RTX 3090 Viewport Performance?

Hi all, I've been lucky to have a brand new RTX 3090 PC (with Ryzen 5950x cpu) to use with DAZ Studio. In terms of IRAY render speed, it is mindblowingly fast. Just incredible when compared to my old Quadro P3200 card. But one thing that I have found to be a little underwhelming is the actual 'viewport performance' when manipulating a scene. When playing animations for example (on a daz character) or just manipulating objects and characters in real time, I find the viewport performance to be not that great when compared to the actual IRAY rendering improvements. Moving the camera arounda scene, or moving an object around still seems to make the system chug and drop frames (i.e. it is not smooth and realtime, or high framerate). By the way I'm referring to realtime viewport performance when using the 'Smooth Shaded' or 'Cartoon Shaded' display modes of course (not IRAY). Just wondering if anyone else has found viewport performance to be not such a big improvement with the RTX 3000 series? Also I have attached my Render and Preference settings for reference. Thanks in advance for any advice!  

daz settings.jpg
2058 x 1593 - 423K

Comments

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66

in sintesi: viewport cpu iray gpu

using wireframes mode's will slow more

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

vitomorantz said:

Hi all, I've been lucky to have a brand new RTX 3090 PC (with Ryzen 5950x cpu) to use with DAZ Studio. In terms of IRAY render speed, it is mindblowingly fast. Just incredible when compared to my old Quadro P3200 card. But one thing that I have found to be a little underwhelming is the actual 'viewport performance' when manipulating a scene. When playing animations for example (on a daz character) or just manipulating objects and characters in real time, I find the viewport performance to be not that great when compared to the actual IRAY rendering improvements. Moving the camera arounda scene, or moving an object around still seems to make the system chug and drop frames (i.e. it is not smooth and realtime, or high framerate). By the way I'm referring to realtime viewport performance when using the 'Smooth Shaded' or 'Cartoon Shaded' display modes of course (not IRAY). Just wondering if anyone else has found viewport performance to be not such a big improvement with the RTX 3000 series? Also I have attached my Render and Preference settings for reference. Thanks in advance for any advice!  

You could try changing the Draw Settings - > Subdivision Updates -> Delayed.

The Genesis figure loads in at Subdivision 2 meaning it has 16 times more vertices than its base model. Having a whole scene with each object subdivided will cause a lag no matter your setup.

• I have the exact same issue as you do with the exact same set-up. Rendering is superfast, manipulating characters (for example posing them) sometimes has a huge delay/lag on it. Curiously enough, in a scene with 1 G8 female and 5 G8 male characters the female posed perfectly fine yet all the other characters lagged.

Would love to get to the bottom of it.

• robograaf2robograaf2 Posts: 40
    edited March 2021

Ok. What seems to be the problem in my situation is the smoothing modifier on clothing. Turning of smoothing or setting the smoothing iterations to 0 makes the figure move normal again. Putting "interactive update" to off also solves this problem. With most clothing this seems to be of by default, some not though.

Vitomorants, maybe check any clothing you have on your characters for this as well? Would love to hear if this fixes it for you!

Post edited by robograaf2 on
  • edited November 2021

One cool trick is to have the Aux viewport showing on a tiny window. Make sure it's on wireframe. Then magically when you move your figures in the aux viewport everything is fast fast fast even in the main viewport. I use the Aux viewport to move things around and the main iRay viewport for looking at the rendered figures.

Pass along this tip if you can.

Post edited by paradasergio_864c580ce1 on
  • Female hair is often super complicated. I've noticed that composing a scene first then adding the hair as a last step works better. Totally agree about the smoothing modifier recommendations. That makes a big difference too.

• vitomorantz said:

Congrats! Yes, its mindblowing how fast it is. I'm coming from a laptop that mainly rendered off of the cpu, which usually took about 20-30+ minutes for spot renders to complete. The A6000(not as fast as an rtx 3090) I'm using does it in a matter of 2-3 seconds. surprise

Beyond what was already said here in response, there's not a whole lot you can do about viewport performance once you get to a point where you have a lot of stuff in the scene. When posing characters, I usually just hide as much stuff as possible until it becomes more responsive.

• lioncrudlioncrud Posts: 18
    edited August 2022

so odd that 3D software is soooooo far ahead of the hardware available to run it. It frustrates me to no end.  I have a 3090 and I also just expected better viewport performance.  Even with some of the best CPUs/GPUs, working in 3d environments is still SOOO SLOOW AND LAGGY.  I'm hoping that 3 years from now this will be much improved. To be fair it doesn't seem to be a unique problme to Daz, I use Blender as well and as soon as you start adding just a handful  of characters etc it's like you can feel your computer experiencing brain freeze.

Post edited by lioncrud on