipe my external drive, point DIM to it again for the manifest files, and redownload everything again? 

I wouldn't wipe your drive, just reinstall everything. The new files will overwrite the old ones and you will save yourself some time. You will also be able to do it in batches while still having access to your content through the content library. I would make a manifest archive folder in Daz3d/install manager/Manifest files or something like that, so that it's close to your library but not mixed in. 

edited March 2021

jakiblue said:

Like @certaintree38 says, just reinstall everything from your already downloaded install files.

And if E:\My Library is your content library folder, I'd also recommend not putting anything else in that folder.    

I have my downloaded install files on an external drive I:, my content library is in F:\My DAZ 3D Library, and the Manifest files in F:\3D Content\DAZ Installmanager\ManifestFiles

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited March 2021

To reinstall, means to redownload via DIM. DIM shows nothing as being already installed, and everything is in the "ready to download" section.  Am I getting the wrong end of the stick, I think I'm not quite getting what you are saying? I can't "reinstall" as I don't have the originally downloaded files - they delete from DIM as soon as I install them.  I would have to download again the product, to reinstall it. And as I rename most folders after installation it wouldn't overwrite the already installed products due to the different product folder names. 

It's the "manifest" ones that I'm confused about - the manifest archive path should be the same as where all my content goes? Is that correct? 

EDIT: i honestly have no idea where the manifest files path was originally - the computer died at xmas, it won't even turn on, so i can't even look at the DIM installed on that machine to see the file paths. 

Post edited by jakiblue on

First things first: Do Not send the manifest archive files to the same place you send your content. Create a special folder just for these files. If you like the way your content is set up, you can still download and install your content from DIM without touching your current library setup. Simply install your content to your Daz Library in the usual way. Files will show up as they were originally designed to do, but your old content will remain where it is also. 

Example: Let's say you already have Leonard HD installed, only you had previously moved his character folder to a subfolder in G8M marked "Sexy men," where you keep all your hottest characters,  because you like that better.  When you reinstall Leonard, he will install back to where the creator originally intended and a new character folder will appear in G8 men. But your files will also remain. So now you have two character folders for Leonard, one where the creator originally decided he should go, and one where you like to keep him (in this case, the sexy men folder). You only have to delete the character folder that is in the location that you do not want. Leave the textures and data files alone.

It is the same for other items that you have moved from their original location. Install your products in the regular way to your Library. Keep the user-facing files that you want and delete the files that are now duplicate and unecessary. And don't forget: leave textures and data files alone. 

Now, since you have reinstalled Leonard, a manifest file will be generated and DIM will be able to see that it is installed. Should you ever decide to uninstall Leonard, DIM isn't going to know that you have a few pieces of that product under "Sexy men," in your G8M folder, but that is just what happens when you move files from their original file path. But using DIM to remove Leonard will uninstall all the data files and textures, and all you would have to do is delete the Leonard files from your "Sexy men" folder. And deleting these user-facing files is a LOT easier than digging around and deleting the data and textures by hand. 

I hope that made sense. smiley

If you have the hard drive space, you might want to consider keeping your package files, in case you should ever want to reinstall stuff again or restore items after a bad update. Just a thought. You can tell DIM not to delete package files after installation by unchecking a box on the bottom of your DIM screen. 

Ok I'm getting it now. LOL. Yes that made sense. 

I really don't have the hard drive space to keep that many package files - i could buy another external drive but I can't right now, that'd be a few months away. 

Reorganising my content is something that I find soothing (believe it or not LOL) so if I had to start again with a clean install, I don't really mind that, to tell the truth. I feel if I am downloading them all through DIM again anyway, I may as well start again. 

It was the manifest files that lost me - I honestly had not even noticed that before. LOL. Or if I did, it's been so long that I totally forgot. I haven't touched the install paths in DIM since I first started using it, so it was a bit of a surprise to see it. 

Thanks everyone for the help - I forgot about DIM's paths when I just thought that I could use my external as I normally did on a new install. 

Next step, trying to remember the custom layouts and styles I used LOL

certaintree38 said:

First things first: Do Not send the manifest archive files to the same place you send your content. Create a special folder just for these files. If you like the way your content is set up, you can still download and install your content from DIM without touching your current library setup. Simply install your content to your Daz Library in the usual way. Files will show up as they were originally designed to do, but your old content will remain where it is also. 

Example: Let's say you already have Leonard HD installed, only you had previously moved his character folder to a subfolder in G8M marked "Sexy men," where you keep all your hottest characters,  because you like that better.  When you reinstall Leonard, he will install back to where the creator originally intended and a new character folder will appear in G8 men. But your files will also remain. So now you have two character folders for Leonard, one where the creator originally decided he should go, and one where you like to keep him (in this case, the sexy men folder). You only have to delete the character folder that is in the location that you do not want. Leave the textures and data files alone.

It is the same for other items that you have moved from their original location. Install your products in the regular way to your Library. Keep the user-facing files that you want and delete the files that are now duplicate and unecessary. And don't forget: leave textures and data files alone. 

Now, since you have reinstalled Leonard, a manifest file will be generated and DIM will be able to see that it is installed. Should you ever decide to uninstall Leonard, DIM isn't going to know that you have a few pieces of that product under "Sexy men," in your G8M folder, but that is just what happens when you move files from their original file path. But using DIM to remove Leonard will uninstall all the data files and textures, and all you would have to do is delete the Leonard files from your "Sexy men" folder. And deleting these user-facing files is a LOT easier than digging around and deleting the data and textures by hand. 

I hope that made sense. smiley

If you have the hard drive space, you might want to consider keeping your package files, in case you should ever want to reinstall stuff again or restore items after a bad update. Just a thought. You can tell DIM not to delete package files after installation by unchecking a box on the bottom of your DIM screen. 

jakiblue said:

Ok I'm getting it now. LOL. Yes that made sense. 

I really don't have the hard drive space to keep that many package files - i could buy another external drive but I can't right now, that'd be a few months away. 

Reorganising my content is something that I find soothing (believe it or not LOL) so if I had to start again with a clean install, I don't really mind that, to tell the truth. I feel if I am downloading them all through DIM again anyway, I may as well start again. 

It was the manifest files that lost me - I honestly had not even noticed that before. LOL. Or if I did, it's been so long that I totally forgot. I haven't touched the install paths in DIM since I first started using it, so it was a bit of a surprise to see it. 

Thanks everyone for the help - I forgot about DIM's paths when I just thought that I could use my external as I normally did on a new install. 

Next step, trying to remember the custom layouts and styles I used LOL

Ah, the zen of organizing things. Good luck, have fun!

Instead of moving files around you could create your own categories, that won't move the original files so they are updated correctly by DIM if there are product updates. 

True, but it's not so much moving them around, as it's renaming the product folders  to be more coherent to me (i don't like "dForce" to be at the start of the outfit name, prefer it at the end. Plus I put '!' at the beginning of the core DO iconic figure bases so they are all sitting at the beginning with all other characters coming after that) Also, I did try creating categories - but the process was incredibly slow. And I mean the reaction time from daz studio was slow when I did it. I don't know if that is normal for DS or whether my computing power at the time wasn't high (but it handled rendering perfectly fine and other stuff) - I would have done everything in categories but for that. 

Taoz said:

Instead of moving files around you could create your own categories, that won't move the original files so they are updated correctly by DIM if there are product updates. 

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367

OMG... If I had to re-download my many gigs of files, it'd take days and I'd go over my monthly cap with the ISP.

So glad I read this. When I get my new machine running, I will not use DIM, tho I had hoped to.
    Shame, I'd like to know what files need updating. what a crappy system!

edited March 2021

NotAnArtist said:

OMG... If I had to re-download my many gigs of files, it'd take days and I'd go over my monthly cap with the ISP.

So glad I read this. When I get my new machine running, I will not use DIM, tho I had hoped to.

There's nothing wrong with DIM, it's a really great tool (and the most reliable DAZ tool) for managing installation/uninstallation of your content.  You just need to know how it works which is a bit complex and not very well documented (if at all).  If you just keep your downloaded files and all relevant DIM data on other drive(s) than the system drive it's quite simple to reinstall the system or move things to a new PC.  If you do it the right way you basically just need to set the correct paths in DIM and DS (after moving the content drives to the new PC if you've replaced it) after the new system is set up.

Post edited by Taoz on

The only reason they are reinstalling is because they accidentally deleted thier manifest files. There's no problem if you don't delete these.

True. But I didn't delete the manifest files, they are on my dead computer. LOL.  

certaintree38 said:

NotAnArtist said:

The only reason they are reinstalling is because they accidentally deleted thier manifest files. There's no problem if you don't delete these.
  • NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367

What I gather from this discussion is you have to have been using DIM already, and still in possession of "manifest files" that it attaches to each prop.

The problem expressed here is a person's lack of manifest files.

I've never used DIM as a main source of files. So I'm in the same predicament. I download manually and segregate them into several of my own created "libraries" for a more logical way of access. Depending on the project, I can decide which libraries are visible by Daz Studio. Less clutter in the Content Library.

So Jakiblue is left with a load of props on her hard drive which, even though they're perfectly useable, have to be re-downloaded, just because of a system which requires that each have their own separate 'manifest' file for identification.

I had hoped to use DIM to find which files need to be updated, since they don't seem to change their file names when updated, and more importantly, unlike Rendero, there's no column in a person's file list showing update dates!

I'm retired and very low income. I've already been hit once with a charge for going over the ISP's cap. That's what I'm talking about.
    Sorry, Jakiblue, my point was simply that being required to re-download gigabytes of files which you already have, is just pathetic

edited March 2021

jakiblue said:

True. But I didn't delete the manifest files, they are on my dead computer. LOL.  

If the drive is OK you could just plug it into another PC and copy the files.  Just be sure that the content library is on the same path, as that is hardcoded into the manifest files.  You can change the path with this tool, if necessary:

https://3dcontentmanagers.com/software/freeware/clpdsx-daz/updates/cpldsx-1.000.zip

Just point it to the folder with the manifest files and enter the new library path and it will update the manifest files.  Warning: only use it if you only have a single library, otherwise the manifest files may contain mixed paths to different libraries which will all be set to the same path then (I'm planning on updating it so it can handle multiple library paths).

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733

I've moved or copied my DAZ content from a PC to a few Macs, and back to a new PC. I've never messed with the Manifest files, etc. I tell DIM and DAZ Studio where I have my installed files, original files, etc. 

DIM is a great idea, but it fails in the execution. That's because DAZ Studio content is scattered everywhere. I've wasted countless hours fiddling with the content settings, rearranging things, etc. I'm tired of it all.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Content is not scattered everywhere.  Content is installed where the install method, DIM, Central or Connect are told to install it.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I feel I can agree with folks who say stuff... appears to be scattered everywhere. Especially in customer-facing listings like the content pane.

Most recently, DIM did not install something properly for me, on two out of three computers total. Computer #3 seemed to call up (a) a new DIM, and (b) some sort of DIM helper - not sure if I've seen that before. Anyway #3 is turning out much better for this recent issue. FWIW "3" is a Windows 10 machine too - for me the migration to Win10 has been difficult so in a way it's nice to see something actually working for a change.smiley

Just saying.

DIM scatters content everywhere. That's because no one bothered to set up any organizing conventions. Content might be installed under the PA's name, or it might not. I never know where to find anything. 

Ron Knights said:

DIM scatters content everywhere. That's because no one bothered to set up any organizing conventions. Content might be installed under the PA's name, or it might not. I never know where to find anything. 

My library is a mess too for the same reason.   So I'm writing my own software to keep track of things. 

Taoz, I wish you the best of luck!

Ron Knights said:

Taoz, I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you! 

• Ron Knights said:

That isn't DIM scattering wildly - it's the original creator not using the same convention as other creators (or somemtimes misspelling a folder name), but as we know from previous discussions not everyone likes the same convention.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679

I recently was in the same situation. I have two tips:

• Reinstall Content as you go instead of installing absolutely everything. This will help with slow character loading
    • Dim will tell you exactly where everything is

15 second Video showing how

OK, splitting hairs. The manifest files tell DIM where to install content. However, there is no coherent plan of organization concerning where the content gets installed. It would be better to have some standardized plan of organization. People could easily find content and rearrange to their own desires.

As it stands, the primary reason I use DIM is in case I find a content error. Usually the first question from support is "How did you install the content?!" Support will not look at content that is installed manually.